Holidays

Hi everyone. I'm new to this group but struggling to find help and information regarding holidays post chemo. Your experience would be welcome.

My husband has had surgery for pancreatic cancer and just finished a course of chemo. We are not young...mid 70s so are going right to the top of our holiday list. We've booked Queen Mary to New York and Amtrac East to West across the US...I feel it's a huge risk but we want to enjoy life as much as we can with the time we have. My concern is travelling with medication. Insulin and all the injection bits and pieces and Creon, large amounts. Are their any rules anyone is aware of?

thank you

Comments

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 16

@SueP

Hi Sue,

A very warm welcome to you.

Wow! That sounds like a wonderful trip to look forward to, how long are you going for? Very exciting! I love America, as much as I love France!

I am pretty sure there are lots of things to consider especially going to the USA.

There is some information here on the LBW site. I will put the link below, and then you can click on it, it may be very useful for you.

When I travelled to the USA after my treatment, the most important thing for us was having comprehensive travel insurance. For that trip I was able to get travel insurance with More Than, but the following year I was excluded so went with Staysure.

Shop around and you must declare all medical conditions, not just the cancer ones.

I ensured all my medication was in its original packaging, I think some people have had letters from Dr's confirming the prescription. I think it depends on the nature of meds required etc.

I think also that once you have been able to secure travel insurance, they may also be able to advise you what is necessary.

I do hope your husband is making a good recovery from all the treatment, having something to look forward to will help, I hope, to bring him back up to strength. When I was diagnosed we had already booked and paid for a holiday, there was no way we were cancelling the trip. It was still a good thing for me to look forward to at the end of treatment.

Lou x

https://livebetterwith.com/blog/guides/the-live-better-with-guide-to-holidays-and-travel-with-cancer/

• SuePSueP Posts: 6

Thank you Lou, that's good sound advice. Our insurance which is with our bank has covered us for everything except return of the cancer. That is it's covered us for the ensuing diabetes. I'm not sure we could expect better than that.

l'll look into it further. It's good to hear that you weren't put off travelling extensively, I have to admit to being stressed about it. My husband however, and he's the one that matters is really looking forward to it!

thank you so much

sue

• RobertARobertA Posts: 574 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 16

Hi @SueP

My bank stopped insuring me after I reached 70 and I had to find a new company. The following year I was diagnosed with cancer and the new company then refused me cover.

I was told about Insurancewith which was founded by Fiona Macrae who was herself diagnosed with breast cancer in 2005. She had difficulty getting insurance and so she formed her own company. They did not exclude my cancer from the policy though I had to pay a small premium for that.

In addition to her usual sound advice @Sunshinedaff Lou is so right. it is important to have something to look forward to after a cancer ordeal and you have a fabulous holiday to look forward to. I am sure you will be fine. Enjoy.

Rob x

Thank you so much Rob. I can see I shall be busy on Monday!

Thank you Lou and Rob.

we now have fully comprehensive insurance for my husband for our forth coming trip to the U.S. There was of course an extra premium to pay but nothing like the ones we'd been quoted previously. I shall now also enjoy the holiday we both need after 12 months of hospital care.

I'm so pleased I found this group.

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 319 mod

@SueP

Hi Sue,

That is marvellous news, another thing sorted. Take a copy with you, so you have it to hand in case of emergency.

It will be a wonderful time for you both, to recoup and a time of refreshing and healing for you both.

Time to look forward, enjoying better days.

I'm so glad you are finding the community helpful and supportive, it's great to have you here too!

Lou x

• RobertARobertA Posts: 574 ✭✭✭✭

@SueP

Hi Sue

Yes, it is great news.

Have a wonderful time. If you have a minute, do send us a note and tell us how you are getting on.

Lovely to have you in the group.

Rob x

• 4Gretton4Gretton Posts: 29 ✭✭

I had big problems with getting insurance when I wanted to go to Canada for my sons wedding. Most wouldn’t insure me. Those that would were quoting thousands of pounds. My daughters journalist friend got on the case and found insurewith. The woman that founded the company had had the same problem getting travel insurance, so set this company up. I ended up with Daily Mail coming to take photos and doing an article on the subject!

Be prepared to spend a long time on the phone when you apply. There are A LOT of questions to be answered. Have all your medical details to hand...dates etc. All companies tend to be rigorous in questioning. The difference with this company though is that you’re more likely to get a good outcome

Good luck

• SwallowSwallow Posts: 1

Hi Sue

You said "we now have fully comprehensive insurance for my husband for our forth coming trip to the U.S."

Who has insured you, please?

we chose insurancewith.com

hope that helps.

sue

• hessomhessom Posts: 112 Community Admin

Hi Swallow, I know this is a little late! But I wanted to share a couple links you might find helpful. We've actually got our own holiday guide which you can find below, and we work with International Travel and Healthcare Ltd. who offer comprehensive and personalised travel insurance (links below)

Hope this helps!