Home Cancer Forum Helping a Loved One Through Cancer

My Dad

My dad has just been diagnosed with lung cancer and I'm devastated, I keep a brave face in front of him but inside I'm broken, it breaks my heart to see my dad so down I just need to get a grip but I can't seem to

Comments

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Brooksybabe2504

Hi, I am so very sorry to hear about your dad's diagnosis. I do understand how devastated you are. When cancer is diagnosed, there are so many emotions, thoughts and questions that arise, all at once. Many of them terrifying, cancer causes so much fear, and in the early days where things may still be unknown it is especially hard.

I just wanted to say, it's ok to cry, and feel the way you do, it is a necessary part of all of this.

Your dad and your family will feel like you don't know what's hit you, and you are living in a whirlwind with everything that has to be done, and tests etc your dad has to go through.

If we can help you here, in any way, please just come and talk with us. You may have questions that you want to ask but don't want to pressure your dad with. Someone here may have answers that could help you.

Your dad's oncologist will go through all possible treatments and procedures available that are best suited to treating the cancer. It is probably going to be a long road for you all, and the best course is to take each day, one at a time. Don't try and think about the 'whole' of it all at once. Just deal with what's in front of you today.

Are you living locally to your dad, at home, or nearby?

Please come and chat with us, you are not alone in this. There are many others here who have been diagnosed with lung cancer, and other cancers, all in different stages of treatment or diagnosis. You will have a lot of support here, and in turn you will then be stronger to support your lovely dad.

I hope to chat with you soon,

Lou x

• RobertARobertA Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Brooksybabe2504

Hi there

I am so sorry to hear about your Dad’s diagnosis.

When you are told you have cancer, very often it becomes a life-changing experience for you, your family and close friends. There is a lot to come to terms with and the news can be a great shock and throw you into confusion. It is very common to have emotions of fear, loss of confidence and control, but this usually gets easier as the shock wears off , the situation becomes more real and you have a treatment programme in place .

When I was first diagnosed, I struggled to take in everything the Consultant was saying to me and I now always take my wife with me to every meeting and we make notes.

I am delighted you have found our friendly Community. We may have different cancers, but we are here to chat, to listen, to support and encourage each other. Please keep in touch.

Rob