Homeβ€Ί Cancer Expert Q&A Hubβ€Ί Cancer Coffee Break

The Live Better With Creative Club - share your art, poem, etc here!

Blanka_CBlanka_C Posts: 347 Community Admin
edited May 14 in Cancer Coffee Break

Hello beautiful people,

I was wondering if we've got any creative souls around here? 😍 Let's get a mega-thread of Arts & Crafts going!

Poems, paintings, music, origami, etc...anything goes.❀️

I'll start. Here's a bag I've designed a couple of weeks ago for a friend of mine who was going through tough times (I do illustrations & graphic design when I'm not in the office😁).

Can't wait to see yours! x

Blanka

Β«134567

Comments

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Blanka_C

Hi Blanka,

Brilliant idea, I love it!

I love arts and crafts, music, photography, all of that sort of stuff!As well as the baking and cooking! I am always having so many different things on the go at the same time, which can be a bit frustrating for me haha! I need to work on finishing one thing before starting another. 😁

I have some cross-stitch on the go that I started in 2017, it gets picked up off and on. I remember one item I began when my youngest was 5 yrs old it was a princess castle to hang in her room, well I finally finished it in time for her 16th birthday! hahaha. She still loved it, and hung it on her wall! So funny. πŸ˜‚I did lots of other ones in-between, and other things too.

I have some art I want to start. Now don't laugh 😁, but it is some painting by numbers which I found. They are not the usual type I have seen before, but very detailed and true to life art. Eg Copies of artist's work or wildlife pictures. I just haven't had a chance to start one yet. I am not brilliant at producing art out of my own head, I can copy what I see! Haha.😁

I have had some spectacular fails too though. I love knitting, and one year my husband said he would love an aran type cardigan. Now I have knitted lots of these in years gone by, but he wanted a modern design , etc. So I set about finding one to do. It was all going well, then I was diagnosed with cancer, and it wasn't yet finished. Well it became the family joke, when is Ma going to finish Dad's jumper.πŸ˜‚Fast forward many months, still in treatment, been trying to knit, the day arrives when I have knitted the last stitch. And the sewing together begins. Now if you have ever seen The Good Life and the episode where Tom and Barbara take up knitting, you will picture it. This cardigan I had spent soooo long making, was an absolute shocking, hilarious disaster!!! I blame it on chemo brain, and the cognitive impairment I was suffering from. It didn't fit, or hang well, felt horrid. Lol! I promised to unpick it all and do another one. Where is it now I hear you ask? Shoved in a cupboard waiting for that day!! I haven't knitted since. πŸ˜‚

Finding the time to do activities is so hard, I also play the flute and guitar but it is a long time since I have played either. Now my daughter has finished her last flute exam I can take my flute back and carry on practicing a piece I first began learning a long time ago.

Anyway, I will post some of my successes very soon.😁

Lou x

• MaggsyMaggsy Posts: 2 ✭

I like to doodle, make jewellery a bit of cross stitch but very rarely have the time to do any with work n family xx

• Sezzy66Sezzy66 Posts: 4 ✭

Just finished a key ring!!

small and double sided but didn’t take long, have 4 more left to do!! πŸ˜ƒ

• NanaBubblesNanaBubbles Posts: 113 ✭✭✭

Hi everybody,

What a great idea this is and what a talented lot of people! It is so lovely to see what people have been doing and the beautiful things produced. I like knitting and embroidery and also painting in various media. This is an acrylic painting completed recently:

And this next one a watercolour:

I have just started trying out water soluble oils but am learning by my mistakes! It takes me ages to complete a painting as I run out of energy but it always improves my mood. A friend and I did set up a village art group with a local artist as our tutor but when I started immunotherapy I had to let it go as I did not have the energy! It is the social side that I miss most - not sitting in a draughty village hall!!

I do hope that folk will continue to share their achievements AND their disasters - I have so many of those!!

All the best

Michele

@NanaBubbles

Hi Michelle

I love your artwork, they are beautiful. You are very talented!

😊

Lou x

@Sunshinedaff

Hi Lou

Thank you! I did not start painting until about 8 years ago and have nearly given up several times completely despairing that I would ever produce anything worthwhile but I love colour and playing with paint is good fun and a sitting down activity too.

Love your cross stitch pieces, both are really beautiful. You should definitely have a go with your paint by numbers pieces and look forward to seeing them in the future. There is also nothing wrong with using a tracing of a complicated/too-hard-to-draw printed picture to paint which can make the whole thing much easier - if it’s good enough for the old masters ......

I do believe that using the creative side which most of us have tucked away somewhere is such a positive thing to do and would encourage everybody to have a go at whatever they are drawn too. However, when you have a busy life with children/job/illness to contend with it is hard to find the time and energy but I also believe that it is important to do something for yourself.

