Home Cancer Expert Q&A Hub Carers Corner

My mom and cancer

Loopy325Loopy325 Posts: 2
edited March 2020 in Carers Corner
My mom has just been diagnosed with stage 4 oesophageal cancer. She is 84 and up until now was in good health.. She is supposed to be having a stent fitted in 3 weeks but I am worried she won’t be well enough to have the op she cannot eat anything and can’t even swallow paracetamol. Is under 7 stones and her breathing is now effected. I really don’t no what to do for her.

Comments

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Loop325

I am so sorry to hear of your mum's diagnosis and the physical deterioration you are witnessing, I can understand how distressing this must be for you and her. I would definitely suggest contacting someone from her medical team as soon as possible, they too will be concerned about her lack of nutrients and possible dehydration. 
    I know there are others here who have loved ones going through this type of cancer. Hopefully they may have some insight for you in how to best help your mum.

You are very welcome here and please come and chat any time you would like to, please contact your mum's dr asap. 

Chat soon, 

Lou x

@Loopy325

Hi, 
    Was just thinking about you and wondering if you'd been able to contact any of your mom's medical team, so she could receive some help and you could get advice?

Lou x
  • Loopy325Loopy325 Posts: 2
    No it’s very hard as she is refusing any help and says she is ok. I don’t think she is she has had to have soluble paracetamol but I believe she is struggling to get fluids down. She is supposed to be having a stent fitted on the 9th of August but I’m worried she won’t be able to have it cause she is too poorly. Thankyou for thinking about me I feel so lost Linda😟
    @Loopy325

Hi Linda, good morning,

I am so sorry to hear that. I am sure it must be still a very great shock for her. It is a monumental thing to hit you. Sometimes, there is a period of 'its not really happening' even subconsciously, and our minds shut down to the reality of the situation, and we don't realise. Obviously you can see the effects, and it is very distressing. 
    I am assuming someone goes with your mum to the dr each time? 
    Are you in the UK? You could contact Macmillan Cancer Support group, have a chat with them, they are there for you too, they may have some practical advice to help you. 
    If you are in the USA, there is the American Cancer Society that are similar. 
    Linda, I honestly mean it, you may be in a different location, but here you are not alone. I know there are many others here who have loved ones with cancer. In my own family cancer has caused enormous pain and suffering. And then there was me too.  You can always chat about anything here, we will support you, and are here to listen. 

Thinking of you,

Chat soon,

Lou x