Home Cancer Expert Q&A Hub Cancer Coffee Break

Christmas plans this year - share yours!

Comments

• RobertARobertA Posts: 1,200 mod

@Sunshinedaff @Brightstar @SueEvaM @Anneb @blankazsanna5

Happy Monday all.

Hi Sue, I do hope that you are out of hospital and feeling better. How disappointing that you had such a reaction to your first chemo and I hope that your next session is much easier.

Wow Lou, Part one of your decorations look amazing. Lovely to hear that it was a joint effort with the girls. Don't fancy your electricity bill.😯

Hi J, So kind and thoughtful as always. Is Jersey too far? We've never had decorations like yours. To be honest, Mary does all the decorations, but in mitigation, I am practising the Christmas carols on my piano. We are at friends on Christmas Day and I will have to drive so no drinking.😥

Hi Margy, I can't imagine having Christmas in the hot sunny weather. I hope your bushfires are all out now. Christmas will be so tough for those poor people who have lost their homes.

Rob x

• BrightstarBrightstar Posts: 259 ✭✭✭

@RobertA @Sunshinedaff @kar399 @SueEvaM

Hi Rob. The offer of help with the decorations was strictly a one off! to Sue 😂 Luckily Jersey is too far... Phew.

How lovely that you can play the piano. Now that would be a lovely site to see, everyone congregating around the piano and singing carols on Christmas day. That's what I would call a good old fashioned Christmas. I'm afraid the triangle is just about as far as my musical talent goes! 😂 😂

Hope you are out of the woods now Sue and hope you are now snuggled up at home. 😊

Hi Jayne. Hope you have started on your decorations and I look forward to seeing your pictures.

Waiting with anticipation to see your tree Lou. Hope the cats don't disturb it!

Peace and love to you all.

Love J xx

• kar399kar399 Posts: 19

Hi all,

After seeing all of your pics of your stunning decorations I will be embarrassed to post my pics. Luckily I am a bit of a technophobe so will need to wait for my husband to get home to download and post them for me. He has gone back to work today after having time off to take me to my radiotherapy, (he is classed as self employed and usually works away Mon - Fri) so at least I will be spared the ordeal of sharing until the weekend 😃😃

I have now finished my radiotherapy and will see my Consultant in early January. I feel fine at the moment, bit tired but I tend to just sleep in a bit in the mornings which seems to help. Other than that no real problems.

Will catch up soon xx

• SueEvaMSueEvaM Posts: 32 ✭✭

Hi to all you lovely people, still in hospital but the good news is my blood count is back to as normal as it can be, one more day of intravenous antibiotics and I should be able to come home! I can’t wait to get back to some kind of normality ( although I’m not sure I will ever feel ‘normal’ again), ready to start round two next week. I am going to try and make the best of this week to inject some Christmas Spirit into my family home just in case everything goes ‘pear shaped’ again!! At least I will be more prepared this time xxx

• AnnebAnneb Posts: 104 ✭✭✭

@Sunshinedaff

@RobertA

Hello lovely people.💖

Hope you are all well ing this conversation. Lovely to read about different Christmas tradition and food💖💖 i have my tree up. Will send photos when i get a minute.

No Rob , the fires are horrendous and will be with us untill summer is over . Most of the huge ones are out of control. I will send you a few things on FB.

I am now in the Magic 5 club and off Arimadex. So i am looking forward to not feeling so hot this summer 😂😂😂 will be so nice to not feel like i am burning up internally😁😁

Will send some pics soon

Margy 💖💖💖💖

• AnnebAnneb Posts: 104 ✭✭✭

@RobertA

@Sunshinedaff

The worst fire which is out of control has sofar burnt through 50,000 acres. They have advised it will most likely not be able to be contained and definately not be put out. Mass evacuations.

Love margy

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Sue,

So glad to hear you are improving and soon to go home, I hope when you read this you will be at home already!