I also have some colouring books and coloured pencils which are great for learning which colours go with what and are good for low energy days. Non-messy and easy to start-stop.

Michele x

• jacksprat_x1jacksprat_x1 Posts: 306 ✭✭✭✭

@ NannaBubbles,

Hi,

Just wanted to say how I have enjoyed looking at your artwork. I particularly love the coastal one with the lovely old vessel on it’s side. Beautiful.

Very talented lady. It’s so nice to see.

Take care.

Lv Jackie 😘 xx

• jacksprat_x1jacksprat_x1 Posts: 306 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

What a talented bunch you all are on here.

Art is so good for the soul. Thank you for showing your lovely cross stitch, paintings, drawings and jewellery and keyrings on here. It is so nice to be thinking of other things and makes us all closer!

Have a lovely Sunday everyone.

Lv Jackie πŸ™‹‍♀️Xx

@Maggsy

Hi Margaret,

I ;love your drawings too, the little mouse one would be great converted to a cross-stitch pattern they look more than just doodles to me! 😊

Lou x

@NanaBubbles

Hi Michele,

I agree, I love doing creative things, whichever part of the brain it relates to definitely got an overload, haha, left out the science and maths skills though, haha. (Mind you I really like science now I am older, just wish I had been any good at it when I was younger! My youngest daughter makes up for that now though, astronaut in the making haha! She is awesome at those.)

In my garage, which I have talked about before on another chat, I have boxes of paper, canvas, paints etc. along with all my other hobby stuff. Perhaps I should become a little more determined in doing some each day, you are right, time just gets away from us when we are so busy with day to day living. 😊

I will certainly show you the painting by numbers! Yes I have several colouring books and a variety of pencils too, they are actually in the house, not the garage hahaha😁

Hope you have a great day,

Lou xx

@Sunshinedaff

Hi Lou

Go for it! I find that if I have my hobby stuff accessible, in sight and easy to grab, I am more likely to sketch or knit. If I have tidied it all away, it is more effort to get things out again and it never happens! That is not to say that I leave everything all over the place which would drive me bonkers! I have now come off Facebook and Instagram and deleted some games which were on my Ipad which I decided were wasting a lot of my time.

With you on the science subjects, I was hopeless! Our 13 year old granddaughter brings her homework to ours sometimes and I have no clue whatsoever!

I am knitting a little jacket for our 4 month old grandson at the moment. It is a knit from the top down pattern and just about to divide the yolk into sleeves, fronts and back - if it is any good when finished I will be amazed!

Best wishes

Michele x

@NanaBubbles

Hi Michele,

Hahaha!! How right you are re the Ipad!!πŸ˜‚ Haha, yes, that is a great idea, I need to leave that thing alone, there is a word game that I love, but it is such a time waster! Lol.

I am definitely going to do that!!

I will let you know how I do!!😁

Lou xx

• MaggsyMaggsy Posts: 2 ✭

Hi Lou, thank you, I sometimes do the odd drawing for my son, most of what I draw is copied from cards or pictures, trying my hand at a different style of jewellery making, haven't quite got to grips with it yet, I'll post pics if they turn out alright x Margaret

@Maggsy

Your work is beautiful and I love your jewellery. Good luck with the new style and will look forward,to seeing more pix from you.

Michele x

Good evening friends,

Well today I decided to to take a couple of hours this afternoon and I started on my painting!

Caught up with a couple of Vera's while doing it, listening to the pouring rain outside. It was very relaxing, even better, my daughter said she would get hers out as well maybe ( that is amazing progress!)

Here is a pic of progress so far...yes 3+ hours! It is going to be a copy of Van Gogh's Sunflowers, my favourite artist.

Thanks Michele (@NanaBubbles )for giving me a nudge earlier today! 😊

Lou xx

This is the piece of music I started working on just before I was diagnosed with breast cancer.

I really love it.

Had to put it to one side for a long time as I was unable to play my flute while recovering.

I got it out recently to have another go. I'm still not very good at it, need to practice my speed and build up some stamina again! One day!

Lou xx

• BrightstarBrightstar Posts: 259 ✭✭✭

@Sunshinedaff

Hi Lou

Love that music piece. I am impressed you can even attempt to play that.

I have no musical talent whatsoever. The triangle was a challenge for me! 🀣

I did want piano lessens when I was younger, but my parents wanted me to concentrate on tap and ballet. I got a silver and bronze medals for those. I used to go round retirement homes and local halls and events performing with the dance club. I will try and dig out a picture of me in my tutu!

Julie x

@Brightstar

Morning Julie,

Hahaha, that made me laugh!

