Eating with no stomach

Hello All

Got a question re eating after total gastrectomy.

Had op three weeks ago.

Eating still difficult, heartburn and bile reflux painful, even with Gaviscon.

Any advice and experiences gratefully received

Tagged:

Comments

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello @Rolly

It is lovely to 'meet' you, welcome to our friendly community. I hope you will find it a place of support, and encouragement. Everyone here is very friendly and supportive.

Just reading your post I can only imagine what you must have gone through and still enduring.

That must be so hard for you. Were you given a timeline for your recovery by the surgeon?

I don't have any knowledge of this, I would suggest contacting your medical team to let them know if things are not improving as they should be. Three weeks is still very early days I would imagine.

Hopefully someone else may have a similar experience to yourself, where you can find some info.

Please come and chat at any time. I really hope things improve for you very soon.

Lou x

• RobertARobertA Posts: 707 ✭✭✭✭

Good evening @Rolly

I am sorry to hear about your difficulty with eating. I do hope that at least, you are now cancer free.

I have no knowledge of your situation but I am pleased that you have found our friendly and supportive community and perhaps there will be someone who is in a similar position and able to discuss it with you.

I do hope that you will keep in touch and let us know how you get on

Rob

• GeorgeGeorge Posts: 1

I too have had a total stomach removal and am 7 months now since surgery still losing weight but I am told it should level out. The dietary requirements are obvious little often high calorie. I have found that having a good safe routine of what and when I am eating has helped. Expecting to be able to experience eating as before and experimenting was fine and have learned what is ok and what is not. I had stage4 cancer and a T4 tumour which was removed with my stomach and severe chemotherapy before and after worked for me for now. Trying to be positive everyday helps. I hope your eating improves and early days yet it will get better but a slow process. Hope this helps.

• RobertARobertA Posts: 707 ✭✭✭✭

@George

Hi George

Great to hear from you. I am sure that telling us about your experience is helpful and valuable to others in a similar situation.

You have been through an awful lot and I hope that you are now cancer free.

Welcome to our friendly group. I do hope that you will keep in touch.

Rob

• RollyRolly Posts: 2

@George

Thanks for that George. Yes, a long and hard road, but positivity will overcome. Eating is getting easier day by day but do miss tucking in to a Sunday roast...

Stay well fella

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 854 ✭✭✭✭✭

@George

Hi George,

Thank you so much for sharing your story which is so helpful for others in the sane situation as yourself.

I can only imagine what you have been through, and are going through adjusting to a different way of life since your surgery and treatment. I am so glad you are finding a way through and you have had success with chemo and surgery. You may not feel like it, but I think you are very brave and courageous. I hope you continue to make good progress in your recovery.

😊

Lou x