Home Cancer Expert Q&A Hub Diagnosis & Appointments

Signet ring cancer (SRCC)

JackieOJackieO Posts: 1
edited April 2020 in Diagnosis & Appointments

My 44 year old daughter has been diagnosed with Signet ring cancer in her peritoneum which we are told is very aggressive and terminal. We are told this is a rare form of cancer and have found little on the Internet about this type. She is receiving chemo and the Dr's are treating her for cervical cancer which I they believe is where it started. She has just had her 2nd dose of chemo. Is anyone able to tell us what their experiences of this are please? Thank you

Answers

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JackieO

Hi Jackie,

Just wanted to welcome you to the community, I am so sorry to hear of your daughter's recent diagnosis. I understand how completely shocked and devastated you all must be feeling. I am not familiar with this type of cancer, hopefully there may be someone here who has some insight they can share with you.

I hope your daughter is managing to cope with the chemo and she isn't suffering too much from side effects etc. It is very gruelling and the effects tend to be cumulative. I do hope that your daughter will see a positive result with the chemo and it will be effective.

There are many of us here who have had all kinds of treatment for different cancers, and many here also who are supporting loved ones through cancer. If at any time you would like to chat, or anything, we are all here to listen, provide support and understanding.

Thinking of your daughter and your family.

Lou x

• RobertARobertA Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JackieO

Good evening Jackie

So sorry to hear of your daughter’s diagnosis. It must have been devastating news for your daughter and all of the family and I hope that there is someone in our group who can give you more information.

There is little more that I can add to Lou’s comments other than to offer my own welcome to our community. We are always here to chat,listen and support one another and you are very welcome.

Rob x

• snowflakesnowflake Posts: 1

@JackieO

Hello Jackie I'm new to the group and I'm sorry to hear of your daughters diagnosis, I was looking up something else on The Cancer Research pages and I came across this, I hope it helps.

Signet cell cancer

Signet cell cancer is a rare type of cancer that starts in glandular cells.

It is most often found in the stomach but can develop in other parts of the body. This includes the: 

• breast
    • bowel
    • pancreas
    • bladder
    • lung

What are signet cells?

Our body is made up of billions of different types of cells that can only be seen under a microscope. These cells are grouped according to the job they do or the type of body tissue they make up. 

Signet cells are a type of epithelial cell called glandular cells. Epithelial tissue is skin tissue, covering and lining the body both inside and out.

Signet cell cancer is also called signet ring cell cancer. This is because under a microscope the cells look like signet rings.