Lung cancer

Kenzie123Kenzie123 Posts: 5

Hi, I have recently been diagnosed with lung cancer, tomorrow I will get my results of various scans and biopsy. Just really want to speak to people who have gone through this. I am absolutely terrified of what they will tell me tomorrow.

Comments

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 780 ✭✭✭✭

Hi @Kenzie123

I am so sorry to hear of your recent diagnosis, I completely understand, as will others here, the feelings of terror and fear that accompany a cancer diagnosis, There is really nothing to compare it to, or prepare you for hearing that news, even if you suspect it. The shock of the reality is enormous, and can take a long time to work through. You are not alone in the thoughts and feelings you may have.

The cancer is no longer hidden, that is good because now, you can concentrate on it being got rid of. If you haven't heard already your Dr's and medical team will probably have already figured out the way forward, like a treatment plan. Finding out results of scans etc is always the hardest part, it is the 'unknown' bit that terrifies us.

There are many here who have been diagnosed with Lung cancer, and you may find some similarities in others' stories with your own situation . But whatever the cancer, you will find a lot of understanding here, everyone is very friendly, and we try and support one another.

You are very welcome here, let us know how you get on tomorrow, you may have a ton of questions, or other thoughts to chat over, we are here for you.

I will be thinking of you tomorrow,

I look forward to chatting with you,

Lou x

• Kenzie123Kenzie123 Posts: 5

Thanks for the Lou, the funny thing is, I'm a nurse and have nursed so many people with cancer, and have cared for them and had empathy for them, but to be told its happening to you is undescribable. I can now understand what they were going through mentally. Hopefully I will hear tomorrow whether it has spread or if it is contained in my lung. I have to go for heart scan on Friday, which isn't anything I was told would happen, is this normal?. Thank you for getting back to me, I appreciate it. I can't speak to family or friends about it, just keep it to myself x

• RobertARobertA Posts: 614 ✭✭✭✭

Hi @Kenzie123

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. It is no surprise that you are so concerned about tomorrow - being told you have cancer is always a shock but once you know what you are facing and have a treatment plan in place, it will help you to focus on getting better.

Please let us know how you get on. We are all friends here and will be with you to give you our support and encouragement through your treatment and beyond.

Rob x

Thanks Rob, appreciate it x

• SamSam Posts: 4

Hi Kenzie123

Im so sorry you find yourself with this diagnosis. I can genuinely say I have experienced the same or similar fears after receiving a lung cancer diagnosis in June of last year.

Like you, I have reached out hoping to find others who can share experiences, thoughts, etc. I would be happy to answer any questions you may have about my journey and the many emotions I deal with.

I send you my wishes for the best outcome possible. Please don’t hesitate to contact me anytime.

Sam

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 338 mod

@Kenzie123

Hi Kenzie,

I am so sorry I missed your reply, it was only when I saw @Sam post that it registered.

How have you been getting on?

Have you started treatment already?

When I was having chemo, I had my heart checked too, it is quite normal. They do it, as sometimes chemo can affect the heart, and I think they need to see how its doing before having a load of treatment and then suddenly you react badly.

It must be a lot harder I can imagine being on the receiving end of nursing care when you are the one usually caring for others. Plus you may understand a lot of the procedures, even routine ones, I'm not sure if that is always a good thing or not!

Please come and chat to us, especially if you don't feel able to talk with family or friends. Everyone here really will understand how you feel and what you are going through, you can chat here without feeling like you are going to upset anyone. It is important that you have a place to download stuff. This is one of those places.

I hope to chat with you soon, Take care,

Lou x

Hi, Lou, it's been 3 weeks now since my operation to remove tumour from my lung. I have been lucky they were able to do lobectomy with key hole surgery. But I still have a further area they found when they did pet scan. I think I have to have radiotherapy for that, but will see surgeon again on the 30th for results. I don't know if anyone else has had this operation, but I have a lot of pain, partly controlled by medication, do you know how long this will go on for. I was hoping I would be able to start reducing meds by now. Hope everyone is well and doing OK x

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 780 ✭✭✭✭

Hi @Kenzie123

I don't know anything about your particular operation, but I do know from the ones I have had that the pain took a lot longer than I was told by the surgeon to recover from. Did they give you any indication how long recovery may take? Keep up with the pain meds . Rather than only taking them when you are in pain, get on top of it by maintaining a regular dose. If it is severe perhaps call your dr/nurse and let them know, so it can be checked so you don't pick up an infection or anything.

I do hope the pain settles down soon for you. If you feel like chatting anytime, feel free to do so here.

Thinking of you,

Lou x