Weight gain

I was diagnosed with stage 4bowel cancer last February had my chemo doing ok waiting for reversal but omg can't cope with weight gain I've put on nearly 2 stone don't know if it's an age thing I'm 60 I'm 5 1 + I look like a barrel any ideas I'm still working but haven't got energy for lot excessive I do walk quite a bit

Comments

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 286 mod

Hi @Oconnorm

I know how you feel trying to keep the weight, not succeeding, and then feeling 'aaargh' about it all! I thought I would lose weight because of cancer, but it wasn't that way at all. I put it on, meds and general lack of activity, it was horrible.

I think when we get older, it easier to gain weight, and much harder to lose it.

Do you think you might be able to go swimming or do an aqua class? I only say this as this is what I do.

Before cancer, my exercise consisted of endless walks around school, and gardening. When I was diagnosed, my oncologist suggested I get an exercise bike to help with the weight gain that would occur. So we did, but I didn't like using it, as my legs hurt so much! haha. After treatment finished, I took a deep breath and went down to my local swimming pool. I was very nervous (understatement!), but I met some lovely people, no-one stares at you, everyone there for their own reasons, many of which are due to illnesses etc, trying to get fit. It has made a massive impact on my general health and well-being. I'm still not a size 6 (🤣), but I absolutely love it. It is also great for me as it is low impact, which means my bones and joints aren't made worse, being in the water really helps.

I hope you are able to find something to help, but remember you are still recovering from the treatment, so be kind to yourself.

😊

Lou x

• RobertARobertA Posts: 478 ✭✭✭✭

Hi @Oconnorm

I’m on a steroid treatment at the moment and my weight has gone up quite a bit in the past couple of months. I think that age can be a factor, but in my case, I am just hungry all the time and I just can’t stop eating. I am naturally quite slim and I thought I would just get away with it, but I was wrong. ☹️.

A good friend who has lost a lot of weight over the last year or so told me she has a good breakfast and then has her main meal at lunchtime. She may have a salad or soup for her evening meal. If she gets hungry in the evening, she will eat an apple. Apart from that, she does not eat anything after 7.pm but may have a glass of water if she needs filling up.

I am going to give it a try, but I’m not sure I can manage without a piece of carrot cake and glass of wine from time to time. Watch this space.

Rob x