Pain in ribs

I had a masectomy and a sentinel node removed 10 days ago and I feel like I have been kicked in the ribs!!

The pain will take my breath away and even going a short distance as a passenger in a car is proving unbearable.

The wound has healed really well and the drain hole is closed but this pain is unbearable.. is it normal?

Also I am really tired all the time; showering exhausts me, I could sleep all day. xx

Comments

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭

Hi @diddydi68

I am really sorry to hear you are in such pain, although I do remember having intense pain in my rib area too after my mastectomy, going in the car was an absolute nightmare! It will get better over time, sorry, not a quick fix. I think it is not unusual, you might also get a 'searing, take your breath away' pain along the scar line from time to time. I still get that 3 years later, I saw my oncologist in May, she said that is normal. Do you have adequate pain relief to take? If you don't speak to your breast care nurses and they will arrange medication via your surgeon/oncologist. I am glad the wound and area are healing well, that is great.

Not surprised you are extremely tired, it is a huge operation you have had. It will take a while to regain your strength. Try not to do too much, rest is what you need right now.

If you want to chat please feel free to message me or chat here.

Sending a gentle hug🤗

Lou xx