Home Cancer Forum What's On Your Mind Today?

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy

peter63peter63 Posts: 49 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I recently started a course of CBT with a phycologist, just wondering if anyone else has undertaken this therapy.

Personally I am finding it to b extremely beneficial. My therapist really has helped me view my diagnosis of incurable prostate cancer in a totally new way . Just wondering how other people view this form of therapy.

Comments

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 593 mod

@peter63 @RobertA

Hi Peter,

Welcome to the community, thank you for sharing about the therapy you are having.

It is great you are finding it so beneficial for you, enabling you to view things differently. I have heard of CBT but I am unfamiliar with how it 'works' or the process involved. I know of others who have used CBT with other illnesses and have found it to be very effective for them also.

Do you feel able to share how it has helped you? For instance is it in your thought patterns or reactions to things etc?

When you are faced with an incurable illness, like others here are, or indeed any illness, I think if you are able to access therapy that is effective it is very worthwhile. Dealing with and living with cancer is often the worst illness someone has to contend with, in a moment it becomes life-changing. Somehow we have to process it all, then find a way through that works for us, everyone is different, so there are many ways.

Rob, I hope you don't mind me tagging you, I know you and Peter will have loads in common to chat over.

Peter, I hope you find this community a place of great support and friendship, we are a friendly bunch who try and help each other how ever we can. Just by being here, chatting, we can find hope and inspiration to keep going.

I hope to chat with you soon,

Lou x

• peter63peter63 Posts: 49 ✭✭✭

Hi Louise,

More than happy to share my experience.

Basically I have learnt two techniques to help change my thoughts and perception about having incurable prostate cancer. I do believe that it's important to find a qualified therapist who has good references and experience.

The two techniques are Socratic Thinking and The Naughty Parrot.

Both of these are designed to help change your thinking from negative to positive, both use the ides of concrete evidence to support the thinking process.

More information can be found on the Internet, but I do strongly recommend a therapist to help.

Please don't hesitate to contact me further if required

Regards and best wishes Peter

• RobertARobertA Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

@peter63 @LouiseJ

Hi Peter

Great to hear from you. I was really interested to read your post and I immediately googled Socratic Thinking and the Naughty Parrot. I had not heard of either, but I realised that I have probably been using Socratic Thinking without even knowing it. I still see my counsellor once a month for a chat and I look forward to discussing it further with her in a couple of weeks time.

I was was diagnosed with incurable prostate cancer three years ago. As you know, the treatments for preventing the cancer from spreading keep us alive, but the physical and mental side effects can be very wearing and after a few months or so I realised that I needed help. The wonderful MacMillans provided me with a counsellor, who together with my wife, managed to put me together again over the next few months. My counsellor introduced me to CBT which has helped me to rediscover the happy person I used to be. Whenever I thank her for what she has done for me, she insists that I have done it for myself. She has merely helped me to develop the coping skills which have allowed me to change my own thinking, problematic emotions and behaviour.

It has turned my life around and sharpened my enthusiasm for living in the present and having fun. Mary and I laugh at each other's silly jokes, we go out for a meal together at least once a week, we go to the theatre and I even accompany her to the shops, though I wish she could walk past a shoe shop without going in. I still feel that life has much to offer. 

I firmly believe that CBT can work for a wide range of problems and I am delighted to be chatting to another male who has embraced it. I find it frustrating that men are generally reluctant to do so even though it can make a huge difference in the quality of life.

I do hope that you will keep in touch.

Rob

• peter63peter63 Posts: 49 ✭✭✭

Hi Rob,

I have had male friends who told me to man up and get on with things. I have realised since entering therapy how wrong they where. My therapist has really helped me reach a much happier place in life.

Good luck for the future,,best wishes.

Regards Peter