Homeβ€Ί Cancer Expert Q&A Hubβ€Ί Cancer Coffee Break

Christmas plans this year - share yours!

Blanka_CBlanka_C Posts: 365 Community Admin
edited November 2019 in Cancer Coffee Break

Hello everyone,

The festive season is fast approaching! I was wondering how many of you are looking forward to it, or have any exciting plans ahead?

I'll start - my family is actually coming to visit me this year. This is a very big deal for me as I only get to see them twice a year (they live abroad). This is also going to be the very first Christmas I'll be "hosting"! My mum and I are planning to cook some traditional Hungarian food, which is always something to look forward to. πŸ€—πŸŽ„

Hope you hear from you soon,

Blanka x

Β«13

Comments

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Blanka_C

Hi Blanka,

Christmas!! I absolutely love everything about Christmas. The tree will go up next week, immediately after Thanksgiving, in fact I am having a little competition with a friend (@Anneb πŸ˜‚), to see who gets their decs up first. Of course my lovely friend has an advantage living in Australia, with her days starting before ours! Haha!

Our Christmas's are usually small, just the family and my husband's brothers visiting, I think it will be the same this year. Things will be different due to other stuff going on, but hopefully it will work.

I am doing lots of baking, and have a ton of Christmas cakes to decorate, which I will need to start very soon in order to complete them all in time!

I think it is lovely to hear of your plans, that is exciting, hosting Christmas for your family for the first time. What does a traditional Hungarian Christmas look like, involve?

I will post some cake pics as I do them, if they turn out ok! Haha!

Lou x

• RobertARobertA Posts: 1,194 mod

@Sunshinedaff @Blanka_C

Hi Lou and Blanka

Oh Blanka, that sounds wonderful. You must be really looking forward to your family coming over. You will have to tell us what food you have for Christmas in Hungary.

Hi Lou

Your Christmas sounds amazing too. I know all about your baking and I can imagine that your Christmas tree will look fantastic. Do you buy a real tree?

Mary and I have no family here in Jersey. My youngest sister and her husband usually come over and we all book into a hotel overlooking the beach but my brother in law is not too well and they are not coming this year. As it happens, we have been invited to friends for Christmas. They have a teenage daughter who plays the violin so there will be music🎻🎼🎹. Unfortunately, I will have to drive so I will not be drinking, and I am allergic to seafood and poultry, so I will be having spam. I will send you a pic Lou 🀣🀣🀣☹️.

Rob x

• Blanka_CBlanka_C Posts: 365 Community Admin

@Sunshinedaff @RobertA

Hi Lou and Rob,

It’s so lovely to hear about your plans. Lou - I’d love to see pics of those famous Christmas cakes! Maybe you could share some of your favourite recipes too?

Actually a Hungarian Christmas is pretty much the same as here in England - I think the only difference is that we decorate our tree on the 24th (I’ll be having a mini-tree in the office, though, and will take some photos to share!).

Oh and the food...here’s what my lovely grandmother made a couple of years ago:

Plum soup with bacon

Pancake filled with beef

And some traditional apple pie!

Blanka x

@Blanka_C @Sunshinedaff

Oooh that beef pancake AND apple pie. πŸ˜‹πŸ˜‹

Rob x

@Blanka_C @RobertA

Ohh Blanka, Plum and Bacon soup, that is interesting, I see lemon in there too? What is the stock made with?

I will post some pics when they are done, I got them out today, and found I have made 21! I haven't been counting them, haha! oops! 😁. I tried a new recipe this year for some of them, an Orange Spice with Cointreau, and the others are traditional (rum and brandy), and a chocolate fruit cake recipe too which is one of my favourites. Made with prunes and Tia Maria! I haven't tasted the Orange Spice one yet, I will have to get one of each sort out, have a tasting session pre-decorating! I will let you know how they fared!

I don't think I could wait until the 24th to put a tree up, although I do remember as a child my parents were usually quite late in getting the tree, a real one, each year. Then the nightmare began of finding out lights didn't work anymore etc!! Haha..πŸ˜€.another good reason to put the tree up in November!! Gives time to fix anything!πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Rob, we don't get a real tree, I have an artificial one, which stands about 6ft tall. Very realisitic especially when I put the xmas tree scent oil on it, then it smells like a real one! lol! We had to replace it a few years ago after the cats had had one too many runs up and down and around it one year, broke the branches! I managed to get a new one a few days after Christmas at a garden centre for less than half price. I usually but crackers then too, unless they are reduced earlier. Cor, that was a long answer to 'do I have a real tree'!!πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

I will post a picture of it when it is in place!

