Home Cancer Forum Coping With Treatments & Side Effects

I need information on Merkel Cell Carcinoma

I was recently diagnosed with Merkel Cell Carcinoma, had the tumor removed and am about to start 25 treatments of radiation. What are my chances of this being successful. I was told that Merkel Cell Carcinoma is deadly.

Comments

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 600 mod

@cavalryrider

Hi,

I am very sorry to hear of your recent diagnosis, I am unfamiliar with this particular cancer, I expect others here may have more insight about it for you.

It is good news to hear you have already had surgery to remove the tumour, I hope your recovery from that is going well.

I hope the radiotherapy goes well for you and is an effective form of treatment.

Everyone's 'chances' of success of coming through cancer are very different as no cancer, even if the same type, is identical and your treatment will be tailored to you specifically. I think it is much better to focus on getting through cancer, being determined to live each day you have. It is not easy, but you will find here loads of support and encouragement to help you get through what you have to endure.

I have read many stories of people who have been given 'x' amount of time etc, and yet have defied dr's prognosis, and are continuing to live their lives way past the 'end date' given them.

Let us know how you get on with the radiotherapy, if you have any questions about that, please feel free to ask.

Best wishes to you,

Lou x