Radiotherapy

Ht everyone'
Started my radiotherapy in Wednesday 2nd Jan, so had 3 so far had a break with the weekend back again on Monday will be full 5 day's .
Radiotherapy is painless although now noticing a little bit of soreness.
Think the most tiring part us having to go everyday.
Still small price to pay as a prevention to help stop it coming back again.
I was anxious for the first radiotherapy but iI'm ok now.
Wisteria xx

Comments

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @wisteriablue ;

Great to hear it's going ok with you in radiotherapy. With the soreness, just keep being generous with the moisturizer, if it gets worse, speak to the nurses, they can prescribe Fucibet, or Fucidin creams if it looks like becoming infected.
    Yes, the everyday part is tiring, when you factor in travelling to and fro can be at least two hours.
    Lots of rest inbetween.
    Glad the anxiety has settled down.

Lou xx
  • RobertARobertA Posts: 574 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 7
    Good evening @wisteriablue ;

I have not had chemo, but I am  full of admiration for community members who have coped with its awful side effects and have bravely posted about their experiences. 
    I rather think that you will find the radiotherapy to be relatively straightforward after chemo.
    I had five weeks of radiotherapy directed in my pelvic area. I found it to be painless if somewhat disconcerting at first.  I did get tired by the third week and I was pretty happy when it was all over. 
    Like Lou, I am delighted that the anxiety has settled down and I will be pleased if you can find the time to keep us posted about your progress. 

Rob x

• wisteriabluewisteriablue Posts: 18 ✭✭
    Thank you to you both Rob and Lou ,appreciate your comments and support, will keep you updated.
    Wisteria x
  • DianeDiane Posts: 5

Hi iam new on hear iam feeling worried i start 3 weeks of radiotherapy on 25 march at freeman hospital just wandering if anyone else feels same way

@Diane

Hi Diane,

Welcome to the group, lovely to have you with us.

Is radiotherapy the start of your treatment?

Depending on which area is being targeted it really isn’t as scary as you think. Mostly you have to lie very still while the medics line you up in the right position. That can take a while. The radiotherapists will talk you through it in great detail. Going down to the hospital everyday will be tiring, and the treatment will also make you tired. Use plenty of moisturiser on your skin everyday. They will keep a check in your skin reaction to make it doesn’t become infected if it is sore.

There are many here who are also going, or have gone through it. I hope you will find it helpful to chat with others who understand.

Keep in touch, let us know how you get on.

Lou x

Hi Diane hope you are well, I recently went through radiotherapy for 3/weeks and was quite anxious at the beginning, but after the first session found that there was nothing to worry about it doesn't hurt at all only takes about 15mins and part of the time it's being positioned, just as Rob and Lou advised me previously,

I used E45 to moisturise with you only need use it sparingly the hardest and most tiring part is having to go every day,, but small price to pay and it soon passes.

Good luck and don't worry it will be fine nothing to worry.

Wisteria xxx

Hi, finished my treatment, I am now on preventative treatment which is herceptin injections every 3 weeks an d letrozole tablets, the herceptin finishes in July,

It has been a long year but I came through the other side, from chemo surgery and radiotherapy.

And now starting to get back to work for a few hours.

Never give up people and be brave as you will see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Best wishes to you all.

Wisteria xxxx

• jacksprat_x1jacksprat_x1 Posts: 162 ✭✭✭

Hi Wisteria,

I’m so pleased that you are doing so well and have come out of the other side of the surgery, chemo and radiotherapy. Pleased you feel well enough to start return to work. I expect you will ease in gently. It’s so good to hear the good stories! It gives us hope whilst we have our surgery, chemo going on. My friends and family keep telling me how brave and positive I am (well Of course I don’t always feel that way) but I think I have a strong survival instinct and I like my life! So that helps me. My four little grandchildren need Nana! I am looking at the light at the end of the tunnel. Well done to you. Keep in touch to let us know what it’s like on the other side and we need your encouragement! Thank you! I’m recovering from latest chemo last Friday. I’m getting there.

