Live Better With Cancer..Community bringing people together....

SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Brightstar

From virtual to reality!

This morning I had the joy of meeting up with one of our members J .

How brilliant to find we lived in close proximity to one another and decided we simply had to meet for coffee in real life!!

We had such a lovely time chatting finding out how we have even had very similar experiences unrelated to cancer! Lol!! Just don't mention taxi's 😂.

To think the community was only launched last November, bringing people together, to help us all live better with cancer. I know I have made friends with others here too, and will definitely be meeting them too one day.

Here is a pic of J and I enjoying coffee in Costa at our local shopping centre...

Lou xx

Comments

• BrightstarBrightstar Posts: 235 ✭✭✭

@Sunshinedaff @RobertA @Lesley @SueEvaM @jacksprat_x1

Hi All. Yes it was so lovely to meet Lou. She has been so supportive, as I know she has to a lot of people. I found it a real privilege to be able to meet up with her.

I very nearly didn't join the forum, as its not the sort of thing I would normally do. I don't do Facebook or anything like that. In fact, I am quite a private person in real life.

I am so glad that I made that big step back in October, as I have come to really enjoy hearing from you all. Its a wonderful forum, and I really hope that in time I get to personally meet more of you.

I don't want you to be jealous Rob, but I am getting to sample one of Lou's cakes, as she very generously gave me one for Christmas. I can't wait to try it, but I am trying to save it for Christmas eve. But, as I have virtually no willpower whatsoever, I don't hold a lot of hope with that one! 😂 😂 😂

If I look like I am trying to hide behind Lou on the photo, it's because I am! 😂 I hate having my photo taken, so you are all very privileged.

I only changed my profile picture, so Lou would know what I looked like!😊

Hope you all have managed to have a lovely day.

Love and 🤗 🤗 J xx

• SueEvaMSueEvaM Posts: 30 ✭✭

Hi J and Lou

what a lovely photo of you both, it is so nice that you have had the opportunity to meet up and share some supportive time together. You both look fabulous!! I believe this goes to show how important the power of support groups like this one are, whether you are posting, commenting, just reading or like J and Lou creating new friendships we can all hopefully get some comfort in our hours of need.

Sue

• Blanka_CBlanka_C Posts: 107 Community Admin

@Sunshinedaff @Brightstar

Hi Lou and J,

Thank you for sharing this.❤️ It was so unexpected an honestly, it's really heart-warming to read this.

Glad you had such a great time. You both look absolutely fantastic!

Love,

Blanka x

• RobertARobertA Posts: 861 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sunshinedaff @Brightstar @SueEvaM @jacksprat_x1 @Lesley @Blanka_C

Hello everyone

Oh Lou and J. What a lovely photograph and I am so envious and wish that I had been able able to meet you both. The cake has nothing to do with it of course🎂😋😘

Yes Lou, It is hard to believe that the Community was only launched just over a year ago. The support I have received here, and the friendships I have made have been really valuable for me and I agree absolutely with you and with Sue on that,

Well J. I am so pleased you decided to join the forum. It is a joy to read your lovely chatty posts so full of fun and positivity. And thanks for the privilege of your photo. I’m sure Alfie won’t mind if I agree with Jackie on that. Next thing, we will get to know your name.😊

Hi Jackie. I am so happy to hear that you are enjoying your best Christmas ever. Pity about the timing of the colonoscopy, but it will be lovely going into Christmas Day knowing that all is well as I am sure it will be. Thanks for the lovely photo of the shepherd and the reminder of the meaning of Christmas.

Hi Blanka. Wouldn’t it be lovely if we could arrange an annual get together. I am sure it could be done if we put our minds to it.

Love to you all

Rob xx

• jacksprat_x1jacksprat_x1 Posts: 254 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

No I’m sure the cake doesn’t come into it haha! Being a lover of cake too!

Thank you Rob. Soon be over with!

It would be great to meet up and we could get together for a good old sing song! Folk Club was fab last night at a different club near me...and there was cake and mincepies! Poor Norm missed out as was working, i went with friends a fiddler and her husband Nigel a guitarist and we all sing. We sang Green Grow the Rushes O, All Around My Hat and a festive take on Gaudete a latin song written in 1591! Recorded by Fairport Convention. The words were changed to describe festive food! Look it up Rob. Lovely tune.

