Home Cancer Forum Living Better With Cancer

New..im new to this group, i dont know what to do

Hello everyone,

Ive just come accross this site and like to know more about it i.e getting involved and finding answers etc.

I first got diagnosed just after my late husband passed with acute myoloid lukemeia (please excuse the spelling)! that was in 2005, i had 8 rounds of chemo split into 4 rounds followed by a break followed by mastectomy then more chemo and radiotherepy then i had 5 years of tamoxofen.

2016 i had my 1st ever seizure rushed into hospital and numourous tests later i wad diagnosed with terminal metastatic breast cancer and given a prognosis of weeks maybe months to live. Im undergoing palliative chemo and im still living the nightmare of it all...any help on this is much appreciated thank you.

Shirley

Comments

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Madcatz27

Hello Shirley,

Welcome to our community, you are very welcome here, I am glad you found us, but am very sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I am sure it must have been an horrendous thing to go through on top of the loss of your husband.

I hope you have other family and friends around you who are able to support you too, although I do understand it is still very hard even with that support.

You will find a lot of support and understanding here from other members. Everyone is very friendly and always ready to chat. We do chat about anything, not just cancer-related topics. Please feel free to join in with any discussion you like. There are different categories with a variety of discussions and threads, there is a lot of really helpful information that others have shared from their own experiences.

The community has just celebrated its first year since starting, and even if others have a different cancer, there are many similarities shared through treatments, side-effects, emotional and mental health issues, that you will find someone else 'gets' what you are going through.

If you have any questions in particular, or just want to have a friendly chat, please don't hesitate to shout out. 😁

I hope to chat with you soon,

Lou x

• RobertARobertA Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Madcatz27

Good evening Shirley

I am so sorry to hear of your diagnosis. Coping with everything you have had to deal with following the loss of your husband must be incredibly difficult for you. I do hope that you have family and friends around you and I am pleased that you have found out community. As Lou said, there are a lot of lovely people here who love to chat and share their experiences.

We are always here for each other and I hope that you will keep in touch.

Rob x

• Madcatz27Madcatz27 Posts: 4

Thank you so much it really means a lot to me. I found this group by accident so i have a lot of learning and getting used to.it all.

Sadly i do not have any family, they have all passed now, i have one or two cousins but we are not close. I am stunned that this cancer has come back and trying to cope with this new debilitating disease i.e. mobility scooter and unable to drive because of brain tumours is something else. I will navigate around this site, thank you x

@Madcatz27

Good evening Shirley

Well, you certainly have friends here and do hope that you will keep posting and let us know how you are getting on.

It is a pity that you are unable to drive, though I must admit, I don’t enjoy driving as much as I used to. So much traffic and parking is always a problem. I wonder if you can use your mobility scooter to get to the shops or take trip to the park.

Speak soon.

Rob x

Hi Rob,

Knowing im among friends going through something similar is a great help but reading my latest letter from the hospital has dampened my spirits and today im on a low edge plus suffering chemo effects doesent help!. My driving licence beung taken away has not helped either, it was my lifeline and now i have to rely on others, which im not keen on. I do take my dog for a walk he is attached to my scooter (safely i may add)! But again we have had so much rain its difficult to get out. Im off for blood tests ready for chemo tomorrow.

Thank you Rob x

@Madcatz27

Hi Shirley

Sorry to hear that you are on a low edge. It isn’t surprising in the circumstances though.

So you have a dog. Perhaps you would like post a photograph of him on ‘Furry Friends’ in the ‘Cancer Coffee Break category. My Mum always had a dog and it was a great companion to her to have one in her later years after my Dad passed.

Hope your bloods were OK.

Rob x

Thank you Rob

I also hate days like this but i suppose its to be expected, you fight for so long and relapse is inevitable every now and then. I will check out the furry friends page, something else i have learned today...thank you for that

Shirley x