I was useless at anything sporty or 'exercisey', just appalling! Haha. I remember I would do anything to avoid sport at school. Always picked last for teams, even in playtime πŸ˜‚. So humiliating!😁

I remember refusing to take part in high jump practice or the 'horse' thing. I would just run up and stop and run round, hahaha. When it was time to take 'O' levels I chose Dance CSE as it meant I got out of P.E. But I hated that as well, was useless! πŸ˜‚

It would be great to see pics of you!

I have always been musical, I would try all sorts of instruments. The one I didn't take to was the violin though! I would love to get a piano again, my parents got me one (I say me, six kids) when I was little, we had it for years. But I wasn't able to get lessons! lol! I learned the guitar from age 7, classical, then learned folk guitar from 10. The flute I had a go at school but again my parents couldn't afford to get me an instrument or pay for lessons. So when I was in my 20's a colleague was selling her flute, I bought it, and taught myself for years then later got a tutor.

Phoebe has a saxophone too, so I have yet to have a go on that, but intend to!

We are all different aren't we, different talents and gifts. It's great!

Chat later,

Lou xx

@Sunshinedaff

Hi Lou. I will definitely try and find that photo of me in my tu tu, once I feel right. I think I was about 8 on it.

My mum used to get all my costumes hand made for me, and my costumes were greatly envied by the other girls. Sadly only got the one photo left. My brother got most of the photos when mum died, and god knows where they went after he died. My niece said she never saw the album. Heartbreaking, as photo's are so precious. πŸ’•πŸ’•

One of my friends teaches guitar. It's got me thinking that maybe I should get her to give me some lessons. I can just see me strumming away singing folk songs. She sings in a folk band as well.

I love all the old folklaw style music. I loved it when I lived in Cornwall, and you would find a real oldie worldie pub, where everyone would just start singing traditional cornish songs. Happy days!

I must download that music those cornish fishermen released. I have only just thought of it!

I remember having a recorder at school, but never got past the first line of 3 blind mice! πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ Hated it!

I too hated sports at school, but I was quite good at the long jump. I could throw myself quite far, considering I was quite small, it was quite a feat!

Hated the fact that you all had to shower together afterwards though. 😑 and hated the navy blue baggy nickers we all wore as well! 😱

I was brilliant at climbing trees as well, but I don't suppose that counts! πŸ˜‚ I was a real tomboy and most of my friends were boys.

Have a lovely day. It looks quite nice out there today.

Love Julie ❀️ 😘

@Brightstar

Hi Julie,

Hahaha, don't remind me about school showers!!! hahaha, oh weren't they grim. The P.E teacher prowling around to make sure you had one too! So horrible!πŸ˜‚

Ours big blue knickers too, hideous.πŸ˜‚

The things we have had to endure, haha!

I can't see you being a tomboy! No, really I can't! You seem far too lady-like and serene for that 😊

Lou x

@Sunshinedaff

An uncle of mine met me many years ago. He could not believe that I was that boyish girl who climbed trees, and always wore trousers. I also used to have really short cropped hair. No Mandy or Bunty comics for me, always Beano, Dandy and Whizzer & Chips. I'm sure I modelled myself on Dennis The Menace! πŸ˜‚ Gosh I really am showing my age now! πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚

Not sure how I became what I am today! I only wear dresses and I suppose everything about me is very feminine. I never go casual for anything! In fact I don't own a single casual item of clothing.

Perhaps falling madly in love with David Cassidy did it! Right up to his death, I still had a thing about him, despite him becoming a lonely, shadow of himself figure. It literally broke my heart to see what he became! Alcoholism is such a dreadful disease and his father had been an alcoholic as well.

Why is it that sex icon's end up ruining their lives?Elvis was another example of having everything, but in his case turning to medication. So very very sad.

It has made me feel very nostalgic writing this. Going to put some David Cassidy music on now, and pretend I am that young, carefree teenager again! 😊

Hugs and kisses Julie

• Stefanija_64Stefanija_64 Posts: 4 ✭

Just joined. Loving the coffee break thing. Previous to my cancer diagnosis 2 years ago for head and neck cancer. Surgery and radiotherapy and complications have really set me backI was a very active crafter. Sewing. Crochet. Knitting. Card making. Wood burning. Patchwork. Any thing. My recovery is a long one in fact anything. The last month started feel better so hopefully will be able to slowly start doing bits again. It will be nice to maybe chat with like minded people and share projects.

• RobertARobertA Posts: 1,176 mod

@Blanka_C @Sunshinedaff @Sezzy66 @Karenwag123 @Maggsy @Sezzy66 @jacksprat_x1 @NanaBubbles @Brightstar @Stefanija_64

Good afternoon everyone.

Well, what a talented bunch you all are, I am really amazed by the quality of the work everyone has posted. I was a good footballer and cricketer at school but as my Dad said 'That won't help your career.' He was right of course, but I didn't find out until it was too late.

