Home Cancer Forum What's On Your Mind Today?

Emergency call out

fairycakes54fairycakes54 Posts: 1

Hi everyone

My daughter is 34 years old and was diagnosed with cancer last December. She has extremely bad pain in her back and hips. She has to use a zimmer frame to get about indoors and a wheelchair outside. She has had a number of falls at home while trying to get to the bathroom and bedroom. Also my daughter is totally blind after losing her sight to cancer when she was 3 years old.

She does have a partner who has been there fortunately when she has fallen. My question is are there any services available that she can contact like an emergency care call if she falls and is alone in the house. Something where she has an emergency fob to wear around her neck that is connected to a call centre or something similar?

Answers

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 593 mod

@fairycakes54

Hello,

I am so sorry to hear about your daughter and the difficulties she is experiencing, it must be a very worrying time for you. I am sure there are services available that you are describing. I know elderly who are living alone can have alarms which they can wear, or a button to push that alerts someone who can send help.

Is your daughter living in the UK?

My first suggestion would be to speak with the oncologist and her medical care providers, as they may have contacts that can help. Also, contact Macmillan Cancer Support, they too may be able to access these types of services on your daughter's behalf. There are private companies that provide this type of care coverage, but there will be a fee. I do not know if there are any 'free' services that do this.

You don't say if the pain is caused by the falls, or if it is the cancer. Either way I would encourage her to seek medical advice and hopefully some pain relief can be provided at the very least.

I do hope you are able to sort something out, please keep in touch with how your daughter is doing, and of course, if you would like to chat at any time, you are most welcome to do so here. We are here for you too. Supporting and watching a loved one go through cancer is extremely difficult and heartbreaking, but you tend to try and hold it all together, to be strong and supportive, but be falling apart on the inside. There are many others here also supporting their loved ones through cancer, and you will be among people who really understand and care.

I hope to chat with you soon,

Take care,

Lou x

• RobertARobertA Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fairycakes54

Hi

I am so sorry to hear about your daughter and her difficulties. It must be very tough for all of you.

I don't think there is much I can add to Lou's suggestions other than to agree that MacMillan Cancer Support is a good place to start.

I would like to add my own welcome to the group. We like to chat and support one another in any way we can and I hope that you will keep in touch.

Rob x