Homeβ€Ί Cancer Expert Q&A Hubβ€Ί Coping With Treatments & Side Effects

hair loss/thinning advice

Kathy40192Kathy40192 Posts: 1 ✭

Hi

I have had 3 round of Chemo Plaxo/Taxal , have been using cold cap. Lost lots of hair after first round so got it cut, it seems to have slowed down but it is very thin. Im interested to know whether people have used any of the shampoo/hair thickening products whilst going through chemo and if so did it make any difference . or is it worth waiting till chemo finishes . Also I see someone said that Zinc tablets helped with the hair loss has anyone else experienced this .

many thanks

Kathy

Answers

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 680 mod

@Kathy40192

Hi Kathy,

Welcome to the community, it is lovely to 'meet' you.

It is great you have made it through to round three of chemo, I know and understand how difficult it is to tolerate and cope with.

It is interesting to hear the cold cap has helped to slow down the hair loss for you, I know this is the intention of it, but it doesn't always work that way. Will you be having the cold ca all the way through chemo?

I haven't used any products relating to improving hair quality damaged by chemo, I just let nature do its thing. I did lose all of my hair during chemo, it has now grown back very differently from what it was pre-cancer. Unless there is a product that specifically helps your hair whilst you are going through chemo, I would be inclined to wait until chemo is finished. I don't think the thinning will be improved while you are still having chemo drugs pumped in to your body.

It is possible that taking zinc may help with improving hair quality, but I would definitely check with your Dr or oncologist before starting to take any supplements. Caution is required and advice is to be sought in case the supplements interfere with the effectiveness of the chemo, and any other meds you may be taking.

Hopefully some of our members will have some wisdom or insight into this for you. You are very welcome here, everyone is very supportive and friendly, you will find a lot of understanding from others here.

Please feel free to come and chat anytime, there are always a variety of discussions on the go, you can join in whenever you feel like it.

I hope the chemo works well for you and also that any other treatment you are having is successful in eliminating the cancer.

Hope to chat soon, let us know how you get on,

Lou x

• Blanka_CBlanka_C Posts: 349 Community Admin

Hi @Kathy40192,

A massive welcome to you! πŸ’•

I don't have experience with chemo specifically, however we've written loads of articles (with tips from our community members) that you might find useful having a look at. I've found this for you on using a cooling cap & hair loss: https://cancer.livebetterwith.com/blogs/cancer/which-shampoo-can-you-use-with-a-cooling-cap

You can also find all of our blogs on taking care of your hair here: https://cancer.livebetterwith.com/blogs/cancer/tagged/popular-tag_hair-loss

I hope your treatment goes well and please remember that we're always here to listen. πŸ€—

Blanka x

• SuzyGSuzyG Posts: 1 ✭

I am mid chemotherapy treatment and hoping to get a holiday before the next round starts anyone found a company that will insure in these circumstances tried some but have been declined

Any suggestions

• RobertARobertA Posts: 1,177 mod

@SuzyG

Hi Suzy

Following my cancer diagnosis three years ago, the Insurance company I had been with for many years refused me travel insurance. I was advised to try www.insurancewith.com which was set up 20 years ago by insurance broker Fiona MacRae who tried to obtain travel insurance herself following chemotherapy for breast cancer. She came across problems with Insurance companies who asked personal and intrusive questions in an insensitive manner, and the cost of the policies they offered was more than the price of the holiday. She decided to set up her own company, Insurancewith.com and when I contacted them myself, I was treated with kindness and was offered a competitive policy which I accepted. I cannot say whether you will get a quote in mid treatment but there is nothing to lose by asking.

You could also try Live Better With Travel Insurance though I have no personal knowledge of that. Travel Insurance - Live Better With Cancer

All the best

Rob x

• AnnebAnneb Posts: 91 ✭✭✭

@Kathy40192 @LouiseJ @RobertA

Hello everyone.

My wonderful hairdresser Jackie rang all her suppliers ( unbeknown to me ) to find out what i could use to help my hair. It grew like straw...lol....and the lose was terrible everytime i brushed it after and during treatment.

You probably wouldn't be able to buy it in england but it may be a good idea to ask your hairdresser to see if she could do the same with their suppliers.

