Help with travel cost

Hi does anyone know how i would get help with travel cost i will be going up to london every day to have my treatment i will be going on the train

Answers

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭

Hi @Vinni06 ,

I am not sure about this, but I wonder if you contacted the Macmillan Cancer Support group they would be able to send some one to chat with you and give you some financial advice, I think they are good at making sure things available to cancer patients are accessed, they can help you with forms etc.

Give them a ring, you may have to make an appointment but I am sure they can advise you.

Welcome to the group, I wish you well during the course of your treatment and hope it is successful for you.

You are welcome to join in with any other chats etc, if we can help or support you, everyone is very friendly.

Take care,

Lou x

• hessomhessom Posts: 112 Community Admin

Hi Vinni, welcome to the Community. As @Sunshinedaff said, this is a tricky one! I don't know of any charities that provide direct financial aid but will ask internally to see if there is anything we know of.

As Lou mentioned, you can also look at options to help reduce costs, such as a season ticket for your train journey.

I'll let you know if we can suggest anything else!

• SheShe Posts: 2

Hi

i think if you receive certain benefits you can contact hospital transport and they can arrange transport for you.

or contact your g p and explain to the receptionist that you have to go to hospital every day for treatment and can they arrange transport for you ?

Good luck

• KitKatKitKat Posts: 32 ✭✭

Probably a bit late now as I have only just joined this community.

I had to have treatment at the Royal Marsden in London a few years ago. Because I live in Derby and it was over 2 hours travel, we were allowed to have hospital accomodation so we didn't have to travel every day. Travelled every Monday morning and then home every Friday evening for 6 weeks.

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 319 mod

Hi @KitKat

Welcome to the community, so glad you have found us here. I think that is great that you were provided with accommodation to help you during your treatment in London. That must have taken some of the strain off you, even though you were away from home during the week.

Rob, who lives in Jersey has mentioned before that when he has to travel for treatment here the hospital have provided accommodation for him to stay in too.

The stress of having to find suitable accommodation in an unfamiliar place, is not something you need when facing cancer treatment, I am glad that was helpful for you.

Lou x

• RobertARobertA Posts: 574 ✭✭✭✭

Hi @KitKat

Yes, I have been lucky with the accommodation issue as I was offered a flat Near the hospital so my wife was able to come with me. I do not know how it works in the UK as my travel and accommodation were paid for by Jersey Social Services.

As Lou said, you really don’t need travel and accommodation issues when you are facing cancer treatments.

Rob x

• KitKatKitKat Posts: 32 ✭✭

I was being treated at the Royal Marsden in London. We had a two bedroom apartment so partner could stay. We got free hospital accommodation because we lived over 2 hours away. We had to pay for our own train fares .

Hospital is in South Kensington so it was very expensive to eat out every day.

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭

I can imagine @KitKat how expensive it was. It doesn't seem to be cheap to eat out at all these days. We search for coupons etc and voucher codes we could use, otherwise we just couldn't afford it.

xx

• JerseyBobJerseyBob Posts: 35 mod

@KitKat @Sunshinedaff

We were at Addenbrookes in Cambridge for a month and we knew we couldn't eat out every day. Luckily, the flat had a decent kitchen and fridge freezer so we stocked up at the supermarket and ate in most days. We bought a flask and made sandwiches for when we went out so it all worked quite well. I was on radiotherapy with morning sessions and we were out every day. We loved Cambridge and the treatment wasn't too tiring so it was like a holiday.

Rob x

• GlamgranGlamgran Posts: 2
    All cancer patients are entitled to hospital  transport.however it is not made known..only when I said I would not be treated did I get back to rattle around and get it.