I know, life does change after cancer turns up, we find ourselves having to adjust and make a new normal. It's not easy, really hard to process too. I hope you will soon be able to potter around preparing for Christmas. Definitely have a bag packed for next chemo in the event of something happening.

I look forward to hearing you have returned home!

Warm hugs🤗🤗

Lou x

@Anneb @RobertA

Hi Margy,

Wonderful to hear from you! We've been missing you here! 😉♥️.

It is horrendous to read and hear about the bush fires especially being so difficult to even bring under control. I know we ( me!!!) complain about our British weather here, but we don't have the extremes you have. I should shut up and quit moaning! Tell me off next time I do it!!

Wow! Off the meds, brilliant, that is a big change, good timing with summer too! Hope you will begin to notice a difference soon.

Glad to hear the tree is up, I still need to take a pic of ours, H&P helped me at the weekend 😉.

Hopefully chat to you later,

🤗🤗♥️😘

Lou xx

@SueEvaM @RobertA @Sunshinedaff @kar399

Ahh Sue sorry to hear you are still in hospital, but so glad you are on the mend and looking forward to injecting some Christmas spirit. Mind you don't overdo it though!.

John and I went to Winchester Christmas Market today. It was a beautiful dry day, not too cold but that lovely crisp wintery feeling in the air.

I have downloaded a couple of pics of the chestnuts, gluvine and Spanish donuts stalls which I thought were very beautiful and oldy worldy.

Was very excited to find The Ivy had sprung up there, so John and I had a lovely lunch in there. Very reasonably priced which surprised me and we had a lovely couple of hours in there. I wanted to make the most of it, as it was so beautiful inside and such a lovely atmosphere.

Starting to really get the Christmas feeling now, or that could just be the effect of the 3 glasses of prosecco I had! 😂 😂

Love J xx

@Brightstar

Hi J,

Ooh, I am going there tomorrow with H, I have always wanted to try the Ivy there, it does look nice! We are going up in the morning, having lunch too, but might be a toasted sandwich! Lol! Then back home in afternoon. We also plan to go up one weekend too.

Looks lovely, love your pics.

🤗🤗

Lou xx

@Sunshinedaff

Hi Lou. I well recommend going to The Ivy for lunch. It's only £16.95 for 2 courses. Even the drinks were reasonably priced. It's so christmassy inside. Go on treat yourself, you deserve it. You will love it.

There was a group not far from The Ivy busking, they were brilliant as well. They were singing a lot of The Eagles songs which is one of my favourite groups.

Get there early though. All the park and rides were full but luckily we just managed to get a space in our usual car park (Chesel). It's cheaper than the park and ride as well. If we had left it any later we would have had no chance of parking ( we got there just before 11.00).

Have a lovely day tomorrow. Xxxx

edited December 2019

@Sunshinedaff @Brightstar @Anneb @SueEvaM @kar399

Hi lovely people

It is really good to hear all about your Christmas plans and see your great photographs.

Hi Sue, I am so pleased to hear that your blood count is normal and that you are feeling better. Hope you will be home soon and looking forward to Christmas.

Oh Margy, so sorry to hear about the fires. It is so tragic that people have lost their homes and those poor animals! I do hope that your lovely new home is safe. At least it is good to hear that you are off your meds now.

Good to hear that your radiotherapy has finished Jayne and delighted to know that you are feeling well.

Hi J, I love the photos. They remind me of when I worked in York many years ago and there were chestnut sellers around the City Centre. Winchester sounds a lot like York - really good buskers and the magnificent Cathedral. Christmas always seems so special there. Love the Eagles - Tequila Sunrise is my favourite.🤣 It is the Prostate group Christmas party a week tomorrow and we are looking forward to some Christmas songs. I have probably posted this pic of us practicing before so if I have, apologies.