My hair is now pretty good and relatively thick.

Love Margy πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ’–

Hi Margy,

Thanks for sharing this, do you still use the hair product? What is it, and do you know the ingredients? It may be marketed under a different name here and be available to buy.

It is great your hair has grown back so well too!

Chat later,

Lou xx

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Anneb

Hi Margy,

Here is the thread we were talking about. 😊

Thank you so much for giving me the following info about the hair products.

The products must not have the following in them

Sulphate

Parabens

Silicones.

Especially the sulphate.

Hope this is useful information for everyone.

Lou x

@Sunshinedaff

I forgot to mention lou, that i bought a kids hat to wash my hair so no irritants could get on my face.

It looks hilarious but no one sees meπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ but it works.

My skin aged 5 years i am sure and worry lines just popped up😲😲

So this little hat saved me a fair bit too.

I still wear it now to wash my hair

Love Margy πŸ’–πŸ’–

@Sunshinedaff @RobertA

To make you smile 😁😁😁😁😁😁

@Anneb

Hahaha πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚, love that Margy!! I never sing in the shower πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚.

How does that collar work? I've not seen those before. Have you got a pic? πŸ˜„.

Lou xx

@Sunshinedaff

Lol for your hair not a collar 🀣🀣🀣 could only find pic of kids with it on 🀣🀣🀣 widely used here for little ones. Keeps shampoo

out of the eyesπŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ’–

edited January 17

@Anneb @Sunshinedaff

Haha Margy,

I think I might get a blue one. Well, I do sing in the shower to be honest and I can't imagine what the paramedics might think if they found me naked with one of those on.πŸ™ˆπŸ˜«

Rob xx

@Anneb @RobertA

Hi Margy, Rob,

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ Hahaha, I laughed out loud at you both!

so funny!!

Lou xx

• Villiger1Villiger1 Posts: 3 ✭

Interesting reading just been diagnosed with B Cancer all scans next week just don’t know what to expect.......

• FrannyFranny Posts: 7 ✭

Hi this my first time posting, I really need advise how to deal with my hair loss, due to Chemo, should i shave it or do i let it fall out naturally, what do others think is best...?

I do not look forward to my showers now, seeing what is left behind each day and finding hair everywhere, any tips v welcome

Thank you

Franny

@Franny @Villiger1

Hi to both of you, welcome to our community, I am glad you found us. Everyone here is very friendly and supportive, I hope you will find it so and get to know us soon.

@Villiger1

I hope your scans go ok this week, in the early days of diagnosis, there are generally a lot of appointments like these and the waiting to hear about treatment timelines and test results is a very anxious time. Please let us know how you get on. There are many of us here who have been diagnosed with breast cancer, you will find a lot of understanding. If you find you have questions or thoughts please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Hi Franny,

Hair loss during chemotherapy is very distressing, it is a horrible thing to experience. It is very personal choice how you go with this. Personally I found it a lot better to shave it off once it began to fall out, rather than let it all drop out over time. For me it began two weeks after my first chemo round, it was very strange. I became nervous of brushing my hair much because I knew there would be tons of it in the brush. It was also very painful, my head hurt a lot! The following week my hairdresser visited and I had it shaved off. Once it was off, I had to get used to the bald head, but it was better than finding my hair everywhere. This same week I had been shopping with my friend for hats and scarves, I chose not to have a wig, we had a laugh doing this. I looked such a state, but it was funny. Humour in dark times, helped a great deal.

How have you been this week? How are you coping with chemo so far?

Please let us know how you are doing, come and chat anytime,

Lou x

Hi really helpful feedback thanks for that, yes I was considering having it shaved, but was worried about seeing me bald in the mirror, I expect it takes a while to get used to, but it's going to happen anyway, so think I will do it sooner rather than later.

Chemo is going ok thanks I've got my 3rd session next week and it's not as awful as I thought it would be, so that's a bonus!

This site is great, so informative!

Franny x

Well I did it, I had my head shaved,that was a really big thing for me I've always taken a lot of time on my hair, but it did give me such a shock when I looked in the mirror!

I'm still trying to get used to it slowly, it feels and looks so weird, but I definitely did the right thing, it was falling out anyway and now I don't have to worry about finding hair everywhere, which was not nice.

