Furry friends (the best recovery buddies!)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited February 15 in Cancer Coffee Break

Had to jump at the chance to start this thread off - anyone who's had a pet knows what a comfort they can be during tough times, and who doesn't love sharing pics of their goofy animals?! So let's get a mega thread going of everyone with their animal recovery buddies!

These are my two old lady cats, Mags and Edith. They're 18 (which is 88 in cat years!), and Mags is deaf and has cat dementia (stares at the wall a lot), but they're the best and I'm honoured to give them a retirement home. Somehow they always seem to know when I'm not feeling very well and come and sit with me to cheer me up (but maybe they just want to be warm...)

Tagged:

Comments

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 257 mod

@emilyrose

Hahaha, is it silly of me Emily to be so excited about posting pics of my two, wonderful, simply the best, cats.

Love this idea, I can't wait to see everyone's furry friends.

My two are Charlie and Lola, brother and sister. They are 9 yrs old, and are very much a part of our family. There is no place off-limits to them.

We are all nuts about them.

Charlie is a tabby, and bless him, he too has cancer, diagnosed last summer. A skin condition, turned out to reveal he had a massive tumour in his thorax. Thankfully we have a version of the Supervet 5 mins away, and the team there have been fantastic. We almost lost him, once during surgery, and then after when he got MRSA. That almost killed him off quicker than the cancer. Unfortunately, the vets were unable to remove all of the cancer as it is attached to blood vessels, but he has made such a good recovery from everything he has been through, the vets are very keen as are we, to maintain his health. Obviously, we have to keep a very careful eye on him all the time, watching for any change.

So his fur is growing back, for many months he was a mohican, but it is slow. He doesn't go out as much, or wandering as he used to, but it is winter. He was inside for 6 months. He had to live in a cage for two months as he wasn't allowed to jump.

Charlie post-op but pre-MRSA.

Charlie as he is today.

He is my hero, I am convinced he knew I had cancer in the summer before I was diagnosed as he would not leave my left side alone, kept sniffing me, and pawing at me.

Lola, is a dark tortie, and she is such a bundle of fluff, we have some toys in the lounge, that she has laid claim to, I will post a pic because then you will see how much of our home is dedicated to their comfort and pleasure!! We don't care!

I love your two, 18 yrs how marvellous! I love their names too. They are so gorgeous.

Now to find those pics!

Lou x

• Oh my gosh @LouiseJ they are so gorgeous! So cute them cuddled up together at the window :) Poor Charlie's really been through it! I guess he can probably understand better than a lot of humans what it's like going through a big illness like cancer... Bless him in his little cone 😍

• FranFran Posts: 4

Feather babies Honey and Joey have seen me through tough times. Two little crackers who rule the roost wouldn't have it any other way!

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭

@Fran

Hi Fran,

Honey and Joey have amazing colours! They are beautiful. Are they talkative?

Lou x

Joey 2nd picture used to talk then Honey joined us she is the boss bird what she says goes. They are not caged free to fly about play on their house with their toys, caged when I go out and bed time when their cover goes on. Both chirp and sing a lot also screetch depending on their mood.

Oh wow really! I can’t imagine what that must be like! Flying about here and there, haha. Do they ever get naughty, like, ‘ bedtime? no not for me!’ and you have to chase them round the house ? I never knew they had personalities like that. Pets are so precious aren’t they.

Lou.

edited March 19

Oh yes they definitely have personalities I know where I am in the pecking order the bottom! They have their ways, how they like things every mirror come across is theirs naughty yes luckily they are not destructive but then again they get all the attention they want. Going out for a while today so will definitely get the cold shoulder for a few hours. Heating is left on for them radio and full seed dishes and treats but I am a traitor I leave them lol.

Fran

@Fran

Hi Fran,

Haha! The things we do for our pets!

I have just lost my new dresssing gown to Charlie, he already has taken ownership of my old one, but no, he wants the new one too. Basically we share it! I drape it on the sofa, he sits on one half and I under the other half? Haha🤪.

Lou x

Hi Lou

As long as you and Charlie share great, ❤️🐱🐈love our pets. 🤗

@Laura

Laura, this is it! xx

• LauraLaura Posts: 33

Hi Lou.....

Furry heaven as I have 5 cats and 2 dogs!!! 🐶🐕🐈

Laura xx❤