Home Cancer Forum What's On Your Mind Today?

Hi , new to forum

Samseal6Samseal6 Posts: 1

Hello

has taken me a little while to post , am not in denial I am just reluctant to join a cancer forum

does that make sense ?

I have just been diagnosed , around 5 weeks ago , with pancreatic cancer

it has been caught early , as I got jaundice and looked like a simpson , and am having a PPPD/Whipple on 15th August

the Royal Surrey hospital are being amazing , feel very lucky to have been offered the op , everyone is positive and will Know if Chemo .radiotherapy needed after op

I haven’t cried , am concentrating on being positive and dealing with the type 3c diabetes it has caused and controlling my weight loss , does that make sense too ?

I just wanted to join the group so I can come here and read your inspirational and helpful stories and also somewhere to come

Sam

x

Comments

• JerseyBobJerseyBob Posts: 61 mod
    edited August 2019

@Samseal6

Hi Sam

I am so pleased that you decided to join our group. I do understand your reluctance as I had never been a member of any online group prior to being diagnosed with cancer three years ago.

I think that living with cancer can feel lonely at times even when you have a loving and supportive family around you. There is a lot to come to terms with and I found that chatting to others who were living with or after cancer helped me to take a little pressure off my family and myself. There are a lot of friendly and caring people here who will listen to and support you in any way they can. There may also be other members who have been through your procedure and who can chat to you about their experience.

I am so pleased to hear that your cancer was caught early and that that you are able to face up to it with humour and courage.

I love your comment that this is somewhere to come. Please keep in touch and let us know how you get on. We will always be here.

Kindest

Rob

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Samseal6

Hi Sam,

It is so lovely to 'meet' you.

As @RobertA , Rob has said it is great you have found the forum, we are a lovely group of people, you will find so much support and understanding here.

No, I don't think it unusual you didn't want to join a forum. When I was diagnosed with cancer in 2015, I did the opposite. I made a conscious decision not to look at anything to do with cancer, good or bad. It was part of my strategy to get through this still here. Along with a few selective people who were in my circle of support( not many), and remaining positive and hopeful, working with the drs and nurses who were so crucial to my healing and recovery, it worked.

I only joined this community in November, after I had finished all my treatment etc. My hope is that by sharing things where appropriate, others may be encouraged to not give up hope and the determination to get through this. It is by far the worst thing I have ever had to encounter, everyone has their own way of dealing with it. What ever works is good.

When you feel like chatting, or need support or just to chat about normal life stuff, as all of that still somehow trickles on, in the midst of all the cancer stuff, then you will find a friendly listening ear here.

I am so pleased though that it was found early, even though a massive shock for you, it is good there is a treatment plan in place.

As for the tears... again, there is no right or wrong way in this, just go with the flow of where you are, day by day.

Will be thinking of you next week, let us know how you get on. Keep in touch.

Chat soon,

Lou x