Have a great day.

Lv Jackie x

Hi Jackie, great to hear from you, you definatly have the right attitude, it's a battle and you will win, I took one day at a time, thinking that the next day will be a better than the last and looking forward to the time when I was in the up week after chemo, trust me the time will soon pass and you will csee the light at the end of the tunnel, stay positive stay brave you are marvelous, how many chemo sessions have you to go, I had 8.

See you at the end of the tunnel.

Lve Wisteria xx

Thank for your reply. Yes that’s what I found last time one day at a time and a better week. I have chemo every other week and the second week was better. I’m having it over 6 months. So 13 sessions I guess. I do the same, one day at a time Hoping the next will be better. I’m only one month in on chemo so early days I know. Thanks for your encouragement and I wish you a good life well lived!

Take care

love Jackie x 🙋‍♀️

Hi @wisteriablue

Congratulations!!!👏🏼👏🏼🎉🎉, wonderful news that you have reached the end of treatment. Just in time for the start of Spring, very apt. I hope your recovery from radiotherapy and all the previous treatment goes really well.

Take it easy, enjoy living these new days before you. So very pleased for you.

It is always such good news to hear when others make it through to the end of treatment and can move on.

Be blessed, wishing you well.

Lou x

@wisteriablue @jacksprat_x1

Good afternoon ladies,

You are both doing so well and I am fascinated by your stories. You are both marvellous and I am so pleased that you have come so far Wisteria. You next Jackie.😀 Onwards and upwards.

My treatments are pretty tame compared to what you are going through, but people do tell me how brave I am. Ha, I am not so sure because I did not choose cancer and most of my friends and family have no idea of the inner struggles I sometimes feel.

Well, I’m off for a practice on my piano, very therapeutic. I am working on ‘Love of my Life’ by Freddie Mercury. It sounds great on the piano, or it will when I stop playing bum notes. 🎹

Rob x

@RobertA

I think because you look so well people don’t realise what is going on internally and within your headspace Rob. I do sympathise with you about the fatigue.

You have a good practice! I’m going to listen to that song now to keep you company! I had hoped I would be singing tonight at Folk Club my friends were going to try to take me but noooo!!! I feel sleepy and sickly today. Never mind there will be other days! The weather is awful here so staying in the warm.

My dear Son James who writes and performs, wrote me a song at the weekend! O my did it make my eyes leak! One of the lines were “ you know you are so much more than a Mother to me” Enjoy your music Rob! 🎹🎼🎧🎤

Lv Jackie xx

😊

Hi Rob, thank you for your good wishes, I'm so pleased for you that you have your music to help you.

I think that anyone who has dealt with some kind if cancer are all brave and courageous. Even though we don't know it or feel it. Because we just get in with it

The fear of the C word is terrifying to everyone who haven't.

And like you say the things that you can't see, are just as hard and can't be seen.

Wishing you well always and have fun enjoy your music.

Lve Wisteria x

• KotsKots Posts: 2

Hi Diane, I had 4 weeks if radiotherapy at the freeman in jan/Feb this year. I found the staff were lovely and explained everything all the way through. I was apprehensive before I started but found that the radiotherapy was much easier than chemo! Will be thinking of you on Monday, hopefully you'll feel better after the first one is out of the way. x

• PeterPeter Posts: 21

Hi. I have been on chemotherapy in 3 separate sessions since August, 2017 for bowel cancer. 8 fortnightly cycles at first, then 4 cycles in spring 2018, followed by 6 cycles in November, 2018 immediately followed by a further 6 cycles and I a just finishing no. 3 of the last 6 cycles. The support from the Oncology tea at the Rosemere Centre at the Royal Preston Hospital has been nothing short of brilliant.

There is nothing to fear from chemotherapy and I have to lucky that any side effects have been few. A few mouth ulcers and mild peripheral neuropathy and feeling a bit sluggish for a few days. Latterly, however, have been a bit more tired as the cumulative effects begin to kick in. A short rest helps significantly. Other than that I just get on with life and have just finished lay a new kitchen floor - took a bit longer to do than I hoped but, so what.