Crudites, crudites with crisps for starters, Anchovies in virgin oil, crudites!

Guacamole, caviar, basil and tomata Aubergine and feta dip, taramasalata.

Was very funny and all joined in on the chorus! A good end to the year and gives a good idea what to have at your buffets this xmas! 😄

Have a good day all! Must get on with some work now!

Love Jackie xx🙋‍♀️

Ahh Jackie it sounds like you had a fabulous time last night. I felt quite envious reading about it. The buffet is right up my street!

At least your colonoscopy will be out of the way for the new year.

You can make up for everything Christmas day. I am sure you will be well spoilt and you have a good excuse for over indulging!

Loved the picture of the shepherd. It brought joy to my heart just looking at it.

Well, as I now feel I am amongst friends I will let you all into a little secret! My name is Julie, although I have to say I have rather liked J 😊

Going to have a nice slice of yule log and a cup of tea, and watch a sloppy Christmas film! Perfect 👌

Love to you all Julie 😘

• cosiecosie Posts: 28 ✭✭

Oh my word, this is SO lovely to read!!!!!!!

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cosie , @RobertA @Brightstar @jacksprat_x1 @Lesley @SueEvaM @Blanka_C

Good evening all of you lovely people!

You have all been so busy chatting on here today, it is so lovely to read all of your news everyday.

Apologies I have been quiet today, I haven't been feeling too great, throat etc , hoping it is just due to tiredness and getting up at 4 am to ensure Hannah is up for work.

This afternoon, we all returned to the shops to look for presents for my brothers-in-law. My husband lasted one shop before deciding he'd had enough! lol!😀 We ended up back at Costa for coffee and hot chocolate, watching a beautiful afternoon sky, where the rain had subsided for a little while. Saw the most amazing rainbow, really stunning.

Jackie, I love the pic of your little shepherd, really adorable, I am so glad you are able to enjoy all the festivities and run up to Christmas this year, your evening sounded lovely. I will be thinking of you on Monday when you have your procedure, as Rob has said, once it is over with you can really relax and rest to enjoy Christmas. You have been through so much this year, this will be a very special time for you this time. I too have a few Christmas jumpers which I love wearing, mind you apart from the one I am wearing in the photo, the others are all mens ones as my arm will not fit in ladies jumpers due to the lymphodema! Hahaha😁

J, sorry Julie! 😁, I have been enjoying some cake, pretty tasty! For some reason I can't get my lot to watch a Christmas film yet, so it was Top Gear for us earlier, though I do like that. I agree with Rob, I am so glad you joined us here, we are becoming a real band of merry men 😂.

Rob, you know one day soon we will finally we will all one day be in the same room, drinking wine no doubt! And eating cake of course!! A day to look forward to!

An early night for me, up again at 4am tomorrow, I wish you all a peaceful, restful evening, chat tomorrow!

Lou xx

@cosie , @RobertA @Brightstar @jacksprat_x1@Lesley  @Blanka_C @Sunshinedaff

so lovely that you don’t need to hide behind your initial, Julie though I quite like ‘J’ too!

hope you are feeling better soon Lou, it’s incredible how a little bit of extra busyness can take it out of you. Make sure you have plenty of rest over the weekend if you can.

Jackie, I love the little shepherd boy photo, it reminds me of my class who had their Nativity earlier this week, unfortunately I wasn’t well enough to go and watch but apparently there wasn’t a dry eye in the house! Hope all goes well for you on Monday🤞.

Rob and all the other cake 🍰 lovers amongst you, glad you are all managing to enjoy the tasty treats around at this time of year, for some reason I have been suffering from indigestion quite badly just recently, so I am reluctant to indulge as much as I might like☹️. Must remember to stock up on Rennies at the weekend.

love and best wishes to you all, Sue

Good evening everyone,

I hope you are all having a calm, peaceful weekend. Not sure about the rest of you, but I keep getting my days mixed up, I don't know what has happened this week! Lol! 😄

I understand how you feel Sue ( @SueEvaM ) with the indigestion, I seem to be taking more antacid these days especially at nighttime!

With you in the midst of chemo treatment indigestion can be troublesome, I remember when I was having chemo I had terrible indigestion, my oncologist was able to give me something to help. Perhaps it may be an idea to mention it to yours at your next chemo appointment?