Haha Lou, enjoy your trip to Winchester and treat yourselves to The Ivy. You deserve it x

Rob x

Thanks lovely people for your best wishes, your fabulous photos are really inspiring and I will make a visit to a local restaurant for a pre Christmas lunch, it won’t quite be the Ivy, but after a week of hospital food it will feel like gourmet!!!! ( to be honest, the food in hospital hasn’t been to bad, shame I didn’t have much appetite), have a lovely week everyone,

Sue

• jacksprat_x1jacksprat_x1 Posts: 306 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

Lovely to see your preparations and plans for Christmas including the food from other countries and the gorgeous decorations. Lovely Christmas pictures from around the country. Your entrance hall looks lovely and welcoming Lou. Have a great time in Winchester and hope you get to have lunch at The Ivy. The photos of Winchester look great. Very festive.

I hope you soon get home from hospital Sue. I had many of those episodes during the first half of the year but they soon get it sorted. Y Chemo is finished now. The blinking thermometer was a part of daily life then 😂 I hope you can enjoy putting up your tree and decs soon.

Rob I loved the picture of you and your bandmates practicing for your MacMillan party next week. I’m sure it will go down a storm. I went to see Steeleye Span Monday night was great! Amazing that Maddy Prior is 72 years young now! Went to Folk Club last night.

So sorry to hear about the devastation in Australia Margy. Thinking of you. I hope you or your friends ir loved ones are not affected.

Hope you all enjoy your preparations in anticipation of the celebration of Christmas

love Jackie xx🙋‍♀️

🎄🎄🎄🎅

@jacksprat_x1

Hi Jackie

Great to hear from you and how fantastic to see Steeleye Span. I didn’t realise that Maddy Prior is still with the band. I bet you have your own versions of ‘Gaudete’ and ‘All Around my Hat’.

You did have some tough times didn’t you Jackie, but you got through it and it is great to know that you are all clear and looking forward to Christmas with all your family. So encouraging for others too.

Rob x

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 686 mod

@Brightstar @SueEvaM @RobertA @jacksprat_x1 @Anneb @Lesley @kar399

Good evening lovely friends and brilliant ones!😁

Well we had a fabulous time in Winchester, so good we were an hour leaving and I had to message P to say we'd be late to fetch her! lol.

Didn't make it to the Ivy for lunch though J as it would have been too difficult with H and her food requirements at the moment. However, we are going back on Saturday with Mark and P and we will go for coffee there in the afternoon. Looking forward to seeing the Christmas market, sampling the mulled wine and watching the others go ice skating.

We forgot to take pics too today, so will remember for Saturday! 😁

Lou xx

@Sunshinedaff @RobertA @kar399 @SueEvaM

Hi everyone.

Glad you had a lovely day Lou at Winchester. Shame you didn't get to the Ivy. If you do go back at the weekend you could just have a cream tea. It's only about £7. I should imagine it will be very busy though at the weekend.

I was tempted to have a go at the ice skating myself. I used to go every Sunday when I was a teenager. I haven't skated since then, and John said with my now dodgy hip and knee, it probably wasn't a good idea! 😂 I probably would not even be able to stand up on skates now! It would have been nice to have a go though and pretend I was that young, carefree girl again! Where did the time go?

Loved your picture Rob of you and your pals practising. I wish I could hear you all play. Perhaps you should get someone to record it on their phone. You could then download it. Who knows, I could put you forward for the next Britain's Got Talent! 😊

I could not possibly decide on my favourite Eagles song, as I love all their stuff. Big fan of Pink Floyd as well as Bon Jovi. On the other end of the scale you will quite often catch me listening to Mozart! I also love native american chant music as well. My music collection is very random depending on what mood I am in.

Saw my breast nurse today who informed me my op won't be until February now. So I now have even longer to wait. One of my surgeons is going to be on holiday for the whole of January, which is why the longer wait. Its really worrying though, as that will be 5 months since I was originally diagnosed. I was offered a different hospital, but there is no guarantee I would have my op any quicker and its further away as well. I will be an alcoholic by February, as my nerves can't take much more!

Can't wait to see further Christmas pics.

