Home Cancer Expert Q&A Hub Diagnosis & Appointments

LizzieJayneLizzieJayne Posts: 6

Hi I’ve just joined the group so would like to introduce myself. My name is Liz and I’m a 52 year old Mother of 2.I was diagnosed with Cancer last June. I’d been in pain for so long that when I was finally told what I had was devastating. I’ve got Lung, Spinal and now Secondary Bone Cancer. I’ve only been able to get through these last 19 months with the help of my amazing Family and Friends. I’ve been on my new treatment for the last 3 months and having a scan next Friday to see if there is any improvement. I find it difficult every time I have these scans as the last time I had one it turned out my treatment had stopped working. I felt like I’d gone back to last June. Instead of letting it keep knocking me down, I picked myself up and got on with my new treatment. This they expect to only work for about 9 months but I will deal with whatever I have to when the time comes. I don’t really talk about my condition to my family as I don’t want to see the hurt in their eyes. Especially my daughter’s. It will be nice to chat to others who understand how I feel.

Comments

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 678 mod

@LizzieJayne

Hi Lizzie,

I just wanted to welcome you to our community, thank you so much for sharing some of your story, I am so sorry to hear about your diagnosis.

I was a similar age to you when I was diagnosed with breast cancer, and I also have two daughters, I can understand completely how devastating it is to have to break that news to family, especially our children. It is brilliant you have such great support around you from friends and family, but I totally get it, as will many others here, how you may not want, or feel able, to talk about things sometimes. Cancer is so heartbreaking for the whole family, there really isn't a prescribed way to get through it all and we have to find a way that works best for us.

It sounds as though you have an inner strength which is helping you to get through this, although I am sure you have some dark days as well as good days. This is a great place to find support and chat with others who really do understand what you are going through , even if the cancer is different. I am glad you found us, everyone here is very friendly and supportive. We manage to smile and laugh too, there is often a 'non-cancer' chat going on too, as sometimes you just don't want to talk about cancer etc on some days. But whatever is going on we are there for one another on the good days and the bad days, and all the days in between. Come and join in with anything you like, I look forward to chatting with you.

Lou x

• LizzieJayneLizzieJayne Posts: 6

Hi Lou

Thankyou so much for your kind words. Yes I have dark days as well as good but I try not to let everyone see this. It’s nice to know I can chat to others that are going through the same as me and understand how I feel.

Will look forward to joining in chats with you all.

Liz x

• jacksprat_x1jacksprat_x1 Posts: 306 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Lizzie,

I am so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. You certainly have been through a lot. Family and friends are a godsend in times like these.

It is an anxious time having scans to see how treatment is working. I really do wish you the very best next Friday.

I am having a full body scan next Thursday. I had a colonoscopy (bowel cancer Dec 2018) on 23 Dec 2019 and am waiting for results of a biopsy of a small growth taken off. Six weeks till I find out the result. I had nearly six months of chemo and last scan 6 months ago which was clear. It’s the countdown to the scans that make me edgy.

Keep in touch with us all here. We do have fun as well as discussing the cancer. It helps as everyone knows what it’s like to live with it. They get it!

Hope scan goes well.

Take care and have a good weekend.

Lv Jackie 🙋‍♀️X

Hi Jackie

Thankyou for your kind words. Yes it’s a very anxious time after the scan awaiting the results. I find it very difficult to sleep during those weeks while I wait. It’s bad enough going through what we have without having to wait weeks for the results. I’m hoping for a positive outcome as if this doesn’t work it’s back to square one.

Good luck with your scan next Thursday. No point saying not to worry or get edgy as I’m exactly the same.

Im out this weekend with the girls from work so it’s nice to forget about things for a while. The girls know I don’t like talking about it while we are out as I don’t want to put a dampener on our evening.

Hope you’ve got a nice weekend planned.

Hope to be able to chat soon

Liz

Hi Liz,

Thank you for your good wishes. I had some good news yesterday. My biopsy of a small lump found on Dec 23rd came back as benign yesterday and no evidence of cancer in the bowel. It’s just over a year since my operation to remove the tumour. Hopefully the scan will show the 6 months of chemo were effective in preventing a spread anywhere else. Fingers crossed.

I really wish you a positive outcome at your scan next Friday.

Meanwhile I hope you have a really great evening out with your work friends.

