Tell us about your sleep routine

hessomhessom Community AdminPosts: 112 Community Admin

Sleep is an ever important aspect of our health, and a healthy sleep routine is often only complicated by cancer, how many hours of sleep do you get a night? Or maybe you’re sleeping more in the day? How have things changed since your diagnosis and treatment? Tell us all about your sleep routine!

Tagged:

Comments

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff ✭✭✭✭ Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭

I have to admit I am terrible at establishing a good sleep routine!

I tend to find that I end up falling asleep or dozing off whilst watching TV or relaxing! My family are always telling me, Mum you’re falling asleep! No I’m not is my reply, or I am listening, with my eyes closed! 😂 Terrible!

Yet, when I go to bed, I find it really hard to settle, my brain suddenly comes awake, and I’m thinking of all sorts of things, but I am aware I am physically tired.

I have tried lovely warm baths with lavender bubbles etc, the danger there is I actually have dozed off in the past! Plus I’m then far too warm.

I know switching off technology, screen time, TVs, phones etc before bedtime is meant to help, I do like to read in bed, generally start to nod off which you’d think is a good start, but it doesn’t last! Haha. Not sure how I am still standing! Haha

I would love to hear what others do, especially if it works!

Lou x

• FloG88FloG88 Posts: 13

I have a good sleep routine, I’m in bed by 10 most nights and my alarm is set for 6 during the week (though I have children that wake anywhere from 5 onwards) however I’m always awake in the night, I’m pretty sure it’s the steroids the doctor has given me!

I wake up hot and sweaty, wide awake and my mind starts wandering no matter how tired I feel and I can’t switch off.

I do have a journal that I’ve started writing in, that has definitely helped clear my head not just at night but in the day too, I literally write EVERYTHING down, all my worries, concerns and all the good things too! I also like to have a pamper before bed a few nights a week, hot bath and face masks, just a little bit of self love and me time 💕

Hi @FloG88 ,

I love your idea of keeping a journal. That is really useful to do, getting the thoughts out of your head onto paper is very effective.

Yes, I expect it is the steroids disturbing your nights too . Have you tried using a cooling pad in your pillow case to help keep you cool? I found them to be amazing for me.

Welcome to the group , it’s great you found us, everyone here is very friendly and supportive. I’m sure you will get to know us soon!😀.

Chat again soon,

Lou x

@Sunshinedaff it has been so helpful writing everything down definitely!

Oooh no no I haven’t thought I of a oiling pad, that’s a really good idea! I’ll have to look in to one, are there any you’d recommend?

Thank you! I’m hoping to get lots of help and support and be a be able to help and support others too :)

@FloG88

Hi, I hope you have had a good day.

Sorry for the late reply, I started to write earlier but got called away.

I found mine here actually, before the forum was started I saw an ad in FB and thought I'd give it a go. From the first time I used it, I noticed a huge difference, now it goes everywhere with me! ( Some of my exploits pre-cooling pad you can read in the Hot Flushes thread! Hahaha 😂.

That is so great you are thinking of others whilst going through this yourself. I am sure you will be a great encouragement to others. I hope you will find here support and help for yourself. Always happy to chat anytime, we may have been diagnosed with different cancers but many of the side effects and impact on our lives are very similar.

I hope you get a better night's sleep, these warm days and evenings, although lovely do make night-time tricky.

Chat soon,

Lou 🤗😀

@Sunshinedaff ah that’s ok, thank you for taking the time to reply :)

oh fab! I’ll have have a look in the shop! I haven’t had much chance to chance to look on the site much yet. Do you use anything else to help with sleeplessness?

Oooh ill check out the other app! haha

Thank you, I really appreciate that :)

@FloG88

Hi, I hope you have had some improvement in the last couple of days.

Sometimes sleep is really not happening for me, for whatever reason, because of temperature changes, or my mind is doing cartwheels over everything, you know...life, the universe etc...those 2/3 am moments we all love so much!!! 😭

At these times I do try and cool myself down first, but then I end up being wide awake! I get up and go to the lounge, as I don't want to wake my husband up. The downside of that is I wake the cats up...not good!! 😂.