How are you doing at the moment? I hope your chemo schedule allows you to have a few good days over the Christmas period.

I have been resting today, sat wrapping mostly while watching tv, Elf this afternoon, one of my favourites!! ( Just a big kid still at heart I am😄). Still feeling a bit unwell, but had meds and now a glass of sparkle to help things along!

Hope you are having a peaceful evening.

Lou xx

Hi Lou,

glad to hear you have been able to get some rest today and hope you will feel better soon. I have had a better day today, managed to get out for a short walk this afternoon which was nice. My next chemo is due on 2nd January and I am down to have a PICC line put in on 30th December as last time the nurses tried 3 times to get a cannula in, without luck, so at least I should have some quality time with my family over the Christmas period. Enjoy your glass of fizz Lou, you deserve it!

love and best wishes, Sue x

• AnnebAnneb Posts: 59 ✭✭✭

@Sunshinedaff

Oh Lou, i just adore your jumper 💖💖 i was just saying this week that instead of 40 degree heat, i would love a cold Christmas so i could get a Christmas jumper

💖💖💖💖💖

Hello everyone

I love reading all of your stories and I hope that everyone feels well and is able to enjoy the festivities on Christmas Day.

We have been invited to friends who have a 13 year old daughter who plays the violin so we are planning some music. I am relieved as I am hopeless at cards and always get told off for playing the wrong ones.😕

Hi Jackie @jacksprat_x1 . I had heard the Steeleye Span A Capello version of Gaudete but I did not know of the Fairport Convention recording so I looked it up on YouTube. I also found an unplugged live recording of Beth Hart at the piano singing 'Chocolate Jesus'. I loved it and I see that she is performing in Manchester in February which might work for me. I have downloaded the sheet music with chords so I will have a go myself. Maybe we can sing it together before too long. Either way, I would love to see you singing with your group, especially if you sing like Beth.

Soon be dinner time and I may also have a glass of my favourite Aussie Shiraz.

Rob x

@SueEvaM @Anneb @RobertA @Lesley @Brightstar @jacksprat_x1 @Blanka_C

Hello everyone, I can't get my head around it being Christmas. I think November/December must be two of the fastest months! 😄

Thanks Sue, I am a bit coldy, but have been resting as much as possible. It is great tge chemo timings worked out do you could have a break now. I hope the Picc line on 30th goes ok. I had one put in, it does make chemo and bloods etc so much easier, especially if your veins like to run and hide as soon as a needle appears! Mine did haha, at the speed of light 😄.

Thank you so much Margy! Look in June, just wear one as your nod to Christmas in the cold! Never mind the fashion police, what do they know anyway?!! I think my socks and slippers are testament to that!! Hahaha 😂😂. Here they are....Elf, Santa's helper, that's my name!!

😂😂😂

Haha, Rob, we love playing card games, but it doesn't always end peacefully. Not as bad as pictionary though, lol! Mark gets really annoyed at our efforts of drawing ( well mine!), He proceeded to show us how things should be drawn.. we almost wet ourselves laughing..now it is a running joke...'no, this is how you draw it...' to anything!

Lou xx

I saw this this morning, it is really beautiful and moving. A true reflection of finding hope and joy in the midst of trial.

I hope the link works.

Lou xx

That is so lovely 😊,

Sue xx

OMG I could not stop crying, that really got to me. 😭😭

edited December 2019

@Sunshinedaff @SueEvaM @Anneb @Brightstar @Lesley @jacksprat_x1 @Blanka_C @cosie

Hello everyone

Well, that is really lovely Lou. It is one of my favourite Christmas songs and I have eight different recordings of it. This one is extra special and gives real meaning to the words.

Love the slippers too. I was chatting on FaceTime to my lovely niece in Texas last night and she told me she has a pair of slippers which look like sharks eating her feet. I did suggest that elves and Santas might be more appropriate this week. 😂🤣

Rob xx

Hi All,

That was sooooo beautiful. Lovely voices together. Those Doctors and Nurses are truly Angels in Hospital clothing!

My colonoscopy went well. Teeny 2mm polyp taken off sent for analysis. Hopefully too small to have developed into any thing. Scan on 24 Jan too full body. He said all looks good in bowel though. 😘👍

Take care all have a peaceful day.

