Home Cancer Expert Q&A Hub Coping With Treatments & Side Effects

Damaged nails due to chemo

CloughieCloughie Posts: 11
My nails are all peeling away due to chemo. They look unsightly but also they are really rough and catch on things can be sore too. Has anyone else experienced this and has any helpful tips. Have been told it could be 6 months before they are back to normal. 

Comments

• JaneyBJaneyB Posts: 8
    I don’t know whether we’re supposed to mention actual products but I have the same problem and have found that ‘Back to Life Recovery ‘ by Nailsinc to be brilliant. I got it from Amazon and you just paint it on twice a week and it protects the nails and makes them stronger.
  • CloughieCloughie Posts: 11
    Thank you Janey will give that a whirl. 😊
  • hessomhessom Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
    JaneyB said:
    I don’t know whether we’re supposed to mention actual products but I have the same problem and have found that ‘Back to Life Recovery ‘ by Nailsinc to be brilliant. I got it from Amazon and you just paint it on twice a week and it protects the nails and makes them stronger.
    Hi @JaneyB Welcome! I just wanted to say - you are absolutely allowed to share product suggestions to other sites. 

We obviously have our own range of products in our shop, and our shop team make sure they're suitable for patients, but we also recognise that there are other products and websites out there and want our Community members to be free to share whatever works best for them (from wherever!)

The only rule here is that we want to make sure no one shares any links to dangerous websites, which I'm sure you'd agree with :) hope this helps!
  • ConnieConnie Posts: 3
    Hi my nails were exactly the same. I use almond oil every night and paint my nails with pink gel coat by perfect formula once weekly. Hope this helps x
  • VeritercVeriterc Posts: 19
    Oh for dermatologists who understand cancer side effects. I had painful spliitting nails, and commercial products weren't strong enough to treat these.  It wasn't until I came across an article from a doctor at Guy's skin clinic that  found he really knew what we were going through.  Really with-it, he recommends French manicures to strengthen nails, but if you've no nail to do this he prescribed Solvazinc tablets (on prescription).  These took three months to work their way up nail, but I now have proper nails with no splits.  Suggest you Google to see if there is a good dermatology clinic near you then insist your GP refers you there. Good luck 
  • NanaBubblesNanaBubbles Posts: 149 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone

Last week I had a manicure as a treat! My nails are in a dreadful state following immunotherapy treatments ongoing, splitting, peeling Etc. The manicurist told me to put some warm water in a bowl with a few drops of olive oil and a few drops of lemon juice and soak my finger nails in that for 20 - 30 minutes twice a week to strengthen them. When they begin to improve you can reduce the frequency to once a week/fortnight.

I have to confess that I have not tried this yet but thought I would give it a go. I usually use a clear nail protector product like Nails Inc Nail Kale, so thought I might do the soak when I take off the protector if that makes sense. Janet B’s Nails Inc Back to Life Recovery sounds good too.

Good luck!

Michele