Home Cancer Expert Q&A Hub Carers Corner

How soon to use natural hair dye after chemo treatment?

WeightBenderWeightBender Posts: 2
edited March 2020 in Carers Corner
My mother is 84 years old and is going on two months of post-treatment for cervical cancer. Is it to soon to use the natural hair dye?

Answers

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good morning @WeightBender,

Welcome to the community. 

When I had finished chemo, I was chatting to my hairdresser about this as I wanted to know if my hair colour was different, or grey (my main concern), would I be able to colour it? He advised me that it would be best to wait around six months before putting a colour on my scalp. As it turned out, I didn't need to use a colour after all. My hair colour did change though, from red to very dark at the back and much lighter on top, sort of two-tone! haha =)
    I am not sure if that is the same for a natural hair dye though.

I do hope your mother will make a good recovery from all the treatment she has gone through, it is a day by day, processing all that cancer does to people and their families can take a while to work through. 

Maybe others here will have some other information for you.

Lou x
  • 4Gretton4Gretton Posts: 39 ✭✭✭
    Hi @WeightBender
    my hairdresser wasn’t keen on putting colour on my hair whilst I was having chemo. I had one last touch up before I started treatment and then after that (I’m mid brown..lighter in the summer with grey coming through) after that I used a product called Wow on my roots. It’s a bit like an eye shadow with a brush and you just put it on your roots after you’ve washed your hair and that saw me through til the end of treatment.  I never lost hair with chemo but I always had a substantial loss every time I had an op. You could guarantee about 3 months after it would start coming out. Her hairdresser might know about it, but if not you can buy it on line. Hope this helps. 
  • WeightBenderWeightBender Posts: 2
    Thank you Sunshinedaff and 4Gretton for your replies. i will definitely ask my mother's hairdresser specially for the Wow.