Weekend news anyone??...

SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 780 ✭✭✭✭

Good evening lovely people,

Just wondering how everyone's weekends have gone?

I hope the heatwave hasn't been too challenging for you. Having cancer treatment in these temperatures can be more uncomfortable than it usually is. Hope you all have been able to find some shade and coolness somewhere.

I do love being warm though 😊.

We managed to get to the beach last evening, had a paddle in the sea. It was lovely and still very busy. Mind you lots had left already as we passed them on the road, massive long tailbacks, so when we returned we used a different route.

Just had BBQ for dinner, followed by toasted marshmallows and smores. Family love them! 😃.

Lord of the Rings 'fest' for us tonight. It's like comfort food to us...lol 😊.

Chat soon,

Lou x

Comments

• RobertARobertA Posts: 613 ✭✭✭✭

@Sunshinedaff

Hi Lou

Saturday morning was shopping in the sales. I bought much needed shoes, jeans and shirts.

It was very hot and we walked down to the seafront to find a cool breeze and ice cream in the afternoon. We did find the ice cream, but It was still too hot for me and I had one of my routine hot flushes. My consultant offered me diethylstilbestrol (don’t ask me how to pronounce that!) which is said to be effective for men on androgen deprivation therapy. I had turned it down originally because I am rattling with all the tablets I am already taking, but I am changing my mind now🥵

I spent today in front of the TV watching England play India in the cricket World Cup. England needed to win to stay in the competition and they did 👍. Celebrated with a beer and pasta for dinner.

Mary is at Hospice tomorrow and I am planning a day at the piano working on a new song.

Have a lovely week all. 

Rob x 

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 780 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Rob,

Your weekend sounds very relaxing and pleasant, though sorry to hear about the hot flushes, they can be dismal, even worse in this heat.

I hope you have had an enjoyable day working on your new music, I think playing music is relaxing in itself. If I am playing a new piece, and find it difficult, I still enjoy the time.

Today has been a running around day for me, watching Wimbledon now though, which is great. I would love to go back, I have only been once, in 1977! I can still remember that day, it was fabulous. 😊.

I omitted to mention, my weekend adventures included having a mishap with a kettle of boiling water....ouch! Cooking spaghetti, I poured boiling water directly over my hand, oh the pain, the pain!!😥. Ran it under hot water, family wanting me to go to A/E, it was starting to blister, we wrapped my fingers in cling film all night, and I took lots of pain meds, then we went to the beach. No A/E. Saturday night? Checked out the NHS advice. Someone has been praying for me, as yesterday, the blisters changed from wrinkle ones to bubble blisters. This evening, as I type this, although my fingers are still very red and swollen, the bubble blisters have gone down, haven't burst. Looks so much better, I am amazed really. I still can't do any washing up though! Hahaha, 😉.

Another beautiful day today, the colours in the evening are just stunning.

Chat soon,

Lou xx

@Sunshinedaff

Oh Lou

How on earth could you not mention pouring boiling water over your hand. I can't even imagine the pain and then you went to the beach!

I had quite a frustrating day with the music. I was trying to record a piece on the electric piano and kept making mistakes, one of which was with the very last chord 🙄. After all that, I couldn't figure out how to load the music onto my memory stick. Haha, Modern technology is great when you know how to use it🤔

Hope your hand is healing and not hurting too much.

Rob xx

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 333 mod

@RobertA

Hi Rob,

Sorry to hear your day was frustrating, and then to not be able to load it is just more frustration!

I hope you are are having a better day today, it is mayhem here, new boiler going in, so gas man and plumber here sorting it all, now they are finding out about the lovely (not!) handiwork of previous workmanship..mmmm...not sure how long it will take. We have the gas back on, so I am going to make some blackcurrant jam, with my first homegrown blackcurrants..yum, yum, my fave. My hand is so much better thank you, just red now. I am so pleased, seeing as I am left-handed too!

Have a great afternoon,

Chat soon,

Lou x

@Sunshinedaff

Hi Lou

Pleased your hand is getting better.

Hope your boiler is in and working properly at last. Blackcurrant jam. Lovely.

I finally figured out how to download the music. It was easy once I finally worked it out. Just two buttons to press. Haha. Good job no one was around to record my language🤬

Take care

Rob xx

@RobertA

Good afternoon Rob, 
    It has been another glorious start to the week here, expect you have it too in lovely Jersey!
    Hope you are having a fabulous time with Mary's sisters visiting. At least you now have an excuse for tea and cake and wine and scrummy food! 😃.