HahahahahaπŸ˜‚ SpamπŸ˜‚. Noooo, offer to buy the beef, that's what we will have! I used to love spam, especially spam fritters at school! mmm...yum, yum! Mind you I haven't had it since then, so not sure I would still like it...lolπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚.

Hope you are both having a good afternoon,

Chat soon,

Lou x

• SueEvaMSueEvaM Posts: 32 ✭✭

I love Christmas and will miss not being at school with my class of little 4-5 year olds trimming up the classroom, getting glitter and glue everywhere and practicing for the nativity play, so I think I will busy myself and get the tree out early this year, usually I am last lap, having been exhausted from school but at least I can sit on the sofa and tell my hubby what needs doing this year. I have had to be super organised this year and have written cards and wrapped all my gifts well before I usually have, but that has helped me feel better. Just got menu’s and food shopping to organise now. I can’t believe how quickly the time goes when you are making Hospital visits and having appointments, it really does make one wonder how one manages to find time for work!!!

Sue

@SueEvaM

Hi Sue,

It is a huge change for you this year, especially in this Autumn Term. I do remember also those days in school leading up to Christmas. I used to work in a small village school and had to stop when I was diagnosed. This time of year was usually very, very busy with hardly time to turn around! πŸ˜„

I think spending time preparing for Christmas now is a great idea, I think for me wanting to be ready before 2 am Christmas Eve is something to aim for! πŸ˜‚ I am a lot better now to be honest, but still end up feeling like I am chasing my tail like a mad cat! Hahaha πŸ˜‚.

The time does go very quickly when you are too-ing and fro-ing frequently to appointments etc.

It is lovely that you love Christmas and I am sure you take a lot of the joy of the season with you wherever you go.

Would love to see your tree when it is done!

Take care,

Lou x

I will try and post a photo when it’s up! πŸŒ²πŸŽ„

Good morning! πŸ˜„

Here's a couple of pics of Christmas lights from Wimborne, Dorset.

I was there with my daughters yesterday afternoon. I think they are really pretty. White lights this year. Obviously they look better in real life than in the photo! Lol!

Lou x

@Sunshinedaff @SueEvaM @Blanka_C @Brightstar

Hi Sue

I am sure you will miss the children this year, but at least you can relax and have your hubby do the legwork. You must be super organised to have sorted your cards and gifts already. I really must get on with mine as most of my family live in the USA. 🀭 I am looking forward to seeing your photograph.

Hi Lou

What great photographs. The tree looks huge and quite spectacular with the great sky effect.

Hi J

I have attached a pic of the Royal Yacht where we had a few glasses🍷🍷 on Saturday night. They have lovely outside areas with heaters which is rather good.

Absolutely beautiful!πŸŽ„, can’t promise my decorations will be as impressive, but hey ho, a little sparkle cheers me up ✨🌟

Here it is

• betsy_9betsy_9 Posts: 23 ✭✭

So lovely to see your photos! 🀩 Here's some pics my mother sent me of her office this morning (she decorated the whole space by herself!)

I also can't wait to see your Christmas trees πŸŽ„, in fact, we should have a thread for trees only!!

Hope you're having a peaceful day, Z xx

• BrightstarBrightstar Posts: 259 ✭✭✭

@RobertA @Sunshinedaff @kar399 @SueEvaM @blankazsanna5

Hi All. Lovely to see the Wimborne lights and tree Lou. The tree looks really wonderful.

Loved your pictures Rob. What a wonderful place to go for a drink!

Your mum's decorations look lovely Z. Love the tree!

Just finished my tree and garland. I did well this year, as it only took me 4 hours.

Hope you like the photo's. I went through 15 cans of snow spray!πŸ˜‚

Love to you all. J xx

Wow, that’s a lot of snow spray, but it looks fabulous, so beautiful and “Winter Wonderland”. You must have a lot of patience and be very creative!! I can’t wait to get my decorations down from the loft - my weekend job πŸŽ„xxx

I don't have the patience I used to have that's for sure!

I am very creative though. I also do a lot of upcycling, which I enjoy. Not a wasteful person at all. Before I get rid of anything, I always think what else can I do with it!

I think it's a shame that we seem to be such a throw away society now. There is too much waste in this world.

Look forward to seeing your tree soon Sue.

Love J x

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 686 mod

@Brightstar

Hi J,

Wow! Your tree looks stunning! Beautiful and elegant πŸ˜„.