To anybody starting chemotherapy, don't be afraid, just embrace it and carry on with your life as best that you can. I am off to Tenerife in 4 weeks to mark the end of the course current course of chemotherapy, and then I off for 18 nights in Stalis in Crete as I hope to be o a summer break from chemotherapy. Will see happens af that.

Good luck everybody - you only get once chance at this, so be positive and upbeat about it.

Peter

Hi Peter. My goodness you have had quite a few havn't you, and you sound in great form well done.

I agree radio therapy is OK, I found that going everyday was the most tiring thing.

Can't moan though as very necessary

And like you say the nurses and doctors and everyone from the ground up in Southend hospital are fantastic in every way I can't fault them or the NHS for my treatment chemo surgery radio therapy and now prevention with herceptin injections and tablets

Enjoy holiday and have a great well deserved break.

Kind regards

Wisteria x

• pampam Posts: 2

Just finished chemotherapy and radiotherapy. As I had a lot of surgery my skin was pretty sore. The radiologist asked the GP to prescribe Flamigel. I believe it is new but it certainly helped a lot.

@pam

Hi Pam,

Fantastic news that you have made it through chemo and radiotherapy, that is so good. I hope you are making a good recovery. Glad to hear you have been given some cream to help with the soreness, and thanks for the info about it, that may be really helpful for others here still going through treatment.

Lovely to have you here, please keep in touch, let us know how you are getting on.

Lou x

@Peter

Hi Peter,

Wow, you have been though so many treatments, I love that you have managed to maintain your positive outlook throughout it all. And as for laying a new kitchen floor!! Well just amazing!

I hope you have a fantastic holiday, a wonderful break, very much deserved.

I love your post, it is so encouraging, I am sure it will encourage others too.

Take care,

Lou x

@Peter

Hi Peter

What a great positive story. Enjoy your holidays and come back refreshed.

I daren’t let Mary see your post. After reading it, she will want a new floor too and no excuses.

By the way, great to hear from a fellow male. I was beginnig to think I was the only one left🕺

@pam

Lovely to hear from you. You have been through just about everything and it would be lovely to hear that it has all been worthwhile for you.

Rob

@Peter

Good morning Peter, It is so good to hear your positive comments about your chemo treatments. You certainly have have undergone a lot of treatment. Well done for Sharing it good to hear as a fairly new member of the community. My surgery was mid December and I was terrified of the thought of chemo treatment and having had third round, every other week for 26 weeks of Oxiaplatin and modified Folfox to protect my kidneys I haven’t found it to so bad as I feared! I was really pleased to found out that I shouldn’t loose my hair on this particular regime but that it could thin a little. Still that is a minor concern as long as the treatment works on stage 3 Sigmoid Colon Cancer. I see that this may just be the beginning of treatments, going from your post.

I had my 3rd delayed treatment this Friday, had water infection two weeks ago and had to wait til neutrophils recovered and fortunately just recovered enough to get going again.

Yesterday was such a beautiful day in Suffolk that I spent the whole day slowly potting up spring plants front and back garden. Surpassed my expectations all done and I am so pleased I slept like a log! Steroids! My husband kept saying pace yourself! I do things when I feel like it! I take it day by day as I know that cumulatively it can get very tiring. I have to say so far to anyone just about to start that there is nothing to fear about the treatment and my 3rd was better than the first 2 sessions. I am having electric shock sensations in hands and fingers and found that running them under a warm tap or plunging into a bowl of hot water will relieve them, particularly when wearing thin gloves and rubber gloves to garden. Found my gloves got damp under the rubber ones through sweating! Soon sorted though. Wore a thin scarf around the neck to prevent tingly throat and previously breathing issue. You learn little strategies, also plenty of cups of warm tea if you start to feel the throat, mouth tingles in the cool wind. My chemo nurses have been so helpful and supportive. Hope you have a really good day and let us know how your holidays go. I can’t wait to start planning one whenever that might be.

Take care Peter.

