Home Cancer Forum What's On Your Mind Today?

It’s Giving Tuesday! Received a smile from a stranger? Saw something encouraging? Let’s hear it all!

Blanka_CBlanka_C Posts: 320 Community Admin
edited December 2019 in What's On Your Mind Today?

Good afternoon everyone!

Today is World Giving Tuesday. It’s a day to support your local community, to help someone in need, to act kind and to give back simply by doing something good.

I was wondering if any of you is ‘celebrating’ today? Have you experienced something encouraging today so far, an unexpected smile from a stranger perhaps? I’d love to hear your stories!

Today I received a mysterious letter in the morning - I opened my door and I noticed a small leaflet on my porch. I grabbed it (still in my super comfy PJ and a steaming tea in one hand) and started smiling immediately - it said “Remember, you’re worth it. Hope you have an amazing day. #GivingTuesday”. The sun was also shining, it was such a beautiful moment! I could also see the same piece of paper on my neigbour’s porch, what a lovely gesture, it made my day. :)

I thought I’d also share how us at Live Better With are celebrating today. This year we are teaming up with Macmillan Cancer Support to help people find thoughtful gifts to send to loved ones living with cancer. If you opt to donate to Macmillan when purchasing your gift, we will match your donation. 💚

Here’s our lovely page, created specifically for today: https://cancer.livebetterwith.com/pages/macmillan-and-livebetterwith

I hope you’re all having a wonderful day and I can’t wait to hear your stories.💗

Blanka x

Comments

• RobertARobertA Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019

@Blanka_C

Hi Blanka

Love the special page. MacMillan mean an awful lot to me and I am delighted that they are working with LiveBetterWith who have also given me so much.

Got to be honest, I did not know that today is World Giving Tuesday. Fortunately, it has been a lovely sunny day and Mary and I went for a long walk along the seafront. Along the way, we spotted an elderly gent who was dizzy and stumbling. We guided him to a bench, bought him a cup of tea and sat with him for half an hour. He started chatting and by the time we parted, he was quite bright and confident and refused further help. Maybe it was fate that we came across him on this day but what a coincidence.

Rob x

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Blanka_C @RobertA

Hi Blanka, Rob,

I think both of your stories are lovely. I am also really glad to hear LBW is supporting Macmillan Cancer Support in this way. We talk about them often here in the community, so many have found their support invaluable.

I love looking for ways to be kind and giving to others, it brings a lot of joy to us. It is in a way a sad reflection that when others are on the receiving end of kindness or generosity they are so surprised as they don't expect it.

When I am out with the girls we have our radar on looking for opportunities, even if it is when we are buying coffee, buying the person next to us their coffee. No reason, just because. It is only a small gesture, but it is like they say, a smile or kind word or act can change someone's day.

Hope you all find kindness and thoughtfulness in your days today.

Lou x