Home Cancer Expert Q&A Hub Coping With Treatments & Side Effects

Returning to work

2»

Comments

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Peter

Hi Peter,

I am amazed at all you do, I read your other posts about doing your kitchen floor. That would exhaust me for sure! The cold is frustrating, knocks the stuffing out of you. Not surprised really that you feel so tired and sleep a lot. You say your wife keeps on going, it sounds like you do too! Rest is essential for you though to help your recovery, and to regain your strength.

I do hope you are able to get some rest, and I hope the cold clears off very soon.

Lou x

• PeterPeter Posts: 24

Thank you. Your comments are appreciated. Perhaps it is time I accepted my limitations and rested a bit more. Going to Tenerife in 2 weeks so that should help.

Keep smiling.

Peter

• JR124JR124 Posts: 37 ✭✭

Hi Peter

I keep falling asleep too and cant seem to shake it! My Macmillan nurse tells me the chemo is accumulative and so that why I feel more sleepy now than I did at first! It sounds like you are doing so much who wouldn't be tired!!?

I hope your holiday helps..sunshine always makes me feel better 😊

Take care

June

@Peter

Good morning Peter,

Tenerife will be a wonderful holiday and break for you both.

Warm sunshine and relaxed atmosphere, recharge your batteries ready to start your next project, if there is one!

Have a good day,

Lou x

• RobertARobertA Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Peter

Hi Peter

The Tenerife holiday sounds like just the ticket. Some warm weather, little walks and plenty of relaxation to charge your batteries.

I get pretty tired due to the hormone treatment I am on. Through practice and personal experience, I have found that if I set my tasks into one hour sessions followed by 15 minute breaks, I seem to be able to last better. I also like to nibble something sugary or chocolatey during the breaks which seems to boost my energy levels though that comes with weight consequences!

Rob

Thanks Rob. Like the idea of chocolate, sounds good.

On a side issue connected with chocolate, my GP chastised me because she said it raised your bad cholesterol and mine was 6.7 and she wanted to put me on stations. I asked my oncologist and she said a definite no. So I found natural Plant Sterols which I bought through amazon. My cholesterol then reduced in 2 months to 5.0 - happy days.

Thank you for you thoughts and suggestions.

Peter

Thanks Lou

Looking forward to Tenerife but one session of chemo first. Planning what to do when we get back but only have 6 weeks then are off to Crete for 18 days. Think the garden will take priority as we have about 450 bedding plants on the go. I am also planning to replace all the doors in our bungalow - bit of a challenge but I am determined to do it.

Will let you know how warm Tenerife is when we get back.

Peter

• RobertARobertA Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Peter

Thanks Peter

Your cholesterol results are amazing. I am due to see my doc for an infusion tomorrow and I will ask him about the Plant Sterols as I am currently on statins. He hasn't mentioned cholesterol much since I was diagnosed with cancer. Haha

Rob

Rob

Plant Sterols are entirely natural and no side effects. I know several people who have stopped stations for sterols and are more than happy with the results.

Keep eating chocolate!!

Peter

@Peter @RobertA

Peter, you have unwittingly thrown down a gauntlet, challenge to me 😂.

450 bedding plants and new doors!??, wow, I have been on at my husband to help me sort our front porch and our outer kitchen ( my name for it). I decided these Easter holidays to do the outer kitchen first, but I need his help to de-spider it. I just can’t do that, wimpish I know. Haha,

I think it is fantastic how you are doing so much and still having treatment. Wonderful!

Your wife must be exhausted too no doubt, the holiday is very necessary! 😊.

Thanks for the info re plant sterols, I was on statins pre cancer, but was taken off them as my dr didn’t like my blood results re liver. Cholesterol hasn't been mentioned since. I think I will get some plant sterol as it probably hasn’t gone down!

Haha, Rob! Morning! 😊. I have been known to ‘veg’ out. I can do a good impression of a couch potato 🥔 haha. 😂. But to be honest since cancer I am less slothful, appreciate life, so don’t want to waste it being lazy and unfit. Always room for improvement though 😀.

Have a great day

Lou x

• JR124JR124 Posts: 37 ✭✭

Wow Peter you really are so active as Lou says! Puts us to shame!! 😊 have a great holiday