Home Cancer Forum Living Better With Cancer

I just want to know how much worse the therapy will get ?

Tyler1Tyler1 Posts: 2

I was diagnosed January 8th and am aware of the treatment I have been offered. I go for my second bout of chemo on February 21st. I simply want to know how much worse it gets is all

Comments

• DaisyrnorDaisyrnor Posts: 1

What meds are they giving you?

• RobertARobertA Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tyler1

Hi Tyler

I am sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed with cancer. I have not experienced chemotherapy, but a number of our members have.

You are very welcome in our friendly community and I look forward to chatting in future.

Rob

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tyler1

Hi Tyler,

I am so sorry to hear of your diagnosis. It sounds as if you are having a tough time with your first round of chemo? There are many types of chemo, which vary in side-effects and frequency. There are some similarities between them, but also some differences.

I had chemotherapy as part of my treatment for breast cancer. If you want to chat about anything, don't hesitate to get in touch. The impact of cancer is huge on you and your family, everyone here understands about that and you will find a lot of support here.

Hope to chat to you soon,

Lou

• Af21Af21 Posts: 7

Every round of chemo I have had has been tough, but I always bounce back ! You will too . Can chat anytime x

• 4Gretton4Gretton Posts: 38 ✭✭✭

@Tyler1

I don’t know what chemo you’re on, but hang in there. I had infusion at hospital and then sent home with 10days tablets, 4 days off and then back to hospital to start all over again. The important thing I learned from it was to keep talking to your oncologist and nurses on the unit to let them know how you’re coping with it all. Doses can be altered and length of course too. I ended up with one dose less as my peripheral neuropathy was getting really bad. They reviewed my situation and when I turned up for last session they sent me home. That was a very happy day I can tell you! I had a rota of friends and family that took me in for each infusion which seemed to lighten the load. It probably seems like a long haul at the moment, but you will get through it. Keep coming back on to this site and talking to us all. We all “get it”

(I was on Capecitabine and oxalyplatin for stage 4 bowel cancer)

Good luck with it all

• JulieM86JulieM86 Posts: 9

Hi Tyler,

I had my second bout of chemo on 20th Feb and this time I knew what I was facing ... I kept a daily journal through my first chemo session so that I could spot trends.

I took my anti sickness drugs as soon as I left the hospital on Thursday. I went straight home and ate as much food as I could get down me and went straight to bed.

I was not sick this time (the first chemo was horrendous). I feel fatigued, yes but the headache is just about staying away and the nausea too.

I was also advised by a client of mine who is an oncologist, to eat a really high carb meal the night before chemo so that it absorbs it better the next day... a hearty mash potato or big pasta dish! I am sure this helped me this time around.

I hope you’re ok and have support around you. I wish you all the best in your recovery

Julie x