Although I did not get married until I was 55, I never got much beyond beans on toast in cooking terms. When Mary broke her leg, I was suddenly expected to become a Masterchef and failed spectacularly, much to the joy of our local Pizza Hut and MacDonalds. I remember looking up how to bake a potato online - it was quite handy because it started with a photo of a potato which I found particularly helpful. At one point, it suggested I cover the potato in oil, saying any oil will do except engine oil. 🀣 Haha I just got to grips with that when Mary asked for dauphinoise the next day.

@Stefanija_64 . It must have been really tough having been unable to enjoy your crafting and it is lovely to hear that you are ready to start doing things again. I think that having lovely things to do and share is really therapeutic.

Hi Julie. If you were good at tap and ballet, you must be naturally musical and I think it is a good idea to go for guitar lessons. I use Chordify.net who have a clever system which is good fun as you learn to play along with the original song. David Cassidy? Oh dear, oh dear. Still, I had better tell you before Lou does, that I was a Nolan Sisters fan. I once saw them live and I rushed the stage. Bernie took my hand before I was dragged away and ejected.

Hi Lou. Don't know how you find time to watch Vera with the cakes, music and now the painting. I can't even paint the house. πŸ˜‚

Rob x

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Hahaha, I can't help but laugh Rob! I can just picture you rushing the stage to grab a Nolan!πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Bless you thrown in at the deep end with a jacket spud, oh dear. Did Mary get Dauphinois the next day?? Or maybe not!πŸ˜‚

Dinner cooking as I type this, easy one tonight, nothing fancy. Poured myself a lovely glass of Merlot.

Julie, Woody used to be my fave! I altered my school uniform to attach tartan to my shirts, painted my shoes, and knitted a Woody jumper! I got laughed at a lot, but I didn't care, lived in my own world anyway. Lol🀣

When the Jackie music cd's came out a few years ago, I bought them all, love playing them, I lived in a world of music and radio when I was younger.

@Stefanija_64 , so glad you found us, a very warm welcome to you. I hope as you get stronger you will soon be back to doing the arts and crafts and other things you enjoy so much.

Have a good evening everyone,

Lou xx

@RobertA

HI Rob. My parents got to meet The Nolans a few times. My uncle was a compere at one of the clubs in Blackpool and used to get free tickets for my parents. He was really good friends with the Nolans parents as well.

I used to have a Nolan LP with all their signatures on it. I know it had a lot of songs from Olivier Twist on it. I remember I used to love listening to Oom Pah Pah. I think that's what it was called!

I'm in the mood for dancing, is still a corny but favourite of mine. It used to get played at practically every party I went to when I was young. It always make me smile, a real feel good song!

Bernie was my favourite and I was so shocked and upset when she died. I watch Loose Woman on TV, because I really like Colleen. She is very funny and has my type of humour. I like her ex husband even more! πŸ˜‚ I have a bit of a thing for Shane Richie! I only used to watch EastEnders because he was in it. His autobiography is very funny and entertaining. He is such a cheeky chappie which I absolutely love about him. Think I had better go and have a cold shower now! πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚

Love Julie x

@RobertA

Forgot to say Rob, your cooking isn't as bad as one of my friends dad. His wife had to go away and he was left to fend for himself. He decided to open a tin of spaghetti and poured it in the deep fat fryer!😱 πŸ˜‚ I kid you not! Made hell of a mess! His family never let him forget it. I should imagine the fat spluttered everywhere!

Julie x

@Sunshinedaff @Brightstar @Stefanija_64 @RobertA

First off, thank you all for making me smile! I had to go to Triage on Tuesday with a high temperature and really horrible pains in my back and right shoulder. After a million tubes of blood taken and a chest X-ray they found I have pneumonia but I was allowed home once the pain had been calmed. So your stories are brilliant!

Lou, I am so pleased that you have started your Sunflowers! Well done you! Looks like you are making a great job of it too.

Julie, my parents lived in Cornwall (near Falmouth) and I too love the old Cornish songs. I think I have a tape cassette (yes really, we have got some left!) of a fishermen’s choir so must dig it out and have a listen - haven’t got enough puff to join in just now though!!

Robert, your exploits in the kitchen sound similar to my poor husband who had only ever cooked a salad prior to having to look after me! He does nearly all the cooking now which does feel a bit weird to me, having always done it!

Stefanija, when I started my various crafting projects again I quickly realised that little and often was the way forward. I started a lovely Aran cardigan which I could not finish because of the weight of it so my lovely friend finished it for me. Soon after that we were presented with a new grandaughter so baby clothes were much easier and smaller so I managed those! In early painting days, I often bit of more than I could chew so started off with birthday cards and a sketch book wit water soluble pencils. Whatever you do when you start again, Don’t demand too much of yourself, have fun and enjoy!

Michele x