Chat to you later,

Lou x

@LouiseJ

Hi Lou
    Good to hear from you.  Yes, the ladies are here. They arrived yesterday afternoon and we took them down to a lovely beach bar straight from the airport.
    It is incredibly hot and we have had to warn them to be careful as  the Sun can be very fierce here, much more so than Manchester (of course) though the difference may not be obvious at first sight. 
    Haha, as mentioned elsewhere, they have no ‘stop’ button and they did not get up till after 10.00 this morning.  They are in bed again now but will be raring to hit the pub sooner rather than later. As you say, I am sticking to the scrummy food and 🍰 

Look forward to chatting later.
    xx
    @RobertA

In  bed??   . Hahahaha 😂😂 'no stop button', don't let them catch you saying that! Lol!! 😃😃.

Enjoy the relaxation, and rest ( well sort of rest). 

Lou xx

@LouiseJ
    Evening Lou
    You wouldn't believe it would you? I think @Lesley would be very disappointed with them. 🤨

We are treating them to lunch at the St Brelades Bay Hotel tomorrow. Hope they are up in time 🤣🤣🤣
    Rob xx
    @RobertA

Hi Rob, 

No doubt you have had a brilliant afternoon, lunching with the ladies. It has been beautiful again today. 

Sat in the garden at the moment, enjoying the sun while watching the blackbird mum and dad teach the little ones. They are very vocal! Surprised they even dare come in our garden with the cats around. Charlie got swooped on yesterday, and he wasn't even interested in them. Think they were making sure he knew they were in charge..hahaha. =)

Lou xx

edited July 10
    @LouiseJ

Evening Lou from a shattered Rob. Yes, it has been a lovely day and we had a fantastic lunch in wonderful surroundings at St Brelade’s Bay which is just beautiful. 
    A lot of alcohol has been consumed and the visitors are still sitting with a bottle each so I will be out by the time they are up in the morning.  I have blood tests and my quarterly infusion at 8.00 am. Always a slightly anxious time waiting for the results, but it will be fine. 
    Your garden is lovely and what a pleasure it must be to watch the blackbirds. I guess Charlie has matured with age and he knows he can’t catch them so doesn’t  waste his energy. 

Catch up soon. Am sending a couple of pics unless I mess up. I took them from the hotel verandah.  

Rob xx

omment
    Hi Rob,
     Wow! Such beautiful pics, what a lovely beach. Ahhh, wish I was there! 
    By now, you will have had your appointment, I hope that all went ok.
    I can imagine you are shattered, 24/7 entertaining is exhausting, no matter how much you enjoy it. 
    Do you have another full afternoon and evening planned?
    Hope you get a chance to just sit and be for a little while.

Chat later,

Lou x
    Hi Lou
    Mary and I wish you were here too. Come and stay - bring the family, we would love that. 

Yes, I have had a few needles stuck in me this morning.  Will get the results next week. Feeling positive.
    But about the important stuff. It is the cricket semi final today England v Australia, and my friend Geoff and I are spending the day watching it. Australia in trouble as I write 👍 But they are fighters and its not over yet. 

Chat later

Rob x 
    @RobertA

Morning Rob, 

I hope you enjoyed celebrating England's win yesterday!  (sorry @Anneb , Margy, I know in your household you would not think it good!)

You will be pleased to hear I have finally finished painting for the moment! I am so pleased to be honest, just been cleaning the windows of front porch, so it all looks clean and fresh now. Now for the rest of the house, having the boiler changed, and subsequent water issues since has meant nothing has been put back in place! haha!

Been up for hours already, enjoying a nice coffee and sit down while plumber is here trying to fix things! Enforced rest!
    I was disappointed to see that it was darker this morning at 4.30 than previous days, actually had to put a light on! 

Have a great day, chat later, 

Lou x

@LouiseJ

Hi Lou

Your house sounds like the Forth Bridge. Once you have finished, it is time to start all over again. Then you have that garden to manage too. 

It is the French Market weekend here and the girls are all heading off there now. Hopefully, there will be cheese coming home. I am at MacMillan this afternoon.  I think they may be having a cake 🍰and coffee afternoon so I will pop my head in and have a chat and update. Good timing. 🤣
    They are opening a bookstore and café in town in a couple of weeks and we have loads of books which they might like. 

Chat later

Rob x 

@RobertA

Hi Rob, 
    Hahaha! The garden is certainly like that, especially for Mark. He takes care of the trees and shrubs etc, and no sooner has he made it round the garden, he has to start again! It's not his favourite job! One year we had a wasp nest in one of the apple trees, but we didn't know about it until he was up a ladder trimming it! Then we knew, or he did! Scary and horrible!

I am done with the decorating for now, I need a break! haha!

