Home Cancer Forum What's On Your Mind Today?

Being refered

Dillon3Dillon3 Posts: 2
My daughter is being refered to stanmore hospital sarcoma cancer unit, I'm scared for her and don't know what to expect on the first appointment,  she has a tumour in her stomach,  has anyone been through this.  Manythanks.

Comments

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Dillon3,

I am so sorry to about your daughter's diagnosis. I can understand how scary and terrifying it all is. So many 'unknowns' flying around, thoughts and fears bombarding you night and day. 

I am very glad you found this community, there will be others here in a similar situation too. I am sure they will gave some helpful and useful information and tips for you.
    Your daughter should get an oncology appointment through, there are different types of oncology consultants, depending on the type of cancer and also the type of treatment being available. 

There is a brilliant article on here, I will post the link below, which gives a list of helpful questions to ask. 
    Some of the practical aspects of the appointment will probably include a physical examination, medical history etc. Depending on what information is available from tests etc the oncologist may be able to provide a timeline of treatment. But this all depends on what stage of the diagnosis your daughter is at. 
    Don't be afraid to ask questions. 

Be assured, you can come here and chat at any time about things, everyone is so supportive and friendly. You will find a lot of understanding here. 

https://cancer.livebetterwith.com/blogs/cancer/questions-first-oncology-appointment

If you have any other questions etc, just ask. Let us know how your daughter gets on.

Thinking of you,

Lou x
  • Dillon3Dillon3 Posts: 2
    Thankyou that's very helpful 
  • RobertARobertA Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Dillon3
    I don't think there is much I can add to Lou's great post but I too would like to welcome you to our friendly and supportive group. 
    It is not surprising that you are scared for your daughter. The unknown and uncertainty is so very hard for you both but hopefully it will get a little easier when you know what you are facing and have a plan of action.

You are so very welcome to our group and we will be hear to listen to and support you whenever you you want or need it. 

Rob x