Home Cancer Forum Living Better With Cancer

Reacurrence

Hi I had masectomy 25 Oct with 17 lymph nodes out of 37 with cancer in them. It's still primary breast cancer and I'm goin to have chemo and radiotherapy plus. The thing is I have anxiety attack Becaue I'm scared after all this treatment it will come back. I read stories about women dying from secondary breast cancer all the time and it scares me. I have counselling but I still get scared I need help to cope this.

Comments

• JerseyBobJerseyBob Posts: 61 mod
    edited December 2019

@sarahscar

Hi Sarah

I am sorry to hear your story. You have been through a lot and with chemo and radiotherapy to come, it is not surprising that you are feeling anxious.

I am pleased that you have found us and I am sure that members of our community who are familiar with your situation will get in touch and share their experiences.

Though my cancer is different, I am very familiar with the way you feel. When you are told you have cancer, very often it becomes a life-changing experience for you, your family and close friends. There is a lot to come to terms with and it takes time but I do think it gets easier as the shock wears off and you get used to your new situation.

It is good to hear that you are receiving counselling and I hope that you have someone you can relate to. I found it invaluable for my well being but it took me a little time to so it is important to stick with it if you can.

By the way, I also take Sertraline tablets as prescribed by my Doctor. They are not a 'Happy Pill'. They simply boost the low serotonin levels in my brain and help me to battle anxiety and depression. It did take a couple of weeks before I started to feel better, but they seem to help a little.

Like you, I found the Live Better With Community. I needed to talk with people who understood the emotional whirlwind I was experiencing and who would not judge me. I have found that and made good friends too. I am so pleased you are here with us because you can say anything you like and we will listen and understand. Welcome to our lovely, friendly group.

Rob x

• sarahscarsarahscar Posts: 3

Thanks for replying Rob

Il pop into GP afrer Christmas to see if they can prescribe something for my anxiety xxx

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sarahscar

Hello Sarah,

Welcome to the community, I am so sorry to hear of your diagnosis, I am not surprised you have been feeling very anxious about the whole situation and the fear of cancer returning is very not unusual.

It is good that you have had surgery already, I hope you are beginning to recover from that major operation. It does take a while, especially to regain movement in your arm, and for any swelling to go down as well as healing of the operation site. I do understand.

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2015, I had chemo, a mastectomy and radiotherapy. Thankfully the treatment I received was successful and I no longer have cancer. I am on medication to help prevent it returning.You are very much in the early days of your treatment, I am sure the shock of diagnosis is still taking its till on you. As Rob has suggested definitely speak to your doctor about your anxiety, who may be able to help you. Have you contacted the Macmillan Cancer Support group? They are very good at providing support to patients and their families. I would also encourage you to try and avoid reading negative stories about other people's cancer experiences, it will only cause you to worry more, stress is something to avoid as much as possible. Breast cancer treatment is so much more advanced these days, research is continuing to provide breakthroughs in medications and approaches to treatment. More women are surviving than before. I believe that fear and worry can do a lot more harm than we think it does, focusing on positive things will help to give you strength to get through the remainder of your treatment.

I am really glad you have joined us here, there are many of us here who have been diagnosed with breast cancer, at varying stages of treatment and diagnosis. You will find a lot of support and understanding here. You can chat about anything, if you have any questions I am sure many others will also have some wisdom and insight to help you.

I hope you are able to find some rest and the anxiety quietens down soon,

Chat to you soon,

Lou x

• sarahscarsarahscar Posts: 3

Thanks for the reply.

I'm glad that you are doing well.My operation went well and i feel really strong. I am probably still in shock and it's early days. Everytime i have an appointment i get anxiety attacks. I just worry all time. I do have some good times.I just think that no one can reassure you that it will never come back.

I'm trying to be positive but it's hard x