Home Cancer Expert Q&A Hub Coping With Treatments & Side Effects

Hi. My name is Marjorie

I have got breast cancer.

ive had lumpectomy and nodes removed twice.

ive tried to manage all of the problem, however struggling a lot.

Have tried to return to a new job 6 months in. But struggling a lot with a lot of pain.

go to pain clinic next week for injection into spine and really worried.

I don’t want to cause a fuss but can’t stop getting upset.

Comments

• BondgirlBondgirl Posts: 2

I also don’t know much about the internet or Facebook or Twitter or anything to be honest.

which is why I have only read stuff up till now.

How do I keep positive when everyone around me is so upset.

i was extremely close to my parents mum died on my 50th then dad died 2years ago two weeks later I was diagnosed with breast cancer I miss them so much, I feel it would be better if I was with them instead of here.

i have such emotions that I know that would not be good to speak with anyone in the family, how I really feel.

i really am struggling so maybe this is silly to put it in writing

• jacksprat_x1jacksprat_x1 Posts: 306 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Well done for reaching out. You will find lots of love and support here. It’s just the place to say what you need to say that you can’t say to those close to you at the moment. We have all been there at some time or other.

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your Mum on your 50th birthday. There is never a good time to loose a loved one but particularly sad on your special birthday. Then the loss of your Dad too 2 years later then your diagnosis. Sometimes you must think you couldn’t make it up but unfortunately this is what life throws at us and it’s not fair. You must feel bereft and I think I understand how you feel, but life is very precious and I hope that you can find the strength to carry on. However, you must let people know how you feel. You need the love and support of those around you. Others here have I know found MacMillan to have been a great support to them during dark times and I would encourage you to visit them if you are able or contact them and start the ball rolling. Please keep in touch here too. There are so many kind people here to help you.

Are you able to share what cancer you have? Mine was bowel tumour in Dec 2018. I had an emergency operation then six months of chemo snd I am waiting for results of a recent scan. I try to live each day as it comes and have enjoyed many days living by that principle. I try not to think too far ahead.

I hope that you can find some help to get you through the tough times and if you need us we are here for you.

Take care.

Lv Jackie 🙋‍♀️😘

• jacksprat_x1jacksprat_x1 Posts: 306 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Marjorie,

I must apologise, I just saw your previous message when you told us what cancer you have. I am so sorry that you have been in such pain. It is good that they are taking steps to try and alleviate this with your injection into your spine. You must be worried and I hope this is successful. Do you have anyone going with you? Well done for continuing to work through this. Let us know how it goes.

love Jackie x

• RobertARobertA Posts: 1,177 mod

@Bondgirl @jacksprat_x1

Hi Marjorie and thank you for writing, I am so pleased that you decided to get in touch. Jackie is right, you will find lots of love and support here and you could also contact MacMillan Cancer Support if there is one in your area. They did an awful lot to help and support me through my diagnosis and treatments. The medical people are fantastic in what they do, but I think that sometimes they are so busy with the medical side of things, that they can overlook our human emotional needs.  I also found it difficult to talk with family about how I really felt and that is when this community came into my life and helped me to get back on track. There are so many caring and loving people, a number of whom have become friends. You can say whatever you want and know you will be listened to, supported and not judged. Please keep in touch. You are not alone.

Rob x

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bondgirl

Hi Marjorie,

I read you post and my heart breaks for you at what you have been through in this short time.

The pain and heartbreak you yourself are going through as well as dealing with cancer is too much for anyone to go through without support. I agree with everything Rob and Jackie have said about finding some support outside of your family. I just want to encourage you, life is precious and worth living, I am hoping your lovely parents would have said the same thing. Don't give up on life. It is great you found the courage to reach out here to us and share your story. Don't worry about not being 'tech savvy', you found us. You are so not alone Marjorie, we are here for you too, please at anytime you can send a message or post a chat. Also here we have Karin Seiger @KarinSieger , she is a qualified cancer counsellor who has also been through breast cancer, as have I. You can contact her directly via here, and she has various pod casts and helpful insight that may help you.

You will find so much understanding here Marjorie, sometimes it is indeed much easier to share with others outside of your family. You are safe in knowing you will not upset us, and you can say what is on your mind without worrying.

Please keep in touch, come and chat anytime,

🤗

Lou xx