Home Cancer Forum Helping a Loved One Through Cancer

feel so lonely.

Hello everyone. I am the heartbroken Mum of a 28 year old who was diagnosed with Stage 4B adenocarcinoma of the thymus in August. he has just had his 2nd chemo session and is so poorly. he has a 2 year old son who is the light of my life. he has accepted the prognosis but I just cant and feel like I am hanging on by a thread which makes me feel very selfish. I was a 24/7 carer for both my parents who have passed within the last 16 months. am tired of trying to "keep strong". thank you for reading. x

Comments

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 604 mod

@hobbitwebb

Hi,

I am so very sorry to hear about your son and your recent loss of your parents.

Your son is so young with a young family and it must be truly devastating for all of you. Chemotherapy is very hard to go through, I am sorry he has been so unwell through it.

Please don't think you are being selfish, you are not. The shock and pain of his diagnosis is unbearable for you his mum. As parents it is our worst nightmare, to witness our children, whether grown up or young, suffering with any disease or life-threatening illness.

The crushing anguish and heartbreak is very heavy to bear. I am sorry you feel so lonely in this too. I am so glad you found us here though. There are many others who are also helping or caring for a loved one with cancer. You will find a lot of support and understanding here. You are most welcome and I hope you will be able to find some space here where you can 'breathe' and not feel like you have to hold it all together all the time. You can chat about anything at all, we are all here for one another, through good days and bad days. Please don't hesitate to get in touch anytime.

If you are in the UK, would you feel able to make contact with the Macmillan Cancer Support nurses? They are there to support families as well as patients.

I also wonder if Shine Cancer Support @Shine may be of help or support to you and you son's family. They provide support and help for young people (20's- 40's).

Thinking of you all, hope to chat with you again,

Lou xx

• ShineShine Posts: 6 Young Cancer Expert

Hi @hobbitwebb,

I am really sorry to hear of your son's diagnosis and prognosis, it sounds as though you have been going through a really challenging time recently. Thank you to @LouiseJ for tagging us, as she said we do offer support for young adult's in their 20's, 30's and 40's. We also have a Facebook group for Plus Ones (for the friends, families and partners of those who have been diagnosed) the link is here:Shine Cancer Support Plus Ones - Closed Group, it is a really supportive community where people in your position are able to talk openly together. The link to our website is here: http://www.shinecancersupport.org/ where both you and your son can find online support in the form of blogs, podcasts, interviews, personal experiences, links to other organisations and links to local and national events. We have 14 networks across the country who meet regularly so hopefully your son will be able to find one near him so he can receive some face to face peer support. In addition, there are also 2 Facebook groups that he can join: Shine Young Adult Cancer Support (20s, 30s & 40s - Closed Group) and Shine Cancer Support Lifers - Closed Group. I hope this has helped a little but please don't hesitate to get in touch if you need to.

Rosie (Shine HQ)