Sleep, exercise and fatigue - it’s complicated!

hessomhessom Posts: 113 Community Admin
edited March 14 in Living Better With Cancer

A little bit of gentle exercise is often recommended by doctors to combat fatigue and help achieve a good night's sleep, but how do you manage to fit it in when you’re already tired? How do you get that ‘good tired’ feeling and make sure you don’t overdo it? What exercise have you tried to help you feel healthy?

Tagged:

Comments

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 875 ✭✭✭✭✭

Before cancer the only exercise I did was gardening, and walking round school at work.

After my treatment finished I decided to start swimming which I have fallen in love with! I just love being in the water, and this from someone who was scared of water all their life !

I do love the feeling after having been in the garden , mostly pottering, light weeding, , sweeping etc. I know it is doing me good, although my bones do suffer, and then I have to rest.

Swimming and water based exercises like aqua classes are great for me, low impact, non-weight bearing. My motto is to keep moving, or be a Dory, just keep swimming!

I'm still learning to not overdo it, not very good at that yet!

Does it help me sleep better? Mmm, I’m not sure, the jury’s still out on that one! If I keep up-to-date with my pain medication, then it might. All the components are there...activity, exercise, good for my mental health=tiredness.

Lou x

• RobertARobertA Posts: 727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 17

I am on androgen deprivation therapy (ADT) which causes extreme tiredness and even though I sleep pretty well, I still wake up in the morning feeling anything but fresh. 

I make myself get up at 7.30am every morning and get on with the day. I find that going for a long walk freshens me up and makes me feel energised. I try to walk at least 3 miles every day and my wife and I are members of a walking group which goes out whatever the weather looking for landmarks and interesting vegetation. Keeps me alert at least for a while.

We are lucky because we have great walks in our little island.

Rob

• RobertARobertA Posts: 727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 17

Clean air and great views

Oh no. Look what I’ve done. Well, its lateand I’m a bit tired. 🙊

Rob