Home Cancer Expert Q&A Hub Coping With Treatments & Side Effects

It’s getting cold! Living with cancer in the winter!

hessomhessom Posts: 110 ✭✭✭

With Christmas fast approaching, the weather is turning colder day by day and it’s already dark by 6pm now!

We know that the colder months bring their own challenges, as well as moments for celebration and delight, and this can all be more complicated with cancer. What do you and your loved ones do in the winter months when living with cancer?

Comments

• cosiecosie Posts: 31 ✭✭
    I find the dark nights even more depressing. I try to take a walk in the daylight every day, just to see some sunshine! I'm thinking of getting one of those lamps that gives fake sunshine light :)
  • SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I was diagnosed it was late summer, so most of my treatment was throughout the autumn and winter and then on into spring. 
    I'm not good with the light going and the days becoming shorter and darker. Hate is a strong word, but it's close! 
    @cosie , you mentioned getting a daylight lamp. I do have one of those, I also use it for sewing at night. But like you getting out, seeing the sunlight is important. During the chemo days we would go for a drive, family bought me this massive blanket to curl under, so I would stay warm. We live very close to the coast, we would drive down to Sandbanks or Milford-on-sea, parking up on the front, go for a walk along the prom, then finding a cafe to have coffee. Sometimes I wasn't able to walk because of my bones, so I would stay in the car and watch the waves. Always peaceful. 
  • BrucieBrucie Posts: 7
    It's all about getting outside. Wrap up warm, go for a walk and enjoy the sunshine. Then you get some lovely daylight, and the house is nice and cosy when you return.  :3:3:3:3