Love to you all. J xx

edited December 2019

@Brightstar @Sunshinedaff @kar399 @SueEvaM @jacksprat_x1 @Anneb

Hi lovely friends

Oh Lou, so pleased you had a nice time in Winchester. It sounds like a great place to visit, especially at Christmas. We always have nice decorations in Jersey, but we don't have a Christmas Market though we do have ice skating.

Hi J, So sorry to hear that you will have to wait so long for your op. That must be really tough for you and also for John.

Haha, I am with Lou - watching people ice skating is enough for me. I like your tastes in music and I also love Opera. I have a huge collection and I have my own room where I go and listen with my headphones on whilst Mary is watching East Enders and Coronation Street. Perhaps that is why I have hearing aids📣 😂Have you heard of a group called "Talon"? they play Eagles music and they are incredible. I have seen them four times now. Jackie @jacksprat_x1 introduced me to several great singers I had not heard before and one of them, Beth Hart is now one of my favourites. Thanks Jackie.

Rob xx

@RobertA @kar399 @SueEvaM @Sunshinedaff

Hi Rob. Never heard of Talon. I will have to check them out.

The only opera music I have is from Madam Butterfly. I have seen it a few times now, and it always moves me to tears. The best version was on Brownsea Island over the other side of Sandbanks. It was open air and was amazing.

I love going to the theatre and try to normally go about 3 times a year. But haven't been at all this year. Phantom Of The Opera is still my favourite and I adore the music in that. Cats was the one I didn't like. I walked out in the interval. Blood brothers was great as well. Saw Dr Doolittle one year with Philip Schofield as the doctor. The animation in it was brilliant. I could not get over how thin Philip Schofield was. He has a very tiny frame. The last one I saw was Mary Poppins. The special effects were very clever, I loved it.

Hope you are now making a speedy recovery Sue.

Hope you are now getting a bit more energy Jayne now your radiotherapy as come to the end.

When are we going to see your pictures of your tree Lou? Been waiting in anticipation for it! 🤣

All you lovely people have a lovely evening.

Love J x

Good evening one and all 😄

Finally a few snaps of our tree!! 😄.

Not colour-coordinated, anything goes! Lol! Some are almost 40 years old, others a month! Homemade, shop bought, made by the girls at Brownies, gifts from friends. They all go on there, plus of course the chocolate decorations, always a necessity! 😄

Lou xx

Very festive and packed with decorations like mine!

Love it 👍😘

@RobertA @Sunshine53 @Brightstar @Sue @kar399

Hi Rob, I have heard of Talon, Eagles Tribute Band? Would like to see them. Just been watching ELO on BBC every track is a winner. Looked like everyone was having a great time dancing and singing when they played Wembley this year. Glad you like Beth Hart Rob, we have seen her twice in Cambridge and Ipswich. I love Chocolate Jesus and have sung this on stage. Written by Tom Waits. Hope you keeping ok Rob. X

Dear J, so sorry to hear your operation has been put off till next year. It must be very worrying for you. Hope you keep positive.

I’m going to post a picture of my tree which I finished today. X

Dear Lou, so pleased you had a good time in Winchester, it looks amazing from the pictures. So does your fantastic tree! It must take ages to do! I love that all the decorations are collected over the years and mean a lot to you. By the way thanks for remembering it is Norman’s birthday on Christmas day. 61 this time. You remembered that we had to cancel his planned 60th party due to my emergency operation last year. I did offer him a party this year but he turned it down so I treated him to a night in a hotel, a lovely meal and tickets for us to see The Blues Band, with Paul Jones, who was fantastic! We could not believe that he is 78 years young! It was great to be out doing lovely things together again! Have you finished xmas decs now? Just finished mine today! X

Dear J, I remember seeing Phillip Schofield in Joseph and the Technicolour Dreamcoat and he was small. We took my children also when Jason Donovan played the role. I love the theatre too.

