Encouraging news....

I read this news report this morning, I thought it was really encouraging. You know me, I like to share good news that may help others to keep going and remain positive.

@Lucy_ODonnell who did one of the Q&A's is also included in the report.

We need to hold on to hope, and while there are still many cancers that remain elusive to treatments and may not get the funding or 'headline news' that others get, things are moving in the right direction. Cancer, we're coming to get you!

Lou x

Comments

• RobertARobertA Posts: 489 ✭✭✭✭

@LouiseJ

Hi Lou

Thanks for posting this article. It is really encouraging, especially for those of us with incurable cancers.

It will be of particular interest to the younger members of the community who have so much of their lives before them.

I have probably already mentioned my niece who contracted incurable cancer at 39 and was placed on a trial drug. The drug was licensed for general use last year and at 43 now, my niece is able to live a full and enjoyable life.

My own advanced prostate cancer apparently responds well to a new 'seek and destroy' treatment which involves a molecule which finds the cancer cells and binds to a protein on the surface of the cancer cells and then blasts them with a radioactive isotope which stops after 1mm meaning that healthy tissue is not damaged.

Really encouraging.

Rob x

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 286 mod

@RobertA

Hi Rob,

It is really encouraging news for your niece to be given a chance with the new drugs during the trial, and brilliant that they are now available to others with cancer. For yourself too, it is wonderful that the cancer you have is responding well to the new treatment. I think it shows that we must never give up and to always hope that in future days, months and years, more and more treatments will become available and will prove effective in treating various cancers.

Hope you are having a good day, chat soon,

Lou x

@LouiseJ

Hi Lou and all our readers.

Yes, it is encouraging and we must never never give up. There are always new and exciting treatments being introduced and you are so right. We will fight this horrible disease and we will win.

Rob x

• jacksprat_x1jacksprat_x1 Posts: 161 ✭✭✭

So encouraging Lou, very interesting Article. How I admire all the people who give so much to help us in our very different diagnosies. Everytime I see my Surgeon, Oncologist and the wonderful nurses, doctors and health workers I thank them of course but want to say thank you so much for taking that decision to study and help the many people that need your help! Wonderful people! Thank you so much for going into that field of treatment.

Lv Jackie xx💖🙋‍♀️

@jacksprat_x1

I wholeheartedly agree with you Jackie, I know I had such good care, consideration, and even now, after treatment is over my oncologist is wanting to ensure I continue to be in good health. After each part of my treatment I wrote a letter to each department just to thank them. I had two birthdays during my treatment, each time we made sure to celebrate it with them too. I am also so thankful for the research that takes place today, men and women who dedicate their lives to finding ways to help treat cancer more effectively. They are all awesome!

Lou xx

@LouiseJ @jacksprat_x1

I agree wholeheartedly with both of you. I had to spend a month at Addenbrookes in Cambridge because the treatment I needed was not available in Jersey. I was treated incredibly well by all of the staff there. As a matter of course, I gave little thank you gifts to each department and wrote a special letter of appreciation to the Radiotherapy Department. They were so pleased about that and I received a very excited phone call at home. When I said I imagined that most people would acknowledge their wonderful services, they told me that it is unusual and most people don’t bother. I was amazed.

Rob x

• jacksprat_x1jacksprat_x1 Posts: 161 ✭✭✭

My goodness I can’t believe they don’t get that thanks. I have a birthday coming up and thats great idea Lou! Our special biscuits went down with the staff! I thought that at they might get a little treat with a cuppa!

I bumped into my stoma nurse that looked after me on Friday out if the blue. She was walking along with a group of staff and I stopped her and thanked her for her encouragement and kindness to me and i told her she gave me confidence from day one that I could look after my stoma like my best friend. She thanked me for telling her that. I think she was quite touched especially in front of her colleagues. They are a great team.

I hope you both have a great day Rob and Lou. You are also two of the best. Your help is wonderful.

Lv Jackie xx 🙋‍♀️

@jacksprat_x1

Morning Jackie 😊

Oh that is lovely, I expect your nurse was really touched to hear that from you. I do think it is terrible how little thanks our medical teams do get from people. There is so much 'entitlement attitude', and little gratitude it seems. When I was at the hospital with Hannah after her accident, we witnessed first hand the abuse they sometimes receive from patients. I've heard about it, and there are notices up about it, but I hadn't seen it until then. I think all of us who were there had the same thoughts about that patient! Shocking behaviour!

They would really appreciate celebrating your birthday Jackie, it brings joy and hope to everyone. We decided that each time we had to go to the hospital for me, that we would take 'life' in with us, there is so much sadness, sickness, death, obviously, in hospitals but I thought, even though I was 'sick', I wasn't going to go in with that mindset. I remember feeling guilty about laughing in the chemo ward because I could see some looked like they were really suffering, but the nurses actually said 'please don't stop, we need the laughter, it makes a difference'. They do such a marvellous job.

Hope you have a good day Jackie, chat later,

Lou xx