Home Cancer Forum What's On Your Mind Today?

Hello, new here.

lovemymumlovemymum Posts: 2

Hi there. Not sure if I am posting in the right place here but I am just wanting to introduce myself. My mum has been diagnosed with Lung cancer. They are unable to operate as she has COPD and her lung function is not good enough. Initially they said she was too poorly for chemo but now she is having some ‘milder’ chemo next week. She May also be having some radiotherapy too. Hopefully we can shrink the thing a bit. Just thought I would join up here as I saw the forum whilst on here buying a card. I reckon I will have some questions as mum’s journey continues , hopefully I can gain support and get some tips on how best to help her on here. My sister had lots of chemo last year for lymphoma so she can advise my mum, but the radio we are all not too sure about. Anyway, thanks for reading and I look forward to talking to you.

Comments

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lovemymum

Hi there,

Welcome to the community, it is great you found us whilst buying a card!

I am very sorry to hear about your mum, also it seems you have been through turbulent times with your sister's diagnosis last year too. It is really hard on the whole family.

I know there are several here with a similar diagnosis as your mum, so hopefully as things progress and you want to know more etc, there will be others to chat to.

Radiotherapy is different for each cancer, it is very specifically calculated to target precise areas etc. I had breast cancer and my radiotherapy was in my chest area and neck where the lymph nodes ran.

Chemo is also very precise, I hope your mum manages it ok. It is more scary before you start, as I can imagine most think of the side effects. But there are some brilliant anti sickness drugs available now, and the chemo nurses and team will monitor your mum very carefully.

Taking things one day at a time is important, chemo is often done in cycles, but again there are so many variants, depending on the specifics of your mum's cancer. Drs really do try and tailor the meds as close as possible to get the maximum benefit.

Please don't hesitate to get in touch whenever you feel like it, to chat about anything, or nothing.

Chat soon,

Lou x

• lovemymumlovemymum Posts: 2

Thanks sunshinedaff , how weird , daffs are mine and my mum’s fave flower :) I hope your breast cancer is doing ok? My sister is now lymphoma free. Yes chemo and the side effects are a worry. Mum is already tiny so I don’t want her to start losing weight.Here’s hoping she will manage ok with it.

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lovemymum ,

Hi,

Ahh, that's lovely! It is funny I chose the name before as a sign-on for something. Usually I use a combination of pets names! Lol!!😂. But sunshinedaff came about when I was at a loss for an idea, looked out the window, saw the sunshine on my daffodils, which I also love...and bingo!! Hahaha.😊

Yes, I am well now thank you from cancer, it has all gone. Just on medication now for however long. Trying to stay healthy, live as best as I can. Not always easy.

Glad your sister is well and recovering from the lymphoma. Long may that continue.

When mum starts chemo, just come and ask anything you need to..ok?

Thinking of you all,

Lou xx

• RobertARobertA Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lovemymum

Hi

I am just writing to add my welcome to our lovely community.

It sounds as if your family has had a tough time recently. I am sorry to hear about your Mum but it is great to hear that your sister has come through her lymphoma cancer free.

As Lou @Sunshinedaff has said, there will be people to chat to who have had a similar diagnosis to your Mum and who will be pleased to talk with you.

I am so pleased that you have contacted us. We like to chat and to support one another through the treatments and beyond. 

Rob x