So I would say shaving is the best way, it puts you in control!

Thank you for the advice, it was so good to hear how other people deal with this upsetting situation.

Franny x

@Franny

Good morning Franny πŸ˜€

Well done on taking that decision, it is a huge thing to do, and to get used to. I am glad you feel it was the better thing for you to do, it might always seem weird when you see yourself. It is a good point you make about how it gave you some control over this part of dealing with cancer. I hope you are able to find something suitable to use to cover your head if you choose to do that.

I am also very glad to hear you are managing to get through chemotherapy fairly well. I found it was a day by day thing, I would tick off each day I managed to get through without being sick, which turned out to be every day thankfully. I hope this next round you are going through continues in the same way for you.

Thinking of you,

Lou x

Hi Lou

Thank you for your kind supportive message, I am just able to look in the mirror and starting to get used to it now. I've now have a wig, a pile of hats, scarves and sleep caps to choose from, so I'll be ok!

I only realised after my hair was gone how much I had hid behind my mid length hair, so all the harder to get used to i guess, but somehow this helps me be less vain and think about the bigger, more important things in life.

3rd Chemo session down, no sickness and I'm coping ok. And some good news to share, my breast cancer is shrinking, to more than half the original size, so I'm much happier this week!

Hope all is good with you

Franny x

@Franny

Hi Franny

I don’t for a minute believe that you were vain. It is perfectly normal to want to look your best and it must have been a really tough decision to have your head shaved.

It is great to know that you are coping so well with your chemo and even better to hear that your cancer is shrinking.

it is good to have you on board. This is a friendly community and we love to chat and support each other through the cancer journey.

Rob x

@Franny

Hi Franny,

Awesome news! That is really great to hear that already you are seeing a positive impact of the treatment on the cancer. It is very encouraging and I am sure you must feel very relieved it is working. You are moving in the right direction!😊

It is good you have found a variety of headgear to wear, it does help, even if just to help keep you warmer!

I am really glad for you that this latest round is going smoothly too, you just keep on keeping on! We are all here for you, anytime you need us!😊

Have a restful weekend,

Lou x

• TeacherspetTeacherspet Posts: 4 ✭

My hospital dropped the ball on the cold capping for me and I had my first carbo/taxol chemotherapy on 1/20/2020 without it. I lost about 70% of my hair during the second week after treatment. The hospital apologized and I started the cold capping the second treatment. In the United States, this is not covered so you have to pay for it. The hospital is covering mine because they made the mistake.

After my second one, I have found that my hair is not shedding as much and has begun to grow back in places. I am using Pura D'Or Gold Label anti thinning Shampoo and Conditioner on the two days a week that I wash my hair. I am also using Essy Naturals Natural Hair Growth Oil with Caffeine and Biotin. I also take 5000 mcg of biotin daily ( with my oncologist's permission) during chemotherapy.

• Villiger1Villiger1 Posts: 3 ✭

Brilliant news I have been diagnosed with BC scans all done and not spread which is a bonus. Have had markers put in and see the oncologist next week for treatment plan. I have already bought head scarves etc and going to chose a wig today, I have mid length hair and will have my head shaved as told by friends it starts dropping out straight after first session. I now am positive about this it’s happened let get on with it as long as it goes that’s fine even if I have a mastectomy at the end. I am a Granny and Mother my girls have lost their father and they are not losing me. Bit worried about this virus told my family that I will see them at Xmas ....

Hi Villager 1

Sounds like you are exactly in line with my diagnosis, and like me you have a good positive attitude. I am also a grandmother. We will be going through this together... We are lucky to have our families to focus on.

The chemo is not as bad as you imagine, I started mine 6:wks ago and lump is shrinking already!

Hair loss takes a while to get used to, but think it's better to take control and shave, not wait for it to fall out every where. As long as you have wigs and scarfs, you can create a new look for yourself, I'm loving my scarves.

Sending you positive wishes, have fun choosing your wig!

Best wishes

Franny x

• Mog50Mog50 Posts: 3 ✭

Hi

Not posted before. About to have my seventh round of chemo. Lost my hair after second round but just recently my scalp has been itching. Is there anything I can use to stop the itch? I only use a baby shampoo with no additives in.

Thank you