Ours is up, but not decorated yet..lol! The lights were put on last night. The front porch is decorated, and I have the lights out in the garden charging up by the sunlight, we have a Christmas tree planted outside, so those lights will be put around that. I love Christmas lights, really enjoy seeing what everyone does with lighting up their houses.

Hope you are having a good day today,

πŸ€—πŸ€—

Lou x

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 686 mod

Hi Blanka,

I love your mum's decoration of her office, it looks very pretty and festive.

Lou x

@Brightstar @SueEvaM @blankazsanna5 @kar399

Good evening all

What wonderful pics.

Hi Z. Your Mum is really talented. It must be really great working in her office with such lovely decorations around.

Haha J. I don't call 4 hours having no patience but it was certainly time well spent. The tree is gorgeous and Pingo is still on his feetπŸ˜‚

hey Lou, I love the idea of putting lights up in the garden.😎 Will you be getting your barbie out?

This is a brilliant thread and it is lovely to see everyone looking forward to Christmas.

Our tree is still in the loft. Must tell Mary to get on with it. Hmm, maybe not πŸ₯Š

Rob xx

• AnnebAnneb Posts: 100 ✭✭✭

Evening everyone.

I have to own up....you beat me Lou. Even though i am ahead of you in time

😁😁😁😁😁

@RobertA @kar399 @Sunshinedaff @SueEvaM

Hi All

Went into my Town Centre today and saw this beautiful stag decoration. It's even more impressive in the flesh.

Lots of bargains around this weekend. Hope you have all managed to grab one. 😊

Love J xx

How beautiful is that!! Very impressive, unfortunately I have spent the last 3 days in hospital so haven’t been able to put up my decorations yet, my first round of chemo has completely wiped out my white blood cells and left me open to infection. Just had a chest X-ray so hopefully it will be better news tomorrow. I knew from all you wonderful peoples comments that chemo was not going to be easy but I never imagined it would all happen in the first week!! Blessings to everyone as we go forward into December xxx

@SueEvaM

Hi Sue,

I am so sorry to hear you have had such a hard reaction to the chemo. I hope the x-ray results bring good news and that your blood count picks up again very soon. My sister has also had a bad reaction to chemo, she was in hospital for similar reasons to you. It is really tough, I know that you will be resting, so won't say do that!

Just sending you huge hugs and thinking of you, hopefully soon you will be back home and you can get the decorations up, or instruct others to do it while you rest!

πŸ€—πŸ€—

Lou xx

Thanks Lou, it is frustrating but hopefully it will be better soon, thank you for your best wishes xx

@SueEvaM

Hi Sue. How awful that you should end up in hospital after your first round of chemo.

I am so sorry and hope that they can make some adjustments, so that your next lot does not effect you in such an extreme way.

Hope you get out of hospital soon. Don't overdo it when you do go home though. I'm sure the decorations can wait.

I don't know where you live Sue, but if it's near Bournemouth, I would only be too happy to come and do your decorations for you. 😊

Sending you a massive πŸ€—

Will be thinking of you.

Love J xx

Thanks J, unfortunately I can’t be much further away (Sheffield lol), but it’s the thought that counts. Xxx

πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ Yes that is a bit too far.

I used to work at Hope Valley when I was in my late teens. Sheffield was where I would go on my days off.

I have been to Meadowhall many times when my mum was alive. That was before Manchester had the Trafford Centre. Once that opened that was it, as it was so much bigger.

There used to be an amazing pub in Sheffield town centre, that looked like you were outside when you walked in. Can't remember the name and it's probably well gone now. Everyone used to talk about it! There were flag stones on the floor and you could see stars in the sky. It was my favourite place to go, can't believe I can't remember the name of it!

Hope you are feeling a bit better today.

Love J xx

@Brightstar @Anneb @RobertA @SueEvaM @kar399 @Sue17

Good evening all πŸ˜„,

Here is Part one Christmas decorations...our front porch as done by my eldest!

Tree is finally up, a joint family effort today. More lights up than usual, it looks a bit like Blackpool illuminations!! Lol!! But the girls love it, that's what counts! Will post tree pics tomorrow! Haha! πŸ˜„

Lou xx

Hi Lou, what a warm welcome visitors will receive at yours this year. It looks so cosy, your little helper has done a grand job there. I particularly like the lit pine cone vase arrangement, beautiful and natural. I can’t wait to see the tree!

Hi Lou, so cosy and inviting. She has done a lovely job. Can't wait to see your tree. Xx