Home Cancer Expert Q&A Hub Cancer Coffee Break

One week in, how’s it been so far?

LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 861 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good afternoon everyone,

Wherever you are I hope you are having a peaceful Sunday.

Well first week of the New Year over, how are you doing?

I do hope that if you have hospital appointments etc scheduled they are still able to go ahead as planned, especially in the UK where the NHS is struggling with staff shortage due to staff isolating.

It has been eventful in our house! Unfortunately I have had something , not covid according to the test result. However I do have many of the symptoms and am still unwell. If this is just a cold, it is vicious. Writing this in bed where I have spent much of the last week or so.

Does anyone have anything on this week? Any plans, news to share?

It would be lovely to hear from anyone who’d like to chat.

Hope you are staying safe from covid,

Chat soon,

Lou xx

Comments

• JerseyBobJerseyBob Posts: 160 ✭✭✭

@LouiseJ

Oh Lou

I am sorry to hear that you are still so unwell. 🤗🤗 Not a great start to 2022 but hopefully there is plenty of time for things to improve.

Would you believe that Mary and I have both tested positive for COVID. I was due to meet a friend for lunch on Friday and as I had a slight sore throat I decided to do a lateral flow test beforehand. Having tested positive I then had a PCR test which confirmed it. The next day, Mary also tested positive and we are both now isolating. We both have symptoms of heavy colds. Unpleasant but not scary and in the circumstances we are grateful that we have had our three jabs. We are also fortunate that we have wonderful neighbours who have rallied round to do our grocery shopping. The curious thing is that we haven’t been anywhere around people and we just can’t figure out how we picked the virus up.

Dear Lou. Please get better soon 🙏. In addition, Mary and I wish for you, Mark and the girls, a really happy,successful, and healthy 2022

I also wish the very best for all of our friends on LBW, especially those who are facing difficult cancer treatments or emotional issues. Let’s all stick together and continue to be here for each other throughout the New Year and beyond.

Rob xx

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Rob, Mary,

It's strange how you could have picked it up isn't it, especially as you haven't been anywhere. I am so glad your neighbours are rallying round to help you, very good, and great you are living in a friendly community.

I can only think I got this from Will or Hannah who are the only two to have been out mixing with others. I haven't been anywhere.

I thought I was improving so on Monday spent all day dismantling Christmas and decorations. I was exhausted by the end of the day, but then on Tuesday and Wednesday I was unable to do anything! Clearly too much too soon!

It is very frosty and cold here today, although the sun is shining brightly which is lovely to see.

Sending love to you both, and a speedy recovery with no serious symptoms.

Lou xx

@Sunshinedaff

Hi Lou

We are sorry to hear that you are still struggling with your mystery illness. It sounds rather worse than the symptoms we are having from COVID. I had hoped to be clear today but my Lateral Flow Test was still showing positive this morning. At least we are allowed out for up to two hours for exercise as long as we keep away from people and don’t enter any buildings or use public transport.

We took the car down to our favourite St Brelades Bay yesterday. Bright, but cold and no one in sight so we enjoyed a safe and bracing stroll along the beach.

I wonder if there is a little more optimism around COVID now. Having experienced it, I don’t feel as concerned as I had been before and it seems to be becoming less of a threat. It is three years since we have been to Spain and I can’t wait to try out my Spanish, though most of the Españoles speak English whenever they see me coming. I expect that you are beginning to think about a trip to France. Perhaps we can all start to dream😃.

chat soon

Rob xxx

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 861 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Rob, lovely to hear from you.

So glad to hear you both got out for a drive, it’s a beautiful sunny day here, although very frosty still.

It is really good to hear neither of you have suffered from nasty symptoms of covid.

I am still not well and now Mark has it. Tesco’s arrived today and the driver said his whole family had this over Xmas. It was funny he asked have you got ‘the cough’ , hahaha, lol, can’t stop it. It is constant! This afternoon I have my head in a bowl of steaming vicks to try and clear my head.

Do you think you will get to Spain this year? That would be lovely for you both. We are not expecting to go to France this year, maybe next year if things settle down.

Hope you are having a great afternoon ,

Chat soon,

Love Lou 💕💕 xx

@LouiseJ

Oh Lou, it sounds as if you and Mark have really been through the mill. I do hope that you are feeling better now and that your tooth has been sorted out too.

My lateral flow test came out negative today which is really good news. Unfortunately, Mary is still positive but at least she feels OK.

In truth, I don’t believe we will get to Spain this year. We are also looking for things to settle down a bit more before we take the risk of going abroad. We are hoping to go to England in the Summer though as we haven’t seen our families for ages. That will be really special.

Chat soon

Rob 💕💕💕