Normski and I were going out for meal with friends but due to a cold virus we both have we had to postpone it this weekend. It’s Lemsip and cough mixture, not prosecco this weekend! Never mind we’ve had worse! 😜

Take care catch up soon.

Lv Jackie 🙋‍♀️X

Hi Jackie

Thats excellent news I’m so pleased for you. Fingers crossed the scan will show no spread of this horrible disease.

Had my scan today so just the wait for the results. I’m hoping they will be there at my next review on the 10th February.

I have just got over a bad chest and cold so know how you’re feeling. Hopefully you will soon be well and drinking your Prosecco.

Catch up soon

Liz xx

Hi Liz,

I am so sorry I just realised your scan was Friday not next Friday. I hope that the news is good.

Have a lovely evening out. 🥂

Love Jackie xx 🙋‍♀️

Hi Jackie

Yes it was Friday just the wait for the results now. Always a stressful few weeks but hopefully this time it will be good news. If not I will deal as always.

Was a nice evening with the girls just very noisy felt like we were shouting at each other lol.

Hope you’re ok

Love Liz xx

• Trent333Trent333 Posts: 8

Hello..My name is Greg I have rectal cancer..I had my first chemotherapy.. it went well.. I’m going to take it from there

@LizzieJayne

Hi Liz,

Just to say thank you for your kind message.

I’m glad you enjoyed your evening out although I have had nights out like that where you feel like you can’t hear each other. Can be quite tiring. Good to go out though.

Been keeping busy today. It has taken my mind of tomorrows scan. Had my hair cut and blowdry this morning. Went to visit a poorly friend this morning and collected my dear grandson Teddy 6 from school. Was a big surprise for him. His face was a picture. Played scalectrix and other games when we went back to his. Lovely. Played dollies and buggies with 19 month old Ivy too! Was a lovely time.

I hope you are feeling ok and the worry of waiting for results is not getting you down. Take care Liz.

Love Jackie x 😘

Hi Jackie

Hope all goes well tomorrow with your scan. Hope you don’t have as long a wait as I did my appointment was 2 hours late😳.

Ohhh sounds like you’ve had a bust but productive day. Great feeling when you have your hair done. I miss that but hopefully it will not be too long before I get to do that again.

Nothing nicer than spending time with the grandchildren. Glad you were able to spend time and play with Teddy and Ivy. Such lovely names.

I had my youngest daughter and granddaughter stay with me last night (Amie and Thea) abs they are staying again tonight. Thea is such a handful but adorable.

I’m feeling fine trying not to stress too much. Nothing I can do till I know what’s going on.

Good luck for tomorrow and chat again soon.

Love Liz xx

• Blanka_CBlanka_C Posts: 346 Community Admin

@Trent333

Hi Greg,

Just wanted to welcome you to the Community and say I'm so glad your first chemo went well! ❤️ (Also, that's such a lovely picture!)

It's great you have found us, everyone here is really warm and supportive. We share the good, the bad - and laugh a lot together too!

When you feel like it, please do join in any chat, or start your own discussion. We have a couple of very exciting conversations:

Keep me posted on how you're doing and remember, there's always a pair of ears here if you need some support!

Blanka x

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Trent333

Hi Greg,

Just wanted to add my welcome with Blanka's to you.

I hope you are finding your first few days of chemo bearable so far.

As Blanka mentioned, you will find loads of support here, even if the cancer is different( mine was breast cancer), we all understand what it is like to live with cancer and the impact it has on our lives and families.

Feel free to come and chat any time, there is usually someone around all the time. Seeing as we have members from around the world, that is not surprising! 😄

Lou x

Hello everyone. After five chemotherapy.. my tumor is at 7.. From 299 96%healed. God is blessing me.. and my Doctor and Nurses are so great..I thank them for that..I just wanted to share.. It was the grace of God.. Doctors say it might be to late.. But God said it’s not to late.. Just believe in me.. Father,Son And Holy Spirit.. Hallelujah

Greg

I’m praying for each and everyone here to be healed.. Praying for your family’s to be safe in these trying times..of This virus.. stay safe

Greg

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 678 mod

@Trent333

Hi Greg,

It is so good to hear how well you are doing going through chemotherapy, and how effective it is in removing the cancer. I am really pleased for you. I know that your faith will have been an enormous strength to you to help you through this time. I hope you too are managing well during this time of crisis with Covid19.

I hope you continue to make great progress, and stay safe .

Lou x