Home Cancer Expert Q&A Hub Coping With Treatments & Side Effects

Letrozole side effects

PositiveLady10PositiveLady10 Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

Has anybody else experienced severe itching while taking Letrozole.

My arms especially at night are itching like mad. The breast care nurse told me to persevere with it as I’ve only been on it a week and to take Periton along side it?

Answers

• RobertARobertA Posts: 1,176 mod

@PositiveLady10

Good evening Barbara

Lovely to hear from you though I am sorry to hear about your problem with itching. It must be awful, especially in this hot weather.

Unfortunately, I am not able to help with your issue but I am sure that someone in the group will be in touch before long.

I do hope that everything is going well for you otherwise.

Rob x

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019

@PositiveLady10

Good morning Barbara,

It is lovely to hear from you again, I do hope you are recovering well after surgery, I know it is early days still and a lot to adjust to. I have been thinking of you.

Definitely take some antihistamine, I have heard a lot that Letrozole and Tamoxifen can cause itchiness. I take an antihistamine every day when I take Letrozole. It may also help to try taking it at a different time of day, some people find it better taken at night, others in the morning, are you also taking calcium tablets?

This hot weather of course will be making everything seem worse too. When you next see your surgeon/oncologist mention it to them too. I do hope after a while the symptoms do settle down for you.

Thinking of you,

🤗

Lou x

• PositiveLady10PositiveLady10 Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

Hi Lou, lovely to hear from you.

I am going to stop taking Letrozole for a week to see if the itching stops then i’ll Know it is that.

I can’t take Adcal which is a calcium tablet but I’m seeing my Consultant on Weds so will discuss it with him then.

I will also get my stitchEs taken out and pathology report and find out whether I need radiotherapy so a big day on Wednesday.

I hope you are enjoying this lovely weather, speak soon,

Barbara xx

@PositiveLady10

Hi Barbara,

Ah, ok. I understand that. I have just started taking it again after having a month off. My oncologist suggested that it see if my symptoms alleviated, but since I did, I have done so much I can't tell. So back on them, and monitoring it.

Will be thinking of you on Wednesday at your appointment, let me know how you get on.

Yes, it's been great having sunshine again, got to go and pick the strawberries and blackcurrants now.

Enjoy the weekend, resting!

Chat soon,

Lou xx

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 679 mod

@PositiveLady10

Good morning Barbara😊,

I hope you are still recovering well after the surgery. Has the itching stopped since stopping Letrozole? I hope your appointment went ok yesterday.

Thinking of you,

Lou x

• PositiveLady10PositiveLady10 Posts: 77 ✭✭✭
    Hi Lou,
    Consultant said all cancer has gone and lymph nodes are clear,so all good news.
    Saw Oncologist today and she has told me to stop Letrozole and has given me a different tablet to try.The itching is still keeping me awake so,she has told me to take a 2 week break before starting the new tablet.
    I was really upset today as she has also said that I have got to have 3 weeks Radiotherapy,I wasn't expecting that!!! Reason for it is because the total area involved was over the guideline of 50mm mine was 59mm.
    I know that you had it Lou,how was it for you and how have you been since?
    I hope that you are keeping well and not doing to much.
    I forgot to say,I have got to go and have the seroma drained tomorrow haha it just never ends.
    Take care,
    Barbara x
  • RobertARobertA Posts: 1,176 mod
    edited July 2019
    @PositiveLady10

Hi Barbara
    Sorry about the itching, but the cancer has gone👍🍾 Yippee. I am so so pleased for you. 

I have had radiotherapy, different area, but I found it fairly comfortable and no comparison to everything you have been through already.  I think you may find it a little tiring after a few sessions and the skin can get a little sore. As you know,  Lou has had similar to yours and she will be in  touch shortly I am sure. 

All the best.

Rob x 
    @PositiveLady10

Hi Barbara, 

Sorry I haven't replied sooner, I have been having a few issues posting comments!

That is wonderful news to hear the cancer has been successfully removed. Really fantastic news! 

I am sorry you had an upsetting day yesterday after hearing about needing to still have radiotherapy. The best way to approach it is to see it as a 'crossing the t's and dotting the i's ' necessity. I think it is a good thing, just ensuring they have captured everything. 

So you have been through chemo, by far the worst part of your treatment. Radiotherapy is a lot easier to handle. It will be tiring, as you go everyday to the hospital, and the treatment itself causes fatigue which will be cumulative as the weeks go on, and then continue for a while afterwards. You may experience 'sunburn' on the areas that will be zapped, a good moisturiser is essential to help protect the skin. 
    Don't worry about it, the nurses will explain everything in great detail beforehand, and they will always make sure you are comfortable before starting the treatment. 
    One of the hardest parts is having to remain absolutely still for the duration of being lined up and when the machine is going. That may be uncomfortable especially if like me you have to have your arm above your head! 

I was ok through radiotherapy, although I did get my first bad cold since diagnosis and I think that is not unusual too. I do remember bursting into tears after my last session, I think it was because that was the end of active treatment for me, it was overwhelming. Don't be surprised if you find your emotions all over the place afterwards.

I hope you find an opportunity to celebrate your good news Barbara, you are almost through this. Those days waiting for chemo to begin are behind you now. 
    I hope the draining went ok today, how are you healing now?

Me not doing too much?? Hahahaha!! I have had a very busy couple of months, trying to get all sorts of things done. 

Have a peaceful evening, 

Chat soon, 

Lou xx