Reading is good as my eyes will get heavy and I will want to sleep. I have resorted to TV, even though it's not a great thing to do, sometimes it actually works and Iwill sleep. The main thing for me is switching my mind off, if that doesn't happen, I may aswell stay up!!

Doesn't help that I am a light sleeper, and an early riser! Haha 😂..

Hope you have a good day.

Lou xx

• RobertARobertA ✭✭✭✭ Posts: 601 ✭✭✭✭

@FloG88 @Sunshine15

Good evening ladies,

I used to be a night owl, but since I have been on hormone therapy I tire much more easily and I usually now go to bed at 10.30pm. Unfortunately, that does not translate into sleep as my mind will not switch off. I am also on steroids Flo so I can only assume that the hormone treatments tire me and the steroids wake me up again. 🤣Do the steroids make you hungry? I just can’t stop eating, especially sweets and I sometimes buy a packet of liquorice allsorts and eat them all at once. Don’t tell Mary🤫 Lou.

Haha. The temperature changes🤒. My fingers and toes get a weird tingling shortly before I have a hot flush. When I tell people I am about to have one, they just laugh thinking I am joking - until they see it happen. Whoever heard of a man having a hit flush?

Chat soon

Rob xx

@sunshinedaff

its been on and off the last last couple days, we’ve actually been away visiting family and I ended up with a fan right next to the bed which helped with the hot flushes and sweating, not so much the sleeping though!

Yep I get that, some nights I sleep fine, others it just doesn’t have append and my mind starts to wander, not even necessarily to anything productive either. That’s usually when I write stuff down, hoping it gets it out of my head and I might catch catch a few more zzzz’s.

My kids are early risers, any time from 5am so if I’m awake like now I wonder if it’s a worth trying to get any more sleep 😂

Hope you’re having a good week.

Leah x

@RobertA

Hi Rob 👋🏼

Yeah im the same, I am usually in bed by then because I’m tired tired but not necessarily going to get much sleep sleep!

Oh yes that’s will be the steroids!! And yes they do, make me hungry. I actually noticed a couple weeks back that I do not get “full” so I can eat a meal, pudding and a snack and be raiding the the cupboard for something 20 minutes later!! LIckily I noticed that his and I now keep better control but for a while I couldn’t work out what was going on 😂

oh really?! That’s interesting to know about your fingers and toes, is it like pins and needles?!

I bet it’s strange for people to get their their head around a man having a hot flush! I hope its not too inconvenient for you though getting getting hot flushes?!

Hope youre well otherwise and having a good wee know :)

Leah x

• LouiseJLouiseJ mod Posts: 330 mod

@FloG88

Morning Leah!😊

I noticed you were up so very early this morning! Hours already! Mind you I was awake at 4am too but tried to stay in bed, I probably should have got up as I kept clock watching! I hope you can get some catch up rest during the day. Are your children at school? I am always the first one up in our house now. If I see it is light outside, I usually just get up.

Chat to you later,

Lou x😊

@RobertA

Hi Rob,

Definitely the steroids affect your appetite, and your body temperature too, so maybe not only the hormone meds contributing to the hot flushes. I hadn't connected the tingling of fingers and toes with hot flushes. Sometimes the lines get blurred especially when there is already pain in bones and joints etc. It all sort of merges into one big blob! Liquorice Allsorts, must confess isn't that how you are meant to eat them..hahaha, it's what we do too!! You are not the only one!😂

Chat to you later,

Lou xx

@FloG88 @LouiseJ

Hi Leah and Lou

What a relief that I can blame the steroids. I have been putting weight on too☹️ so I have switched the Liquorice Allsorts for an apple, but I am missing them already.

No, its not really pins and needles. I can't really explain it. Its kind of unpleasant though not painful. Mary and I visited friends in Yorkshire last summer. They were really excited because the weather was hot 🥵 and they organised a barbecue. I hadn’t told them about my condition so it served me right when I had a really bad flush. I tried to ride it out but my shirt was soaked and my hair was dripping. Imagine a heatwave in Wensleydale. I always tell people about it now, but as I said no one believes me until it happens.

