Home Cancer Expert Q&A Hub Coping With Treatments & Side Effects

Hi - just diagnosed

Hi all!

Glad I found this website!

I'm 28, love reading, weaving and gaming and I was diagnosed with MDS (a bone marrow cancer) on the 25th of october and it is slowly starting to sink in. I'm on a watch-and-wait treatment. Any advice for getting through the first period?

Comments

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Viruna

It is lovely to 'meet' you, welcome to the community. I am very sorry to hear of your very recent diagnosis, I understand how much of a shock this will be for you. It does take a while to 'sink in' as you say, to be honest it may take a long time to process it all. Being diagnosed with cancer is a massive deal and a huge shock, you may have already had a ton of tests and other investigative treatments before diagnosis. All the waiting and the 'unknowns' can cause so much anxiety, fear and stress. If you are on a 'watch and wait' does that mean no action is being taken at the present time, as in no treatment etc to be carried out?

I am not very familiar with this type of cancer, but I am sure someone else here in the community will have some insight or experience of it.

You will find everyone here very supportive and understanding, there are many here, with various cancers at different stages of treatment and recovery etc. The community is a great place where you can come and chat about anything on your mind.

I see you are 28, you may find that @Shine could be very helpful for you too. They support young people especially, going through cancer and have a variety of resources available.

It is lovely to hear about your interests too, do you have a favourite genre of book? I love reading too, just finished a thriller tonight. What do you weave? We also have a category called Cancer Coffee break where you can chat about anything that isn't cancer related. We do have some laughs and fun with each other often.

Please don't hesitate to come and chat anytime, I look forward to chatting with you soon,

Lou x

• RobertARobertA Posts: 1,175 mod
    edited November 2019

@Viruna

I am so sorry to hear of your diagnosis. 

Receiving a diagnosis of cancer is usually a very emotional and sometimes lonely experience. My wife and I kept my cancer quiet for a time, but then decided to open up to friends and family from whom we have received great support. Even so, I felt that I needed to chat with people who are actually living with cancer and like you, I found LBWC.

It is full of courageous, caring and funny people, new friends who don’t mind when you are having a bad day and who celebrate the good ones with you. There may even be some people in the community who are familiar with your cancer type and who will be able to chat about it with you. You are most welcome and I hope you will keep in touch.

Rob x

• VirunaViruna Posts: 9
    edited November 2019

Thanks for the welcome! I am familiar with Shine :). Watch and wait means that, since my cancer is mild and probably slow growing they will monitor it and treat it when needed. So that mostly means a lot of insecurety and hoping for it to remain as it is. As for books, I love non-fiction, related to anatomy, geology, psychology and paleontology. What about you?

Thanks for the welcome! I totally know what you mean. Talking to people who are going through something similar is just very different than talking to good friends, even though you need both :).

• ShineShine Posts: 6 Young Cancer Expert

Hi @Viruna (and thanks @Sunshinedaff for the shout out.)

Glad you're already aware of us so just wanted to add a comment to say feel free to message us if you've any questions about what we offer.

I know watch and wait can be a really tough place to be, talking to others who are in similar situations can really help and, when all else fails, we love a good distraction therapy! Sounds like you've got a few hobbies to keep you busy.

Take care and all the best xx

@Viruna

I am glad you are already familiar with Shine, it is great that there are groups like these available, there is such a greater awareness now that people may at some point need more support than their Dr's help.

I love reading a variety of genres and themes, both fiction and non-fiction. The next book on my list is Becoming the Supervet, Listening to the Animals by Noel Fitzpatrick. A friend has loaned it to me, I like watching his programmes, although I usually end up crying!

I hope you are having a good day, I have been baking again, more Christmas baking. I find it a good distraction, and really enjoy it too.

Chat soon,

Lou xx

Sounds like a nice book, I hope you enjoy it!

Every excuse is good for baking, but the holidays especially so ^^.

What are you making?

@Viruna

Christmas cakes, I bake several, and give some away as gifts. I might also be able to sell a few (trying to get my cake business started again). Today I made three orange spiced ones with Cointreau and brandy using a new recipe I found. Tomorrow, I will bake more using my traditional recipe, then I also make some using Nigella's Chocolate Christmas cake recipe, which is one of my favourites.

At the weekend I made some sticky gingerbread cake, which is yummy!

Now though I need to go and prepare dinner, before time gets away from me! Haha.

Chat soon,

Lou xx

@Viruna @Sunshinedaff

Oh Lou

You know how much I love cake. I have put a few pounds on just reading your post.

Sticky ginger cake.Orange spiced christmas cake with cointreau and brandy!! I want one/or two and you can sell them to me, pleeese. I have had all my fillings done so it should be OK.

Rob xx

@RobertA

😂😂😂😂😂

You've had all your fillings done??!!😂 You'll need new ones after eating all these ones!! 😂😂😂Lol.

Will see what I can do!! 😉

Lou xxx

@Sunshinedaff

Those all sound sooooo good!!

@Sunshinedaff @Viruna

I recently attended a ‘Hope’ course at MacMillan which was spread over 6 weekly sessions. At the last session, three cakes were brought in. Lemon drizzle, apple cake and bakewell. I had a piece of all of them. 😋 Yum.

Rob x

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 678 mod

@RobertA @Viruna

They all sound delightful Rob, was the apple cake like our Dorset Apple cake? Have you heard of that? it is delicious! I have yet to try and make one though😁

Lou x

@LouiseJ @Viruna

Hi Lou

Just googled Dorset Apple cake. Yes, it looks like it - it was delicious 😋

Rob x

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 678 mod

😂😋