Home Cancer Forum What's On Your Mind Today?

Genetic testing...

SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2015, I was offered genetic testing as cancer, and breast cancer had been very active in my family.

My concern was for my two daughters and for their future health and well-being.

I was tested for the BRCA1/2 gene, which thankfully came back as negative. Wonderful you may think but at the time I still had thoughts that there must be something in our genetic makeup for breast cancer especially to have such a stronghold in my family line.

We were told at the time, that there were other genes but they were not tested, so BRCA1/2 are the only ones looked for. The advice given was for my daughters to seek screening from the age of 30.

Unfortunately, recently, we found out that my other sister ( eldest died from breast cancer), has herself been diagnosed with breast cancer. That makes all three daughters diagnosed with it! As well as other relatives. It has to be genetic. But it isn't the only cancer in the family, parents both died of cancer too.

My sister will undergo genetic testing, but as I came back negative for the BRCA1/2 gene, she should too.

At my recent check up, I told my consultant about my sister, reminded him of family history and all of the above. He did say that the research/ medical people are beginning to look at testing other genes and hopefully by the time my daughters reach 30, testing for these other genes will be more routine.

I can hardly believe my sister now has to go through basically the same process and treatments as I did, and at the same time of year, which is ironic.

She is strong, positive, despite our history, we will fight with her to see the end of this cancer.

Sis, I don't know if you are on here yet, but everyone here is brilliant. You'll get through it. xx

Be interested to know if there are others here who's family have such a bad track record with cancer as we do?

Chat soon

Lou x

Comments

• RobertARobertA Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sunshinedaff

Hi Lou

Wow, cancer has really left its mark on you and your family. It must have been devastating for you and your surviving sister to find out that she now has breast cancer too. It seems unbelievable that it is just coincidence that your parents and three daughters should all have been diagnosed with cancer.

If your sister is anything like you, I know that she will fight this dreadful disease with courage and confidence and that she will beat it with your support and encouragement.

Hi sis, look forward to hearing from you. This really is a wonderful community full of lovely caring and supportive people. We are always here to chat, moan and laugh together and you are very welcome.

Rob x

• jacksprat_x1jacksprat_x1 Posts: 300 ✭✭✭✭

@Sunshinedaff

Hi Lou,

I am so sorry to hear about your sister’s diagnosis of breast cancer.

Naturally you must be devastated to hear this news, for your sister, and with your family history of this awful disease, for your two young daughters. I hope that the researchers/medical people will have the information that they need to genetically test for other genes by the time that your daughters are tested at 30. I can only imagine how you feel to have this unsettling news as you know how difficult it is going through this treatment yourself and also the other side of the spectrum, supporting family members who are going through this awful time. I am sure that you will be a great support to your sister and will have much knowledge and advice to pass on.

You have done so well to get where you are and if your sister is like you she will fight this and keep strong and positive.

If you need a private chat anytime just call me. I will send you my mobile no. If you need to message someone during the wee early hours please do.

Please take care of yourself and think positive as usual.

Love and best wishes to your family.

Love Jackie xxx 💖🙋‍♀️

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RobertA , @jacksprat_x1

Hi Rob, Jackie,

Lovely to hear from you both.

Thank you so much for your lovely responses.

It is so weird thinking how we have ended up this way, rather surreal really.

My sister, Sue, said she would be joining us here, I know she will receive brilliant support, even through just reading and hearing other's stories. We all know how it can be reassuring when we see others going through similar things. It takes away the feeling of 'it must just be me'.

Jackie, I hope you are continuing to recover from all you have been through, and you are getting stronger day by day. Have you made it back singing with the band yet?

Chat to you soon,

Lots of hugs to you both,

Lou xx

@Sunshinedaff @jacksprat_x1

Hi Lou

It is always lovely to welcome new people to our community, but it is also tinged with sadness to know that yet another person has been diagnosed with cancer. It is a daunting and challenging experience and I do hope that Sue will find our community a good place to come whenever she needs or wants a chat.

Hi Jackie

It is lovely to see you posting again and it will be great for you to getting back to making music too. I love music so much and it makes me happy.

I keep reading that advances in treatments of many cancers are progressing at a rapid pace and that more people are surviving cancer than ever before. Who knows what will be possible in ten years time and beyond when your children and grand children are growing older.

Rob xx

• jacksprat_x1jacksprat_x1 Posts: 300 ✭✭✭✭

@Sunshinedaff

@RobertA

Hi Lou and Rob,

Lovely to hear from you both too.

I am sure that your sister, Sue, will get a lot of help and comfort from the forum. Hopefully with the advances in research that are being done future generations will be screened early on.

I am still making a noise Rob !! I am going to sing All around my hat with Norman, Anne and Nigel tonight at Folk Club. Its so wonderful to be doing good things again. We are also doing some Irish Jigs too!

I have been to my Hope Course at MacMillan today. Met some lovely ladies, mainly breast cancer who are doing very well. No men on this course this time.

I had a new tyre fitted and went to hospital for an appointment to see Stoma nurse for a check up. All good. I’ve had a busy day so resting up tomorrow.

I hope you both have a good evening. Will catch up again soon.

Love Jackie 💖🙋‍♀️

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jacksprat_x1 , @Rob70

Hi Jackie,

I am so glad to hear you are back singing with the gang! I expect they are all thrilled to have you joining them again! Haha! I am now singing All Around My Hat too..😂😂... haha!

Lovely to hear you have met some fellow warriors at the Hope Course, I am sure there are still similarities in stories even with different cancers.

You have had a busy day, so enjoy resting up tomorrow, and have a great evening tonight!

🤗🤗

Lou xx

@jacksprat_x1 @Sunshinedaff

Good evening lovely friends,

Haha, I know All Around my Hat. What great fun, enjoy. Norman will be in his element with the the Bodhran - we could use him in our group! Do be careful with those Irish jigs though and don't be tempted to join in the dancing until you have fully recovered. Mary is pretty good with the Riverdance stuff for about ten minutes before she tires out. One of our guys is Irish as it happens and he has written a great song called ‘Going Home’. He has tasked me with writing and playing some backing music for it which I am doing and I am really excited about it.

I have also signed up for a Hope course which starts next week. It is a six week course and I am looking forward to it. What a pity that men do not seem to join in to these events. I am sure they would benefit. Ah well, I don't mind being the thorn amongst the roses.

Hey Lou, you will have to get your saxophone out - it is the saxophone isn't it?

Catch you both later.

Rob xx

Here we are

The group