Bowel cancer

Tracy66Tracy66 Posts: 23

Hi i am tracy just been diagnosed with bowel cancer still waiting to hear what my treatment will be the waiting is awful.i have an 8 cm by 4 cm by 2 cm tumour in my bowel.

Has anyone got any info on there bowel csncer journey to help me see whats coming x

Tagged:

Comments

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 694 ✭✭✭✭

@Tracy66

Hi Tracy,

Good morning and a very warm welcome to you .

I am very sorry to hear about you recent diagnosis, I can understand how awful it is waiting for results, and then not knowing how it will be treated is very hard.

I am so glad you have found us here, there are several lovely people who are also being treated for bowel cancer, I am sure they will come and chat too. Some are in the midst of treatment , others further on. Sharing experiences can be so helpful when going through this as sometimes you can think you are the only one! Obviously everyone is very different but you will find many similarities in either treatment, side-effects or both.

Once you know the treatment plan, which I hope will be very soon, you can get started on being free of the cancer. At the moment you may be feeling completely terrified, in shock, your mind and emotions all over the place. But you are not alone in this Tracy, as much as you want to, we are here to support you, provide a listening ear, to help you through this time.

I had breast cancer, but even though the cancer is different I do understand and totally get how a cancer diagnosis just explodes in your life and everything changes. Stay as positive as you can, focus on the end result throughout your treatment, taking one day at a time.

Please come and chat anytime Tracy,

Lou x

• Tracy66Tracy66 Posts: 23

Thank you so much lou yes its very scary times would love to chat with anyone in the same boat to put my mind at rest and will stay in touch.thank u for answering me xx

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 694 ✭✭✭✭

@Tracy66

I know Tracy, once you know the way forward, you will be able to set your mind to getting through each stage. The fear will try and dig in deep, try not to let it. Stay away from Google etc, nothing ever good comes from doing that!

I had to think carefully about who I had around me, as I have family history which doesn't end well, and some friends who only thought the worst. I was very selective about who I had supporting me. I was determined to get through this.

I am sure you will make friends here too, people who will really understand.

🤗🤗

Lou x

Thank you for all the advice and yes i have been getting negative feedback from some but putting distance between us as need to be positive.i will fight this with everything i have xx

• LesleyLesley Posts: 134 ✭✭✭

Hi Tracy, Lesley here, sorry to hear about your diagnosis, I too have bowel cancer, and managed to get myself two tumours in there!🙄I'm Half way throughout my treatment! Had chemo first for 4 rounds had a rest now on five weeks of chemo tablets and radiotherapy , then a rest then surgery hopefully to get rid of the devils! You have come to the right place here! There's are some lovely people here ! We are all in the same boat and understand how's you are feeling! I was terrified at first, but you do get through it! We are all here for you! Xx

Oh bless u for answering me i hope u recover quickly its scary isnt it .they havent told me much yet had scans waiting on treatment now xx

Please stay in touch with me would love to know how u are and how its going we are all here for each other

Xxxx

If you dont mind me asking my tumour is 8 cm is that a large tumour xx

Hello Tracy yes will definitely keep in touch! I'm not sure about the size of your tumour,I don't know the size of mine, I'm an ostrich! Don't want to know how big mine are too frightened to know! They know this at the hospital, I'm such a wimp don't even want to know how much I weigh now!😂the nurses know this! As long as they have a plan I will go along with it! Xx

Me again! You will find out how wonderful the nursing staff are! They are absolute Angels! You will come across the odd one! But in general they are brilliant! Nothing is too much and when you go home after your treatments never be worried about contacting them day or night! They will give you all the contact numbers you need to ring ! They really look after you! I live in Lincoln and I cannot praise the staff enough! You will get through this! Xxx

Thank you lesley i apprecsite any advice you give me i am a wimp too dont like this at all but going to give it my all

Sounds like i will be well looked after so far so far xx

Yes you will!👍xxx

Oh and as Lou said! Keep away from Google! Xx

Yeah have learnt my lesson there scares the crap out of you xx

Me again, I should imagine you will hear from the hospital pretty quickly for your next appointment, I expect by post to see your oncologist, if you can try and take someone with you, friend or family, you won't be able to take everything in at first its all a blur! But, you will be fine! Dont worry,they are there to help you!☺xx

What is the first step is in surgery or chemo or radio xx

Ok thank you xx

I can't really say in your case but with mine they had to reduce the size of the tumour before surgery, this gives them more chance of getting all the cancer so I had chemotherapy first ,but everyone is different, while you wait you worry that they have forgotten you! That's not the case ,there are teams of medical people looking at your scans trying to work out the best way forward, they are very skilled in what they do but at this moment in time it's hard to think that way! Don't worry they are doing the best for you! This is the hardest time ! Waiting! It's a nightmare!Hold tight! Xx

God it really is awful waiting i have been told its quite big and may have to shrink it first i giess rhats chemo is it ?

Ia that what u had done xx

Yes I had chemo first but sometimes they give radiotherapy , I had to have chemotherapy because I had the two tumours, one was too near another organ to have the radiotherapy! When they scanned me after the chemo the larger one had responded to the chemo and shrunk but the one lower down hadn't so, they are targeting the lower one now! All pretty complicated ! Just want to get rid of now! Had enough of this game! 🤔

I bet its horeible just seen my friend fo theough it so i know whats coming.

You will get there.

Did you lose ur hair xxx

No Havant lost my hair,got a tiny bit thinner but hardly noticeable! The chemotherapy they give for bowel cancer doesn't affect your hair I find that amazing! I thought all chemotherapy made your hair fall out but , apparently not! So we are really lucky xx

It's hard, not going to pretend it's not, but you will get through it you will have lots of support from family friends and us! Xx

Thank ypu so much xxx

• MpatzMpatz Posts: 1

Hi Tracy. So sorry to hear you are going through this. I was diagnosed in October 2015 and honestly thought my life was ending.

Following surgery and 6 months of chemo which was rough but from somewhere you get an inner strength to cope I can now say I'm cancer free. Just had a routine colonoscopy which is always very nerve-wracking but the results are clear. I have regular checks with my oncologist and surgeon and this will continue for 10 years.

It has not been easy but stay positive I completed Race for Life on my final day of chemo with the pump still in situ a very emotional day with my daughters. You are a strong woman and you will get through this.

If you need to chat more please feel free to contact me x

Thsnk you so much for that you have given me some hope i will be positive thank you .much apprecited xx

• RobertARobertA Posts: 492 ✭✭✭✭

@Tracy66

Hi Tracy

I am so pleased you came across our community and I hope that you have found the great posts from @Lesley and @Mpatz informative and encouraging.

This is a group of wonderful people. We may have different cancers, but we know the feeling of vulnerability that goes with a cancer diagnosis and we are here to support and encourage one another. I hope that you will keep in touch.

Rob x

• JerseyBobJerseyBob Posts: 26 mod

@Mpatz

Lovely to hear from you and welcome to our friendly community.

It is great to hear such a positive story. It is truly inspiring and encouraging. Thank you for posting.

Rob x

I will keep in touch xx

Hi Tracy hope you ok? Have you heard anything yet from the hospital? I had a session of radiotherapy this morning and crashed out this afternoon! Wide awake now bet I wont sleep tonight!

Good post from Mpatz ,very positive! See we will get there!

We are strong women!🙆‍♀️

Glad u ok yes we aew.only hospital thing that csme tjrough was a pet scan whatever thst is .

Hope u are ok now chilling at hime xx