Recently diagnosed

Mcdonald5050Mcdonald5050 Posts: 1

Hi...i was diagnosed with breast cancer the other week....my treatment plan is surgery in 2wks to remove my left breast then radiotherapy for 6 wks then tablets for 5 yr.....i have been caught early through a mammogram...im only 53 and so so scared.....anyone able to tell me how i will feel with the radiotherapy....i want reconstruction so spk to my breast cancer nurses this wk....thank you x

Comments

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭

@Mcdonald5050 ,

Hello, a very warm welcome to the community.

I am sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis, but very glad it has been found early. I understand how scared you are feeling, it is very terrifying at the beginning. At first you may not be able to process everything going on, your mind and emotions will be all over the place. It may seem like you are caught in a whirlwind, needing to be here ,there and everywhere .

I was your age when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2015. I had chemo, a mastectomy, and radiotherapy too.

You have a long road ahead of you, take it one day at a time. Be positive, it will really help you get through. Surgery is a big operation, but you will recover over time. The drs and nurses will explain in detail everything you need to know.

Radiotherapy is just like a big X-ray machine. You will have a scan before so they can measure precisely where to do it. If in the UK, you may have some tiny tattoo dots put on, that is to help line you up.

Mostly, there are other possible side effects, you will experience tiredness and fatigue which increases over time. Your skin may also become sunburned and red. You will need to use plenty of moisturiser everyday. You have to remain very still throughout the time, that is sometimes tricky as if you have your arm above your head it will be uncomfortable. Again the dr and nurses will go through it with you in a lot of detail.

Do not be afraid. Think of the end result...no cancer.

I am on medication too, started on Tamoxifen, now on Letrozole. If you are not in menopause you will probably be given Tamoxifen.

If you would like to know more about anything I am happy to tell you. Please don’t hesitate to message me or chat here.

The main thing is I no longer have cancer.

Chat soon I hope,

Lou x