Hope you are enjoying tea and cake with Macmillans this afternoon.

Chat later, 

Lou x
  • AnnebAnneb Posts: 39 ✭✭
    @Sunshinedaff
    @RobertA
    Good afternoon Lou and Robert.
    Congratulations on the cricket. We are not a cricket family but credit where credit is due. Excellent game by the English boys.
    We are a australian rules football family...lol...
    Had a great morning picking lemons, grapefruit, mandarines and oranges. Luckily lots of family to give it too. Far too much for us alone.
    I hope you are both happy and healthy and having a lovely weekend in the sun.
    Relatively cold now, i think our high is 7 today but still lovely and sunny..
    Lots and lots of snow on the mountain which is giving the ski lovers a wonderful season.
    Lovely weekend to you both
    Margy 💖💖
    edited July 13
    @Anneb @Sunshinedaff

Hi Margy and Lou
    How Lovely to hear from you Margy

The Aussies are staying in England for a Test series after the World Cup so will have the chance to get their own back. Mary and I have tickets for the Old Trafford Test on 5th September - they are like gold dust so we are thrilled to have them. 

The weather here is gorgeous and Mary’s two sisters are here to enjoy it with us. We are heading off to the French Festival in town and there are lots of food stalls. I will be looking for cheese and saucisses. There are roundabouts, balloons and dancers so it will be fun for all the family.  Our little island is only 14 miles off the French coast and we have a big French connection. 

What fun picking all those lovely fruits and lovely to have a big family to share with.  I bet the snow capped mountains look beautiful in the cool sunshine. 

I am keeping well thanks Margy. I hope that you and your family are good too. 

Rob xx
    edited July 13
    This is St Brelades Bay where we had lunch tge other day.
    @RobertA, @Anneb

Hi Rob, Margy, (morning!)

Lovely to hear from you! All that fruit sounds amazing, I have decided to try my hand at making marmalade, would you like to FedEx some of that fruit over to me? Then I could send some back to you in a jar! Hahaha =)
    Just got home from seeing some friends for tea and cake! While we were out the girls made some cookies, which are delish! And they cleaned up afterwards!  ;) 
    Cloudy here earlier, but now it is lovely and sunny, so going in the garden for a bit.

Hope you have a good evening Rob, and a good day Margy, chat soon, 

Lou xx
    @Sunshinedaff ;
    @RobertA
    Hello  Lou  and Robert 
    I would love to send you the fruit. I was going to make marmalade too but i start my new job to morrow and decided not to put pressure on myself.
    It is at the Australian Tax Office. Just 4 hours a day Mon - Thurs. I am really looking forward to it.
    Yes Robert, sorry i was off the air for quite awhile. In late April/may and half of june i worked full time for the Australian Electoral Commission. We had our Federal Election. So that kept me on my toes.long long hours. Usually 7am untill 7.30pm. Then electional day it was 7am to 12.30am...now that was a long hard day. But i enjoyed working again after 2 years. It was lovely to mix with heaps of people again.
    Your photos look brilliant Robert. What a beautiful place to live.
    Yes the snow looks fantastic. Cold ofcourse here today, another top of 7 degrees but no sun at all.
    Your weekend sounds so so great. I love cheese of all varieties, especially blue. Have a wonderful time Robert with Mary and her sisters. What a great trip.
    I am not sure whether we will do well in the cricket for a few years. They will have to build on their moral and talent for awhile. The sand paper saga decimated the sport here. It was a shocker, the silly boys. Destroying the love of the game for so many fans, and we have always been brilliant at the game. No need for cheating.. i am sure they have learnt a huge lesson on how not to do it.
    Well better go and start the day.
    Have a wonderful wonderful weekend. Keep safe, happy and heathy.
    Margy 💖💖💖💖💖
    Photo taken from a friend's property about 1klm from our home.
    Looks cold...lol...and is cold here today.💖💖thank heavens we are inside for lunch...lol...big fire, love open fire places💖💖

@Anneb, @RobertA,

Wow! Stunning photo Margy!! Love it!! 
    I know now there are two places to visit, Jersey and Albury!! 

😀😀

Lou xx
    @Anneb @LouiseJ

Good evening ladies,
    Wow, I've never seen a game of cricket like that. Two tough and very sporting teams battling it out to the very last ball. We had a great lunch overlooking the lighthouse followed by the last couple of hours of cricket full of suspense. I don't know how those Kiwis manage to produce rugby and cricket of such quality with a population of under 5k. Amazing. 

