Home Cancer Expert Q&A Hub Managing Day-to-day Life with Cancer

Which benefits?

MayoMadMayoMad Posts: 3

Hi all,

I'm new here. I was diagnosed with breast cancer (stage 3 Invasive Ductal Carcinoma) in June. I've since had three operations, currently having Chemo and will have a full Mastectomy afterwards. I was working full time but, due to cancer treatment, I was asked to sign a settlement agreement, therefore I am now not working. Is there a benefit that I can claim to help me? I live with my partner, but he's having to pay for absolutely everything at the moment. I'm not sure if there is anything out there to help me. Many thanks.

Comments

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 678 mod

@MayoMad

Hi, a very warm welcome to you, I am so glad you have found us here.

I am really sorry to hear of your diagnosis, and you have already been through a lot it seems with three operations done. I hope you are managing to get through the chemo treatment without too many unpleasant side-effects.

I believe you may be able to apply for PIP (Personal Independence Payment), this replaced the DLA, (Disability Living Allowance). There are detailed forms to complete, and whilst you are in the middle of treatment, these may be a little daunting when your brain and mind are concentrating on just getting through the day! I would definitely suggest you contact the Macmillan Cancer Support Group, who can support you, I know of friends who were helped in this way by them. They can help you complete the forms and get them submitted. Don't be put off by all the questions you have to answer, someone doing it with you would be useful.

I am not sure whether you should have been made to sign an agreement like that by your employers, unless this is something you wanted to do. The Citizens Advice Bureau are also a good place to find help.

I hope you manage to sort something out very soon, the last thing you need is to worry about money etc whilst dealing with cancer, unfortunately it is often one of the main things we worry about.

Please let me know how you get on with it, and also how you do with your treatment.

The community is full of members all very friendly and supportive, I hope you find it a source of help and encouragement.

Chat to you soon,

Lou x

• MayoMadMayoMad Posts: 3

Hi Louise,

Thanks for your message and help. I applied for PIP but was turned down. I think it was because I am managing to care for myself okay. Finances are a worry at the moment. I did agree to sign the Settlement Agreement because of the way I had been treated since my diagnosis. I didnt want to go back, but ill have to find a new job as soon as I'm well enough.

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 678 mod

@MayoMad

Oh no, really! I am sorry to hear that, on both counts. How horrible for you. It may be worth checking with Macmillan or the CAB anyway, perhaps there is something else you can apply for?

• MayoMadMayoMad Posts: 3

I'll give them a call. Thank you.