Love Jackie 🙋‍♀️😘💖

@jacksprat_x1

Hi Jackie

Thanks for letting us know. It sounds like really good news and I am delighted for you. I bet you are ready for a good feed now. Mary even allowed me a giant piece of carrot cake after mine.

Rob x

@jacksprat_x1 @RobertA

Hi Jackie, just realised I left you off my list to everyone. I'm soooo sorry, but my brain is full of fog at the moment.

Great news about your colonoscopy. So very pleased for you.

My biggest fear when I had mine a few years ago, was breaking wind when they pulled the tube out! 😂 😂 Luckily I was fine. My god the enema I had to use before was pretty violent! I was also terrified there was some waste left and it would come out during the process. I was told it can happen, but not to worry! 😱 I don't know, the things we have to go through! I can't remember what I had to eat afterwards, I just know I was relieved that everything was OK. My father died of bowel cancer, and my brother had to have a piece of his bowel taken away many years ago. So because it runs in the family I have to be screened for it. My brother still succumbed to cancer in the end, but it was throat cancer that got him. He was a very heavy smoker though!

Have a wonderful Christmas and let's hope 2020 is a good one for you. Keep us posted on your full scan results. I will be crossing my fingers for you.

Hi Rob. Hope Mary allowed you a glass of red wine as well as the cake after yours 😊

Peace, joy and love Julie xx

@RobertA

Just fancied a nice glass of wine, so I have opened a bottle of Jammy Red Roo. I always think of you now when I drink red wine.

Did you manage to source this one? Will be cooking a nice fillet steak to go with it shortly 😋 and no doubt the bottle will get finished.

John will have a glass and I don't have to tell him off with this one! Most red wines he mixes with coco cola ( I know its sacrilege). Apparently its known as croke! But the Jammy Red Roo, he actually likes on its own.

So I will say cheers Rob 🍷🍷🍷and have a lovely evening. Xx

@RobertA @Brightstar @jacksprat_x1 @Lesley @Anneb @cosie @SueEvaM

Hello to all of you lovely people!! 😄

It really cheers me up no end reading all of these posts😄

Jackie, so good your the procedure went ok, and will continue to pray and hope the biopsy comes back ok, but it all sounds positive, which is what we focus on.

Julie, you made me hungry reading about steak and red wine!! Lol! I have never heard of red wine and coke!!!! 😄

I didn't mean to make you cry over the clip! It was very moving though, wasn't it.

Hahaha 😂, Rob, those slippers sound funny! My elf ones have a bell inside the bobble at the end of my foot. The cats can't work out what's going on!! Hahaha 😂😂

Well, not red wine for me tonight, sparkle again! Just me having it so the bottle lasts several days. Sorry! Haha! 😂😂

Have a peaceful evening everyone.

🤗🤗

Lou xx

Gos, I wish a bottle would last me a few days! John only had one glass, I polished off the rest a little too easy. 🤣🤣

Steak was delicious. I always make a Stilton and port sauce to go with it. Yes, I know, alcohol again! 😂 😂

Love the fact your slippers have a bell in them. I would love to watch your cats when you are moving about in them.

Lots of 🤗 Julie 😘

Hi everyone, thank you all for your good wishes. So glad to get that done. Looking forward to all that lovely Christmas Fayre! Rob my dear friend brought me a piece of delicious chocolate cake, so light and fluffy it was! I was ready for it having not eaten since 1pm yesterday!

I love the slipper talk! Sharks and slippers with bells in sound great!

I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas and enjoy the company of loved ones and friends.

Love Jackie xxx 🎄🎅🙋‍♀️

@Sunshinedaff @RobertA @Brightstar @jacksprat_x1

Plus everyone else in our lovely community.

Well it is xmas eve afternoon. Boiling hot and smoke to the door. Fires and smoke. Oh well we will make the most of it. I finely finished wrapping an hour ago. Wow, this is the latest i have ever done this.

