Home Cancer Expert Q&A Hub Coping With Treatments & Side Effects

Living with breast cancer

Alison1Alison1 Posts: 6

Hello ,my names Alison,I was diagnosed with breast cancer in March 2019 ,iv had 12 lots of chemotherapy and a operation one week ago ,also due to have radiotherapy in a couple of weeks,I came across this site a few days ago and after reading through some of your brave stories have to say what caring genuine people you all are ,and reading through them has really helped me in what I’m sure yu all will understand can be difficult times ,look forward to hearing from you xx

Comments

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 679 mod

@Alison1

Hi Alison,

I am so glad you found us! It is lovely to meet you.

You have definitely come to the right place, our community is full of lovely caring people, all of whom understand what it is like living and dealing with cancer, for themselves or a loved one.

I was also diagnosed with breast cancer in 2015, I had chemotherapy, a mastectomy and radiotherapy as my treatment, and I am pleased to say it worked, and I am here to tell the tale! 😄 I do have a few battle scars etc and 'stuff' as a consequence, but I don't have cancer! 😄

You have had a tough year with all that chemo, wow. I know it is early days, how are you feeling post-op? You are starting radiotherapy in a couple of weeks too, that is quick, after your surgery just now.

You will find support, encouragement, friendship and fun (we like to laugh a lot too, mostly at ourselves!), here for each other on the good days, the bad days and even the ugly days. Please don't hesitate to join in with any chat or start your own.

If you have any questions or anything, just ask, there are many others here who have gone through very similar things or still going through it all.

I look forward to chatting with you soon,

Lou x

• Alison1Alison1 Posts: 6

Hello Lou,very nice to meet you and thank you so much for getting bk to me ,yes I am ok post op ,very sore and finding drain uncomfortable as it’s been in a week tomorrow and I think there taking out tomorrow and I think the radiotherapy starts in about 3 weeks ,I have to verify this all with consultant on Tuesday as I’m to find out whether I have to have a second operation on that day ,yes I had a tough time with all that chemotherapy,and noticed while having chemotherapy and speaking to other patients that I was having a lot more than them but was assured by oncologist that it depends on the type of cancer and grade of cancer that I had to have that amount ,I have been or trying to be as positive as possible and have always been a people person anyway il say bye for know and hope to speak again very soon .alison x

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 679 mod

@Alison1

Good morning Alison,

Yes , the drain is uncomfortable, hopefully it will be removed tomorrow if the fluid has reduced sufficiently.

It can take a little while to heal, if you are struggling with moving your arm etc, even if doing the post-op exercises, mention it, as a physio appointment may be necessary. After the chemo, you will still have a low immunity, your body is having to work extra hard to recover itself and fight off any potential infections etc. I hope the pain eases up soon, I know it can feel awful. My sister also had her op a week ago, think her drains may be removed today also.

Any cancer treatment is tailored specifically to your diagnosis, even if someone had the same as you, some things may be different.

It is great you are remaining as positive as possible, it does make a difference I believe. My oncologists informed me they see a big difference in outcomes between patients who have a positive attitude and those that don't, which I was surprised they had made that observation.

I hope you have a good day today,

Chat soon,

Lou x

• RobertARobertA Posts: 1,176 mod

@Alison1

Hi Alison

Welcome to our community, I am so pleased you have found us.

I think that a cancer diagnosis is not the same as that of any other type of illness. It is a life altering event and is good to be around people who understand that.

This is a lovely community full of brave and caring people. We can laugh and cry together and give each other support and a listening ear when it is needed. It is a special part of my life now and I hope you will find that too.

Rob x

• Alison1Alison1 Posts: 6

Hello rob ,lovely to hear from you ,yes I agree very life changing but I’m so glad I found this site as I think people that are going or have been through it can understand and connect,you all sound so very nice caring people and I much appreciate being in contact with you all thank you ,Alison x