Struggling Carer

Comments

• RobertARobertA Posts: 574 ✭✭✭✭

Hi@Clarkie66

I am sorry to hear of your husband’s bowel cancer diagnosis. 

When you are told you have cancer, it is a life changing experience for all the family. There is so much to come to terms with and the treatments are often long term and distressing. During this time all of the attention tends to be concentrated on the needs of the patient and those of the carer can easily be overlooked. 

It is entirely understandable and natural that you find it hard because it is. Your home life, your social life, your emotions, your whole family identity has been changed. Of course you are tired, you are coping with so much and without a break. Everything depends on you.

I don’t think you should feel guilty about being ‘short’ in your comments/ replies. I am living with cancer and my wife tells me off just as much as she ever has. 🤣. I like to know how she feels and it would not be natural for her to be always nice and sweet just because I have cancer. 

I love how you say that life is for the living and yes, there are so many amazing and inspirational people you meet through cancer. Quite a few of them post in our Community and I hope that you will keep in touch. We love to chat, listen to and support one another on our journey through this awful illness. 

Rob x