Home Cancer Expert Q&A Hub Diagnosis & Appointments

Proton Therapy

CarjanCarjan Posts: 1

I have just been diagnosed with stage 1 breast cancer. My doctor, surgeon and I are trying to come up with the treatment that I am going to have. Has anyone used proton therapy and if so with what results.

Comments

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Carjan

Hello,

Welcome to the community, I am glad you have found us here. I am sorry about your diagnosis, I can understand how shocking this must be for you and your family. It sounds as though the cancer has been found in the early stages which I hope is a positive thing, meaning it will be treatable. It is nonetheless a horrendous thing to be told, and I can understand if you find yourself in complete turmoil.

I am a breast cancer survivor, I am very glad I can say that. Cancer has ravaged my family, not just because of my own diagnosis, but also that of my blood family. So if there is anything I can do to help support you going though the days/months ahead I will be glad to. I haven't heard of proton therapy, perhaps someone else hear will have some wisdom and insight for you.

If you would like to chat at any time, please do so, you can start a new discussion or join in with any other going on. Everyone here is very welcoming and friendly, we all support one another.

I hope to chat with you soon,

Lou

• PianoPiano Posts: 1

I asked the doctor in the breast cancer centre about proton beam therapy and she had not heard of it.

• VoiceeVoicee Posts: 4

Hi

I has 41 courses of Proton Beam Therapy in 2017.

I suffer from a rare bone cancer (skull based) called chordoma and chemotherapy wouldn’t have been effective on me so the NHS had to send me to America for 3 months to get my treatment done as there was no proton centre in the U.K. at that time. I did meet a lot of people with various other types of cancer whilst there such as breast, testicular, bowel etc etc etc.

There is now a centre in Wales and also in Manchester and one under construction in London.

I am happy to answer any questions you may have.