Home Cancer Forum Living Better With Cancer

New to the forums

NicJPNicJP Posts: 3

Hi, I was diagnosed with breast cancer in December and have had a lumpectomy and the the removal of a set of lymph nodes, I’m due a second op to remove my remaining nodes next week. Then likely 3 Chemo sessions and hormone repression drugs. I’m looking for general advice and support on coping with side effects of surgery and Chemo. I’m pretty scared and have a 5 year old daughter. I’m lucky that I have a wonderfully supportive partner, friends and workplace but I still feel weirdly alone in all this, needing advice from people that have been through it. Clinical advice is understandably very general. Anything to arm me for what’s coming gratefully received x

Comments

• RobertARobertA Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NicJP

Hi Nic

I am so sorry to hear of your cancer diagnosis. I am not able to help as far as advice goes, but I am sure that other members who can, will get in touch with you shortly.

I am not surprised that you are scared and I understand the feeling of being alone even though you have so much support from your partner and friends.

A cancer diagnosis is not the same as any other type of illness. It is a massive emotional challenge and after being diagnosed, I personally felt that I needed to talk with people who understood the emotional whirlwind I was experiencing and who would not judge me. I have found that in our lovely Community and have made good friends too. I am so pleased that you have found us because you can say whatever you want and you will receive support and understanding without being judged.

I do hope that you will keep in touch and let us know how you get on next week.

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NicJP

Hi

Welcome to the community, it is lovely to 'meet' you. I am really sorry to hear about your diagnosis, I can understand how scared you must be feeling with it all, especially with having a young daughter to care for too.

As Rob has said, it is an extremely emotional time when diagnosed, such a huge shock to the system and your life being turned upside down in an instant. I can imagine the whirlwind you have found yourself in since, with attending all kinds of appointments etc, it is not unusual to find just getting through that is enough and processing it all in your mind and emotions what has happened may come later.

I hope your operation this week goes well. I was diagnosed with breast cancer too, but I had a mastectomy rather than a lumpectomy. My lymph nodes were removed at the same time. My surgery happened after I had undergone six rounds of chemotherapy, then after surgery I had radiotherapy.

Do you know yet what chemo you will be having? There are many different types of chemotherapy drugs used, it depends on the specific type of cancer as to the cocktail you will be given. Although of course having chemo can cause various side-effects, you may not experience all of them. I don't want overload you with loads of information that may not be particularly helpful if it doesn't apply to you.

It is great you have lots of support, and I hope you will find it here also. Everyone here is very friendly, and even if someone has a different cancer diagnosis, you will find a lot of understanding about the impact cancer has on your life. You can talk about anything here, freely without worrying about upsetting anyone.

Let me know how your operation goes, and I look forward to chatting with you soon,

Lou x

• NicJPNicJP Posts: 3

@RobertA And @Sunshinedaff, Thank you for your kind responses. I think it really will be a great help to be able to chat and share things on here with others that have been through, or are going through, similar experiences. I’m looking forward to getting the next op out of the way and having my treatment type and schedule finally confirmed. As for Chemo type I don’t know, but told regularity will likely be once every 3 weeks. One of my biggest concerns is that it’ll floor me completely and I’ll be “absent” as a mum, partner, friend and employee for over 3 months! My partner is an amazing man and wonderful dad to our little one but I do worry he won’t ask for support when he needs it. I’d like to suggest he joins a forum for support too. I’ll keep you all posted. Thank you xx

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NicJP

I just wanted to say I love your profile picture! So cute! Made me smile.😊

As for chemo, yes often it is in a three week cycle, I was on FEC-T, had six rounds every three weeks. They will go into great detail with you when you get to that stage. Everyone's reaction to chemo can vary, and can also vary from cycle to cycle. Some people on here have said they have been able to keep working and have managed really well through their treatment. It is something you will have to gauge as you go through it. The nurses are brilliant, and will help you with any side-effects etc, make sure you tell them of any. The anti-sickness meds are really effective too, I wasn't sick once! I tell that to everyone! We can chat nearer the time more about this when you are about to start etc.

I think it is a great idea for your partner to join a forum too, there are so many others here who are supporting loved through cancer, it is incredibly tough for them also. No doubt he will be trying to be as strong as possible and help you, but sometimes that can be so hard. You all will need good support to help you through this. It can be as anonymous as he likes too!

Once you have the plan sorted it is the waiting to start that is hard, so many unknowns still to get through. You will find that when you have begun chemo, the weeks will come around quite quickly, even living day to day, you will look back and see how far you have come.

I hope you have a peaceful evening,

Chat soon,

Lou x