Hope you all have a great weekend and look forward to seeing your messages soon. Love Jackie 🙋‍♀️Xxx

edited December 2019

@jacksprat_x1 @Brightstar @kar399 @SueEvaM @Sunshinedaff @Anneb

Hi Lou

How wonderful to have such a variety of decorations. I bet quite a few of them hold special memories. It all looks really great.

Hi J

Yes, Madame Butterfly is lovely and the music is great. I particularly like the ‘Humming Chorus’. I also love ‘Carmen’ which is very colourful and the music is brilliant. Like so many Operas it is also tragic. I love the music from ‘Phantom of the Opera’ though I haven’t seen it at the theatre yet.

Hi Jackie

Love your tree and the decorations and lights at the front door are lovely.

Yes, ‘Talon’ are a tribute band, but they are so polished and talented and well worth seeing. I love ELO too and I think that Jeff Lynne is a great songwriter. I have bought myself an early Christmas present of a record player which can convert music from my records to MP3 or into a memory stick. I have a large record collection and my first conversion is going to be ‘Out Of The Blue’.

Nice to hear that Paul Jones is still treading the boards. Your hotel stopover sounds wonderful and it is great to know that Norman and yourself are able to enjoy lovely treats together again.

This is a lovely thread and we still have quite a way to go before Christmas.

Rob xx

Hi Jackie, Rob, Lou, J, Margy, and all the other lovely “posters” on this thread, well I finally feel well enough to get out the tree and decorations, really enjoyed listening to Michael Buble while hanging up the baubles! I might even have a small glass of wine tonight! I have decided to shave my remaining hair off tonight as the pain from my scalp was killing me, bit if a shock but at least I don’t feel as if I am eating it as it drops out all over the place (also I won’t have as much vacuuming to do !!).

Love and seasons greetings to all,

Sue xx

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 686 mod

@RobertA , @Brightstar @Anneb @Lesley @jacksprat_x1 @kar399

Good evening everyone! I hope you are all having a peaceful evening, or morning, depending on where you are! 😃

Jackie (@jacksprat_x1 ), Sue (@SueEvaM ), love your trees and decorations! The lights look brilliant too on your tress and the ones outside! I love outside lights, we actually drive around near where we live to see if we can find them to look at around the neighbourhood. lol. 😃.

Sue I am sorry to hear your head has been really painful, I do understand that as do many here I am sure. I don't blame you shaving the rest off, I found that helped me a lot and the pain did subside. Enjoy your glass of wine, you deserve it!

I have loved reading these chats about music and bands too, some of my favourites mentioned too! Don't we all have good taste! Haha!😄

Jackie, I am so pleased you and Norm have been able to begin to enjoy doing lovely things again together, this time last year you were in a very different place, how great to be in a better place now.🤗

I love this Christmas thread, today, I began to decorate some cakes with fruits and nuts, managed to get two done this afternoon. Hopefully tomorrow I will begin some with marzipan and icing.

We visited Winchester again yesterday, going into the cathedral Christmas market. Unfortunately, the ice-skating wasn't possible as when we arrived at about 2.30 we were told the earliest slot would be at 8pm! haha, oh well, we ended up having a mooch round and having coffee. @GrannyMosh , Brenda, I expect the Christmas markets you have in Germany are lovely to see!

Looking forward to seeing more of everyone's Christmas preparations and celebrations,

Lou xx

Hi all you lovely people.

I have loved seeing everyone's trees and lights.

Jackie your tree is gorgeous and love the outside too. Wish I could decorate outside, but I live in an apartment, so that's not possible.

Sue, your tree is very pretty too. Glad you got round to being able to do it. Hope you had your glass of wine and enjoyed it so much, that you had another!

Sorry to hear about the pain in your scalp. I am afraid I don't really know anything about the side effects of chemo. I am burying my head in the sand at the moment, as I can't even go there. Its one step at a time for me, as that's the only way I can cope at the moment.

Shame about the ice skating Lou. Glad you still had a nice time though.