Lovely dramatic pic Margy. So different to where we live. What a wonderful landscape. Jersey is lovely but it is really small and we need to get off it sometimes. 
    Wow, you have been so busy too. I do hope that you enjoy your new job. Four hours a day sounds just right but how popular will you be, working for the Tax office 😂. 
    Rob xx
    @Sunshinedaff
    @RobertA
    Morning Lou and Robert 
    Yes, we live in a very beautiful part of Australia. The scenery is just amazing.
    I do love mountains, except driving in them in the snow, after all these years i still get terrified...lol...i will send you a photo of my home in the upper murray where my mum and dad had a prooerty and i grew up. It is only an hours drive from here, which is only a hop step and jump for us. An hour or more is what we call " just down the road "  lol.....being such a huge country.
    I think it is the most beautiful place on earth. We try and go back whenever we can. Catch up with long established friends in the little pub which is on the murray river. I am a bit biased...lol....i could ramble on forever but i will let the photos do the talking🤣🤣🤣🤣

Oh yes, the Kiwis are just brilliant. The whole population are an incredible and resilient and gorgeous people..and magnificent scenery as well.

How was the French Festival Robert. Did you buy lots of cheese? You lucky thing. 

When working for a Federal Government here in Australia, they advise you not to put up on any social media that you work for the government, especially the Taxation department🤣🤣🤣🤣 so yes Robert. .lol... even the government suggest to be careful of who you tell...🤣🤣🤣....i feel like i am starting with MI5 and James Bond will be my boss.
    Oh by the way my son works there too, and he will be my Team Leader😲😲😲 that will be great, if i make a mistake he can fix it 😀😀😀
    I adore working with him, he is a wonderful person. We have worked together for many years before but i have been his Manager, so the tables have turned😂😂🤣🤣
    The top and bottom phots are of the same valley, it looks straight up to Mt. Kosiosko.

Anyway my lovely people, i had better go and get ready for my first day. I hope you both have a brilliant week
    Love
    Margy 💖💖💖💖

@Sunshinedaff
    @RobertA
    This is the little pub, by the way there is only a pub and little general store in Jingellic and population of about 50...lol...

@Anneb, @RobertA

Good morning Margy, Rob,

Well Margy, by now you have finished your first day at work, how was it? Hope everyone else is nice, of course, you have Beau there, but he is your boss, 😀. 
    You know how much I love seeing photos of where you live, they are simply stunning. 
    The colours in the one of Jingellic are incredible. The wonder of nature!
    I didn't watch the cricket Rob, as you know, I was glued to the tennis. It was a very tense few hours, every point fought over to the end!! It was fantastic! Margy, do you get Wimbledon televised in Australia? 
    Early start for me again, lol, today's main task is to jet wash the patio in the back garden. I am about to wake the neighbours up! I really enjoy jet washing, it's like colouring with water! 😂. It doesn't take a lot to make me smile😂. 
    It is going to be another hot day, last night was very hot. 
    Chat to you later lovely friends,

Lou x
    @Anneb @LouiseJ

Hi Margy and Lou

Oh Margy
    What glorious photographs. I am not surprised you think it is the most beautiful place on earth.  Wow, Jingellic has a population of 50. Thank goodness it has a pub and general store. We have 5 pubs within a five minute walk from our house - make it fifteen minutes and there are dozens.
    Haha, an hour’s drive just down the road! We could drive to any location within the island in less than that.  It is amazing how different our surroundings are, but each location has its attractions. I I remember when Mary and I were in Australia, we imagined that living somewhere like Alice Springs would almost feel like being in an island without a sea as it is so remote. 

I hope that you are enjoying your new job. It must have been reassuring to have Beau there to make you feel at home. Literally🤣🤣. 

The French Festival was great and the weather was lovely. They had a fantastic open air live band and we danced, drank wine and ate wild boar sausages. We bought a lot of different cheeses, some of which were a bit ripe and smelly so we had to wrap them up very securely. 
    Mary’s two sisters are visiting so we are doing the tourist thing which has been a lot of fun. Sometimes we forget what we have here and having visitors makes us feel as if we are on holiday too. We even went in an all day coach trip yesterday. Our roads are so narrow and winding and I just don't know how those drivers do it, especially as they are talking all the time as well. 
    Rob xx
    Some photos

The first was taken at the  Corbière Phare restaurant. I see I’m getting fat☹️and no wonder🍰🍾
    The second is at the bar at the Moulin de Lecq. It is an old mill and you can see the cogs behind the bar. It was a watermill and the cogs used to turn round but Health and Safety soon stopped that. 
    The third is a sandcastle made by the Jersey Sandman. He told us that it took ten weeks to build- it is very big and I could not get it all in the photograph. Donations are voluntary and all the money goes to charity.