Rob xx

@RobertA @LouiseJ

Hi guys!

Yes the other night was a bad night, that tends to be when I try and catch up with everything, last night was much better! Funny how it differs from one night to the next!

My children are at school, it’s half term this week so I’m finding it quite tiring having to having them home all the time and keeping them entertained but I wouldn’t change change for the world!

Rob, yes I’ve put a lot of weight on too since being on the steroids, it’s so hard trying to keep to a healthy diet when you’re always hungry!

I bet it’s a so hard to get their head around! I’ve not had many major hot flushes yet, I just constantly feel hot all time! It hasn’t go come and go to the point of flushes....yet!

i hope you’re both keeping well and having good weeks :)

leah

@FloG88

Hi Leah

Pleased you had a better night last night. Ha ha, having the children at home is probably the best way of tiring you out.

Yes, it is hard to stick to a healthy diet at the moment. I find it worst in the evening when I am chilling in front of the TV.

I’m fairly lucky with my flushes. They rarely last more than 10 minutes but they do crop up at the most inconvenient times. I do hope you don’t get them.

My wife Mary says it will be a sunny weekend. She is planning lots of walking to help me get my weight down. Luckily, I do enjoy a nice long walk.

Enjoy the rest of the week with your children.

Rob x

@RobertA

yes they are a proper handful! Always on the go and with being away at the weekend too it’s been a tiring week!

Yes that’s my bad time too, it’s so easy to just get lost in telly and snack on anything isn’t it?!

Fingers crossed for lovely weather this weekend and lots of walks! We’re off strawberry picking - healthy, followed by a cream tea 😬 not so healthy! Haha

😃 x

@FloG88

Hi Leah,

Hope you are having a lovely time with your family this half term week.

Strawberry picking already! Wow! Reminds me of Darling Buds of May! Haha! I haven't been fruit or veg picking for years. As a child we always used to go, frequently. I grow my own strawberries and now blackcurrants, but I must see if I can get my two to come out with me one day to pick your own. They'd do the cream tea happily enough though!! Hahaha 😂.( Wouldn't we all! )

My week, also half term , but exams for us, so revision, it's stressful! More exams Mon/Tues.

Did you get a chance to check out the cool pads yet?

Been a bit naughty today, bought a bar of the new DarkMilk.. yum, I did share a few squares, but not many!! Hahaha 🐷😋

Enjoy the rest of your day

Lou xx

@FloG88 @Sunshinedaff

Good evening Leah and Lou

Strawberry picking! 🍓🍓 How lovely. I used to eat half of the ones I picked. Don’t think the farmer was too impressed. Good job you are not next door Lou because I like blackcurrants too. Hm Cream tea. You’ve given me an idea for tomorrow there😀 Leah.

Mary and I have been really naughty this evening. A lovely espedata and chips at our local Portuguese, followed by carrot cake with ice cream. A shared bottle of wine followed by a couple of drinks in the pub together with a packet of salted nuts each. And we are still sober - relatively 🤣.

Hey Lou. I haven’t heard about this DarkMilk. Must find out🍫🍫

Ha ha, this has got to stop. Sorry about the exams Lou. None for me. One bonus of being old.

Have a lovely weekend both.

Rob xx

PS. If I sound a bit tipsy. I am 😉🤣

@RobertA

Haha “if I sound tipsy i am” I hope you had a good time!

strawberry picking was lovely! I always let the children try one or two, you’ve got I know they taste good!

did you have a cream tea? Ours was lovely!

I hope you are having a lovely weekend

@Sunshinedaff

ive just ordered a cooling pad actually, was waiting for payday so I will let you know how it goes! I’ve really struggled the last few nights as it’s been so warm, had to have the fan directly on so im hoping this pad helps!

i hope you’re having a lovely weekend :)

@FloG88

Hi Leah, Oooh glad you ordered one! I hope it works for you. Yes, last night was particularly hot wasn't it. I slept out of the bed all night!

I just messaged you on the other chat 😄.

Lou xx