Lou, i bought a xmas cake and plum pudding.😢😢😢 nothing like yours. I am going to do Christmas in july next year and get my Christmas jumper. I will send you all the photo when i get one💖💖💖 or i could work on a trip next year 💖💖💖

Oh yes rob, definately I play the sympathy card. I do not see the point of going through cancer and not getting heaps and heaps of presents 🤣🤣🤣 i do have a warped sence of humor 🤣🤣🤣 my family thought i was in denial about having cancer as i always found the silly side of everything. I wasnt taking it all seriously enough for them. However behind the scenes i was taking everything very seriously but couldnt see the sense of being unhappy. I had excellant doctors and they were doing everything to make me better, cant ask for more than that can you. 🤣🤣🤣 and i am a massive optimist and happy, so no reason to change.

Just keep bringing me presents 🤣🤣🤣🤣 doesnt have to be Christmas 😅😅😅😅

Anyway my lovely friends, i wish you all the very best from down under 💖💖 i have so enjoyed everyones stories and traditions💖💖 i cannot wait for more in the future💖💖it is so wonderful to connect with each other and we dont have to explain how we are going as we all understand. I am so thankfull to my son who buys me English magazines (i love anything English ) and i read the story about LBWC and joined that day. It has been the best part of my cancer recovery...besides being alive🤣🤣🤣 lol said i had a weird sense of humor.

I wish you all the love and hugs in the world.

Merry Christmas

Love Margy 🎅🎅🎅🎅🎅🎅🎅🎅🎅🎅🎅

Ps. Cant see a thing past a row of homes below us. There are mountains that cant be seen for smoke. Been like this for weeks.

Xxxxxx

This is what it should look like 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Merry Christmas

Love Margy xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx

Happy Christmas Margy,

It’s always lovely to get your upbeat posts. You are amazing considering what you have being going through with your health and also the devastating fires you are experiencing in Australia at the moment. The air must be hard to breathe. I don’t know how I’d cope. Someone’s only got to light a domestic bonfire near me and my nose starts to twitch😂 My nephew lives in Brisbane and told us about the fires. I would do a rain dance for you all if it would help! You live in a beautiful area too.

Moving Christmas would be a good idea so you could all wear a Christmas Jumper! You will get some funny looks tho! Just sayin! I hope you get loads of presents, you deserve them!

I wish you a very happy positive christmas with lots of heavy rain to dampen those fires down!

Look forward to seeing your posts next year!

Lots of Love

Jackie xxxx

🎄🎅🎄🎅🎄🎅🎄😄🎄🎅🎄🎅

Hi Jackie

Thank you for the christmas cheer. Yes the smoke is causing havoc with anyone with respiratory problems. We have been taking hayfever tablets to stave off sore eyes , dry throat and coughing and sneezing fits🤣🤣🤣🤣so funny, my husband pete is upto 21 sneezes in a row...our son and i count them...just cracks us up 🤣🤣🤣 not sure if pete thinks it is funny though 🤣🤣🤣

I have been googling xmas jumpers in australia to buy and i found matching ones for pete and myself 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 petes face did not look as excited as mine 🤣🤣🤣🤣 when i showed him ...what a piker 🤣🤣🤣

I will attach pictures. I couldnt find anything like Lou's ...bummer.

Yes we live amongst the mountains, a stones through from the snow in winter. A beautiful part of Australia........when you can see it🤣🤣🤣 we need a really good wind storm and rain. However with fires and rain it is usually full of ash, but we would not care this time 💖💖

Talking about presents...lol... we were sitting outside before and i said to pete and beau that i knew what i wanted for mother's day in may next year... 🤣🤣🤣🤣well they both cracked up. Beau said " well lets get over xmas, dads birthday, my birthday and easter first"

And i said that i have to tell them or i might forget what i want by then 🤣🤣🤣🤣 plus whatever else i think of till then 🤣🤣🤣 i tell you , i really am a present person.....i do love giving them as well 💖💖

Have a beautiful Christmas

Lots of love

Margy

Ps: what does eveyone think of the matching jumpers...not sure pete would wear it but i will make beau wear it 🤣🤣🤣🤣🎅🎅🎅🎅🎅

The boys are building me a roof on the deck

In 36 degree heat 😲😲😲 got rocks in their heads if you ask me🤣🤣🤣 what a pair of weirdo's 😅😅😅

This is what we do in Australia........work in heat 🤣🤣🤣 i will send finished product in a few weeks as the roofing had to be ordered💖