Homeβ€Ί Cancer Forumβ€Ί What's On Your Mind Today?

Another anniversary comes around...

SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good morning to you all😊

Yesterday I had my annual appointment with the breast care team, which all went well. A conversation about a few things, but back again next year.

But also, yesterday's date marked 4 years to the day from when I had my first appointment with the consultant surgeon about what could possibly be the cause of my symptoms! Lol!!

And so, in these coming months I will be seeing so many other 'anniversaries' . I know there are many others, perhaps all of us who will forever remember dates, days etc. Thankfully, there are celebratory days in the mix, which are the ones to hold on to and focus on. These other 'anniversaries' although maybe never forgotten are to be thought of as moments in time, chapters of a book where we are able to turn the page and begin a new chapter. Or even start a new book!

A bit early for all this contemplating !!πŸ˜„.

Thinking of all of you in the midst of treatment, still enduring the days until you are through this.

Hoping you all have a peaceful day.

Chat soon.

Lou x

Comments

• RobertARobertA Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019

@Sunshinedaff

Hi Lou

Wow, four years which have changed your life forever, but I am delighted you are still here to help, support and encourage others who are facing life with cancer. So pleased your appointment went well.πŸ‘

I am coming up to three years now and I will never forget that day or the look on the consultant’s face as I sat down and waited for him to speak. I immediately knew it was not good news, though I had already suspected it given all of the scans, cameras needles and biopsies I had endured. After we left the meeting, Mary and I walked down the road hand in hand not speaking for several minutes, just getting our heads round the fact that I had cancer. Cancer, me!! There must be some mistake. Haha, it seems so long ago now, but we have jumped the hurdles and we are still here. Funny how you just get used to it, cope and carry on. I have three medical appointments next week and to me, they are just part of life as it is now and I appreciate the efforts of the medics and staff at the hospital/clinics who keep such a watchful eye on me.

The bonus is that I appreciate life more than ever and make the most of what it offers. Furthermore, I have met so many lovely, kind, courageous and caring people on my cancer journey and I think of them as friends I would never have otherwise met. Like Lou, I am also thinking of all of you who are going through treatments and tough times and wishing you all the best.

Haha Lou, am I contemplating or just rambling?πŸ€”

Rob x

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RobertA

Hi Rob,

Rambling?? Never!! πŸ˜€

I wholeheartedly agree with you about meeting others who may not have crossed our paths had we not faced cancer.

I have met and made friends with some lovely people, even since being here.

Although some friendships may have changed, new ones have arrived. Cancer cannot stop the joy of friendships, no matter how hard it tries to.

Next week on the 17th, is D Day anniversary! ( As in diagnosis day lol) πŸ˜€.

Lou xx

@Sunshinedaff

Morning Lou

Happy D Day. Haha, not sure it is a happy day but it does stick in the memory. Even mine🀣🀣.

Well, must get going. I’m off to the general surgery clinic for a chat - lucky the hospital is only a ten minute walk from home. That D Day certainly started something. Will you be celebrating Lou? A glass or two maybe.πŸ˜‰

Rob xx

@RobertA

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your msg!

Although it is a day that changed our lives forever, it is now a good day to look back on as I celebrate how we came through it. What could have been really bad, turned out well.

Yes, I expect a glass of wine later may be had!

I hope your appointment at clinic went ok today. Summer is still here, and today it is glorious! Need to enjoy it while it lasts!

Chat later,

Lou xx

@RobertA

Hi Rob,

As a p.s I meant to say, I am always willing and able to celebrate other people's good news too!πŸ˜„

After recently hearing of a friends fantastic news that their cancer treatment worked and there is no sign of cancer, it was definitely worth rejoicing over. A happy day!

I would shout it from the roof tops if it helped someone else not to give up hope. To hold on tight to the possibility of coming through and seeing the end of cancer.

Just as we cry and mourn over those who suffer with pain and loss, (another one recently on the fb page), we celebrate and cheer every battle and circumstance that is overcome.

Lou xx

@Sunshinedaff

Hi Lou

Yes, it is wonderful to hear about people who have battled and suffered so much, finally overcoming cancer, especially when they are a friend. It is an inspiration and encouragement to others who are coping with a cancer diagnosis and its treatments.

Rob xx