Lv Jackie x

Hi Jackie

Well done yourself, keep up the good work. I bought 10 bags of potting compost and 4 bags of top soil yesterday. Have got 460 plug plants to pot up, 6 tubs of potatoes. 2 tubs of carrots and 2 tubs of peas. We are going to be busy!

Seeing my Consultant in the morning for 6 weekly check (have a Nurse led appointment every 3 weeks in between as well ) and think I will be sent for a CT scan before be scoot off to Tenerife.

I suffer a bit with my hands and feet as well but try to keep them warm - easier said than done sometimes. Also get pins in needles in my nose and ears, a bit weird at times.

Nice day here in Lancashire today so must cut the grass before it gets too long. Sea Bass, Hassleback potatoes and a nice crispy salad for tea with profiteroles for afters - yummy.

Have a good day and all look af yourselves. Take care and keep taking t tablets.

Peter

@Peter

Hi Peter,

my goodness you are going to be busy! I had to give up our allotment this year. My brother and I did it between us but he has had heart issues so it got too much we had bumper crops of beetroot, courgettes, pumpkins, peas, onions, broccoli last year. Lost the sweet corn to mountjack deer unfortunately, the fencing wasn’t strong enough! Still we had a good 2 years!

I am having introvenus twice weekly and after 4 hours I’m sent home with a pump for 46 hours then have it taken off in hospital. It’s going well. Hope you keep well. Lv J xx

@jacksprat_x1 @Peter

You two make me feel exhausted just reading your posts. You are both inspirational and your advice and positive outlooks are uplifting and encouraging for anyone who reads them.

Rob

Robert

Thanks for that, it is appreciated. I just take the view that I have little choice so I just get on with it. Thinking about replacing the doors in my house next but got a bit of a shock when I saw the cost.

Having a disturbed night at present so just sat here with a brew and my little cat (best mate).

Best wishes

Peter

Hello everyone. Sorry I have been out of touch with you all for a while, but have been getting on with my life (and cancer which is bit of a bu....). Had a good holiday in Tenerife in early May, in fact enjoyed it so much, we went to Crete for 18 days at the end of June and we are going back again at the end of September for a fortnight. In the meantime, I am still on chemo but my brew has been changed to Irinotecan, bit different to oxalyplat in and it trying its best to remove my hair - I refuse to let it win.

Planning jobs for the autumn and winter now. Bought 11 new oak doors and went looking for handles, etc., yesterday and ended up buying a new car. Rebuilding our kitchen, new worktops, oven, hob and sink. New garden fence, flags for the path at the side all intermixed with chemo.

Just been for chemo today (3 of 6) and home with my pump. About to have a nice, lightly chilled lager as my treat for today. Must go now as my cat wants my chair!

Look after yourselves everyone - love you all and please keep positive. Don't let it get you down.

Peter

@Peter

Morning Peter,

So lovely to hear from you.

I am so glad your holidays away have been so brilliant for you, it is always good to have something to look forward to as well.

I don't know how you do all that! Huge projects! Although I have been a little like that lately too!

Since May I have decorated our 'outer kitchen', was just a dumping ground really, partly organised the garage, still ongoing.. haha, decorated front porch, jet washed front and back patios and pathways, and sorted the garden which is always an ongoing job. Big jobs for me, but worth doing.

No where as huge as your undertakings and I am not on chemo!

I hope the chemo treatment continues to be effective, it is great you are remaining positive and strong.

Chat again soon,

Lou x

Hi

Nice to hear from you again. Forgot to say that I am now on chemo 27 in total. Getting a bit fed up with it but, if it doing what is intended, it's a small price to pay. Also, I have got 8 rolls of wallpaper for our breakfast area and the kitchen plus, God forbid, paper for the ceiling. Does chemo actually make you crazy, stupid or just more determined. All 3 in my case I suspect.

Collect my new car on Monday - something else I look forward to.

Look after yourself and will be in touch again very soon.

Peter

(PS. It took 7 weeks to complete my new kitchen floor, so it is anybody's guess how l all this is going to take)