Rob you must see Phantom if you get the chance. You will absolutely love it. I have seen it twice and if it comes to Southampton again, I will probably see it for a third time. To be honest the first time we saw it, we were stuck right at the back and I had a post in the way. Hence the reason for seeing it again. The second time, one of the special effects went wrong, so maybe third time lucky!

Look forward to hear more from you all. Go easy on the mince pies! 😂

Love J xx

Hello everyone

Another lovely tree @SueEvaM Sue - even more so as you have been so poorly. Haha, Michael Bublé and wine is a great combination. Sorry to hear about your scalp pain and hair loss but brilliant that you are not letting it spoil your Christmas.

Yes J @Brightstar , I really must see Phantom and if it comes to Southampton, Mary and I will try to get over and see it. A good friend of mine is from Southampton and a couple of years ago we went to see their football team play Middlesbrough. It was just before Christmas and they had a great Christmas market and also a scary looking sleigh somehow wobbling along on a pulley in the sky. Santa was sitting in it confidently Ho Ho ing. I was impressed - rather him than me.

Hi Lou @LouiseJ. Yes, great to see all the trees and chat about music. I have been playing some Alison Kraus music and also an American singer called Jewel Kilcher who is not well known in the UK which is a pity.

Am off to the pub now. Its just round the corner so I don’t have to drive.

Rob x

Hi Rob. If I get to see that Phantom is coming back to The Mayflower, I will let you know. If it does, perhaps we could plan the same night and meet up beforehand for a drink. It would be lovely to meet you and Mary.

It would be lovely if we could all get together some time in the future. It would take some organising and trying to work out the most convenient place to meet up, but it would be lovely. Who knows? Perhaps one day! 😊

Love J xx

Hi Lovely People,

I love all the Christmas Decorations and Christmas chit chat on the messages. Brings you all closer doesn’t it?

Sue your tree is beautiful. Love your wallpaper too! 😉 I’m so sorry to hear that your head hurts as a side effect of the treatment. I was so fortunate that the chemo for bowel cancer that they gave me preserved my hair although I could not have it coloured for 9 months, just got it done ha! My daughter said “O Mum it takes years off you, despite saying all the way thru O it looks fine Mum” !!!! Haha. I used to feel a little guilty when I went to Chemo Suite and the ladies who had lost their hair were there. Silly I know but I did feel for them. Mind you I did get nerve damage in my fingers and toes, which is still there, but is better some days than others. I hope you enjoyed putting up your tree Sue, and your glass of wine. Love Michael Bub’le too. He has crooned me to sleep through the headphones in the early hours many a time!

Rob that Santa Sleigh wobbling along in the sky sounds a bit scary! You sure you hadn’t been in the pub that night? 😛 I hope you enjoyed your recent trip to the pub. Love Alison Krause, also with Dan Kaminski O Brother Where art thou? Will look up Jewel Kilcher.

Hi J, thanks for your compliments on the tree and lights. Hopefully you will see The Phantom for a third time. I must add it to my list!

Hi Lou, sorry you didn’t get to ice skate, sounds like a lucky escape to me! Haha. I’ve never been great at co-ordination me, and am even worse since chemo, spacial awareness a bit out of kilter! If I’m walking along the prom and it’s just us two and we have loads of room I’m still going to cross into your lane! At least I have an excuse now Haha 😜

Night everyone have a good restful night all.

love Jackie 🙋‍♀️ X

Good afternoon lovely friends.

Was thinking of you all, J, definitely meeting up is a fab idea. Sooner than you think maybe! 😄. Rob, Hannah was searching flights to Jersey yesterday, she didn't think I'd do well on a ferry in winter! Hahaha 😂, lol, she's right! 10 minutes from Bmth airport, but the most expensive, Southampton cheaper... just need the right time now!!

Jackie, love Alison Krause too, amazing. Led me to thinking about favourite Christmas music... what is everyone's??

Two of mine are The Pogues with Kirsty McColl, Fairy tale of New York, and yes.... Wham Last Christmas..😄😄

Also, here is one of my cakes decorated with fruits and nuts..

More to follow...

Lou x