Home Cancer Expert Q&A Hub Diagnosis & Appointments

Time line for the chemo doctor.

linda123157linda123157 Posts: 1

I had stage 3 cervical cancer in 2014. Had surgery to remove everything. 6 sessions of chemo and 6 weeks of radiation. In 2019 the surgeon released me saying I was cancer free. But my chemo doctor is still seeing me every 4 to 6 months. I feel it should be at least once a year. My blood work and scans have always come back great. I just want to know if the 4 to 6 months is too much or should it be every year by now.

Comments

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

@linda123157

Hi Linda,

A very warm welcome to you, good news to hear you are cancer free after your diagnosis and treatments. I hope you are recovering well, I know it takes time and life takes a different turn. Adjusting to life after cancer isn't easy.

I don't know what the standard is for this, or where you are. I am in the UK, I finished treatment in 2016, and until 2018 had 3 month check-ups with the surgeon and oncologist, then 6 months, I am now on yearly check ups. I had breast cancer, perhaps it is different with cervical cancer? I found it quite reassuring to have regular check-ups as I was able to mention anything that concerned me without having to go through the GP first. What do your dr's say about these regular check-ups?

Lou

• RobertARobertA Posts: 1,174 mod

@linda123157

Lovely to hear from you. It sounds as if you have been through an awful lot and how great to hear that you are now cancer free.

I have a different cancer of course, and I have checks and blood tests at least once every three months and sometimes more frequently. I am inclined to agree with Lou as I find it reassuring to know that I am being monitored and have the opportunity to chat to the medics about any concerns I may have. I do get fed up with the hospital visits and doctors, but such is life after cancer.

I am delighted you have found this Community. We may have different cancers, but we love to chat and to support and encourage each other.

Rob x